• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC

just the last part of the youtube link: 6q4QAWSED0c&fs

I've done that at Flyboy on Hole 5 ... totally on purpose :|

I honestly thought I was going nuts. So this was actually there?

Oh yeah, it was.

Other memorable quotes:

re: The host hotel w/ the hot breakfast buffet and "wi-hi" (maybe he was)

'The disc can hit the front of the chains, then DEJECT!'

Constantly referring to 'unheralded support' when I think he meant 'unparalleled' (I think Greenwell tried to correct him once on that.)

At least Nikko was never on the lead card so we didn't have to constantly hear about 'the pride of the Show-Me State' like the Worlds coverage.

I guess the best you can say is that maybe DG has its own announcer version of Dizzy Dean.

I realize he's got some cred for his place in the 'history of the sport', but is he actually getting paid for this? :wall:

A few things that went unnoticed ...

During the week there were a couple infractions that went unnoticed by the general public.

I witnessed Yeti and the Beard improperly play the drop zones on 7 (they both put one foot outside the drop zone boundaries - which is supposed to be played like a teepad) and were subsequently given warnings (and I had to make a sign specifically reiterating drop zone rules and posted it at the teepad on 7). (Dave tried to say he lifted his foot when he threw his cut roller, but I saw him improperly play the drop zone).

Nikko's caddy was wearing a sleeveless shirt and showing man-(side)-cleevage, which Nikko should have known was against the rules.

When the PDGA Event Manager attempted to make contact with Nikko, he (Nikko) didn't even stop walking and gave a short (somewhat rude) response.

Found myself disappointed with "Top Level Pros" not following rules and being rude to Marshalls.

I don't know if DGP.TV aired any of the distance showcase, but I had a great viewing spot on the deck right above the throwers.

Let me just say this : as impressive as Wiggins' distance throws are in the various youtube videos I've seen, it's far more astonishing in person. The kid is simply inhuman! I think it was his 1st or 2nd shot where he started jumping and pointing in the air after he let go, that ended up like 60 feet across the road.

I was also extremely surprised by Nikko's distance. In terms of regular golf shots he may not have the distance of a Schusterick or McBeth, but when he's able to go 360, he can really let it rip.
I played a doubles fundraiser with Keltik at Johnson St a while back and he gave a distance display at the end. He was launching them from the shelter to the road into a pretty decent headwind and getting them 500'+ easily. It was funny b/c he ran out of discs and asked for another and somebody gave him a Nuke or something (I can't remember) and Wiggins was like "Pretty stable?" and the guy was like "Oh yeah, really stable" and Wiggins flipped it right over like everything else. He's a freak.

I have a question concerning the 3rd round with Will, Steve B., Steve R., and Nate.
On hole #7, this hole has the bamboo barracade with the opening in front. The only way into the basket is to go through the opening. It isn't a long shot from tee to green just a straight drive.
Question: Why didn't most of the guys on that card throw a straight shot like Brinster did? I think Will, Nate, and Rico throw some type of hyzer shot which put them in difficult position for a second shot. I saw this style of shots on several other holes and it makes me scratch my head and wonder.

Nobody properly answered your question...it's because the hole is slight downhill
as well as typically having a headwind from what I saw. Flat releases would expose the bottom and turn the disc causing them to miss the doorway.

During the week there were a couple infractions that went unnoticed by the general public.

I witnessed Yeti and the Beard improperly play the drop zones on 7 (they both put one foot outside the drop zone boundaries - which is supposed to be played like a teepad) and were subsequently given warnings (and I had to make a sign specifically reiterating drop zone rules and posted it at the teepad on 7). (Dave tried to say he lifted his foot when he threw his cut roller, but I saw him improperly play the drop zone).

Nikko's caddy was wearing a sleeveless shirt and showing man-(side)-cleevage, which Nikko should have known was against the rules.

When the PDGA Event Manager attempted to make contact with Nikko, he (Nikko) didn't even stop walking and gave a short (somewhat rude) response.

Found myself disappointed with "Top Level Pros" not following rules and being rude to Marshalls.

You're reading too much into this. I was 3ft behind Nikko at that moment. The dude was telling Nikko that his caddy had to wear sleeves (valid) or hed get stroked the next day...but on the walk from 16 to 17? He could have easily waited until the end of the round.

Dont forget you also came up on us in doubles to tell us about our card mate's infraction. They both threw 2 out of bounds on # 10. Then the first partner made it in on his third try. The second partner threw and was OB on his third try. You came up on us and said that the 2nd partner wasnt allowed his third try because the 1st partners throw was "already in bounds." Lol. A pretty crazy ruling that we ignored.

So everyone makes mistakes....but I agree, I've found that most pro's are rife with drama and can be kind of aloof when they are competing.

Got to try the TeeBoxx vending machine at the USDGC:
1376579_10201981720014998_615439521_n.jpg

If you purchased the general admission ticket to get into the USDGC you recieved a pre-paid gift card from TeeBoxx to use their vending machine set up in front of the pro shop. When you swiped your card you got to pick one disc out of the machine. All the discs in the machine were max weight USDGC DX Rocs (I chose bright Orange). They posted on fb late Saturday that they had given away 700 discs! Very cool!
Here's the disc I got out of the machine:
orangeDXRoc_zps87c35163.jpg

Watching McFlySoHigh's video coverage of the championships last round. Here's a question for the most ardent dg nerd/geek/whatever, how many times, during a 'major' tournaments' last round has there been four different disc manufacturers represented?

Dont forget you also came up on us in doubles to tell us about our card mate's infraction. They both threw 2 out of bounds on # 10. Then the first partner made it in on his third try. The second partner threw and was OB on his third try. You came up on us and said that the 2nd partner wasnt allowed his third try because the 1st partners throw was "already in bounds." Lol. A pretty crazy ruling that we ignored.

So everyone makes mistakes....but I agree, I've found that most pro's are rife with drama and can be kind of aloof when they are competing.

Hey that was ME (1st partner)! lol I literally just walked away from him. I suppose it was rude to walk away BUT so is false claiming after I just threw our 8th shot in bounds. BOOOO :wall:

Watching McFlySoHigh's video coverage of the championships last round. Here's a question for the most ardent dg nerd/geek/whatever, how many times, during a 'major' tournaments' last round has there been four different disc manufacturers represented?

I'd take a shot at this and say probably not many and perhaps never before, mainly for the fact that for a long time there were barely three manufacturers with sponsored players that could compete at that level, let alone four or more. Occasionally you might have seen a Gateway guy crash a lead card (McCray or Sinclair or Nikko), but usually it was Innova and Discraft heavily represented on the top cards at majors.

Look at it this way, since the advent of sponsored "teams", Innova and Discraft have won all the Worlds (MPO) and all but one of the USDGCs (Nikko being the lone exception). Pretty sure the same can be said of the international majors as well.

Well, I for one think it's a good thing that there are so many new manufacturers, it definitely added a bit of intrigue for me watching the USDGC's final card. There's a lot of good players, courses,companies, dg coverage and plastic out there right now. Good time to be a disc golf junkie.

You know it kind of reminds me of skateboarding in the 80's. You had Powell & Peralta and you had Santa Cruz, and then the next thing you know....BAM! There's like a gazillion boards out.

Hey that was ME (1st partner)! lol I literally just walked away from him. I suppose it was rude to walk away BUT so is false claiming after I just threw our 8th shot in bounds. BOOOO :wall:

Nothing but cheaters in Hickory is what I always say! :D

Latest posts