• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake

This was my 4th worlds. From a players' viewpoint I have not seen a smoother operation in any previous worlds. From check in to turning in my scorecard after my last round on Friday I felt like I was involved in something special.
Many thanks to the volunteers and TDs of the courses. Special thanks to the spotters on 8 and 9 gold out there all day with little shade. Thanks to the people bringing water out to the courses all day long.
I also want to thank the other players that I played with over the 6 rounds. No bad attitudes and professionalism was shown all week long.
Once again to all the volunteers who gave up a week of work or vacation or time from their families to make my experience better, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I would like to thank all the volunteers that showed up to help. Everybody had a great attitude and accepted all the jobs I gave them even if some of the jobs sucked. We had a great team that worked really hard to make things run smooth this week.

I wish we had better accommodations for you guys, you deserved it. I felt pretty bad that many of my volunteers had to buy their own food late in the week because they were tired of eating the same crap all week dispite our significant budget for volunteer food($1000/day for ~40 people). Our only variance from the bugers and hotdogs was when they tried to feed us day old leftovers from food that Vibram and Innova had generously bought for player events.

I'm sorry to the person that won the basket in the volunteer raffle only to have it taken away when the Svitkos reneged on a promise they had made. The basket had been promised long before the tourney started and was even awarded to the lucky(everyone thought at the time) volunteer at the awards ceremony only to be taken away before he could leave the park.

A slew of volunteers worked their butts off to run at great worlds and were disrespected and mistreated behind the scenes. What a shame, good luck finding volunteers in the future.

-2013 pro worlds volunteer coordinator
I was hoping they would somehow pull this all together, but I guess Jay and Deb have decided to burn all their bridges with the rest of the disc golf community. Sorry that you got stuck in the middle, but thanks for your hard work.

Must have missed that earlier thread, so I'm guessing these owners/operators are not disc golfers?

I played a dubs tournament earlier this year run by Jay and Deb.

Jay was recording everything people bought with their funny money. My partner snagged a blank stormtrooper ion. Jay inspected the disc and wrote down "1 white Gyro".

I told him it was actually an Ion. He said it was clearly marked as a Gyro. I told him that is the technology used by Maple Valley Plastics and that it was 100% an ion. I pulled mine out to show him.

He didn't strike me as much of a disc golfer. Especially not one who runs a pro shop for a living.

I played a dubs tournament earlier this year run by Jay and Deb.

Jay was recording everything people bought with their funny money. My partner snagged a blank stormtrooper ion. Jay inspected the disc and wrote down "1 white Gyro".

I told him it was actually an Ion. He said it was clearly marked as a Gyro. I told him that is the technology used by Maple Valley Plastics and that it was 100% an ion. I pulled mine out to show him.

He didn't strike me as much of a disc golfer. Especially not one who runs a pro shop for a living.

Thanks for the laugh :D

I was hoping they would somehow pull this all together, but I guess Jay and Deb have decided to burn all their bridges with the rest of the disc golf community. Sorry that you got stuck in the middle, but thanks for your hard work.

I dunno, if I had won that raffle I think I wouldn't have relented and would have left with that basket.

If it was a raffle for the basket then how can he keep the raffle money AND the basket??? That's a scam where I come from.

If it was a raffle for the basket then how can he keep the raffle money AND the basket??? That's a scam where I come from.

I am pretty sure there was no money for the raffle, I believe all the volunteers were entered for volunteering

This.

Maybe next year at Indiana States they will be generous and give a $12 voucher in the player's pack. You still have to pay for parking though!

I read around a little on Facebook and just finished the posts about States. What a shame that such a nice location for disc golf is seemingly being ruined by greed.

I was one of those volunteers. I drove over an hour each way for five consecutive days, crawled around in thorns and poison ivy finding discs for players, did my best to provide some crowd control for the MPO lead card on Friday, and even helped the PDGA with live scoring and update while carrying around the big current score sign for the lead women's card on Saturday. Was it a lot of work? Absolutely. Was it a lot of fun? You bet. But if the information I was given about how the people in charge of volunteer benefits (food, raffles, etc) is correct, those people did everything in their power to profit financially from the donations made to reward the volunteers. My understanding is Innova donated $6000 to feed and benefit the volunteers. We got hot dogs and hamburgers everyday and had to wait in long lines to get them. We were offered leftover pizza (pizza that Vibram provided for a putting contest the day before) one day and two day old leftover chicken another day. Seriously? But the basket being pulled from the winner's hands really took the cake. Probably leftover cake. The volunteer coordinators did a great job trying to provide the players with all the support they could with nowhere near enough volunteers to do it. But whoever was in charge of thanking the volunteers should be ashamed of themselves.

probably. good write up.

If you remember a thread earlier that tip-toed around this topic, it's not the club. It's the owners/operators of Lemon Lake.

For the record, I tried not to tip toe around it here when they announced that the baskets were going to be auctioned off.
No secret that the Svitkos only care about the money coming in that place.

Which sucks, because Brian Cummings is one of the best dudes in disc golf. Period. And he has to constantly fight those clowns to get anything done.