• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

My guess:

Bethel... :)

I like Bethel alot, next to no traffic and a very underrated course. There is room for expansion too. It just baffles me that a private university would consider letting the course that is supposed to be private and I have had some people tell me that I am "not welcome to play it unless your with someone from the university" would let general public use it for this. Then you have to factor that the course needs to get expanded in the next under 365 days, who will be doing it Mike Snelson? Just like he was telling everyone a year and a half ago that last spring acorn would be shutdown for a major overhaul and it never happened and some miracle happened where the deal didnt happen.The guy does alot for disc golf owning a shop, running tourneys and so on but really should keep some things tight lipped so to speak. If that is who your expecting to come through and get this done fast, I got a 20 dollar bill to say it does not happen in time for worlds

Tentative - Depends if I can make a trip to practice...and get 3 vacation days additional through a health program at work.

I'm planning on being there with my two youngest boys as they compete. Being from Minnesota and family that still lives there (Plymouth) I already have a place to stay. Hoping to make the drive from SC to MN with some others from my area that will be traveling to the AM Worlds.

Emporia and Minneapolis are about the same distance from home. Would love to be there, but much has to fall into place. Hard not to seek a 3peat.

That right there might make me go. I have no rating, not even a member of the PDGA - yet. :p

pDGA site says 600+ competitors just for AMs. nuts. but you need a # and i believe you will need to take the officials test.

it is 500 points gained in any AM division

Incorrect... 500 points is for Advanced only. The others are tiered down to zero if you're overseas.

200 points was all that was needed for MM1 this year. Women's division are way less...

Also, you can play the in age restricted divisions even if you don't earn points in those... you just have to meet the age requirements.

Qualification Criteria
Top Point earners on 2012 PDGA Tour:
Minimum Standards: MA1 500 pts, MM1 200 pts, MG1 50 pts, FW1 15 pts, FM1 15 pts,
MJ1 150 pts, MJ2 100 pts, FJ1 6 pts, FJ2 6 pts.
Younger Divisions - all male and female Amateur members eligible for the Junior III and Junior IV divisions
in 2013 who completed a PDGA Tour event in 2012.
Older Divisions - all male Amateur members eligible for Senior Grandmaster or older divisions in 2013
& all female Amateur members eligible for Grandmaster or older divisions in 2013 who
completed a PDGA Tour event in 2012.
International - all current Overseas Amateur members (country other than USA or Canada)
who completed a PDGA Tour event in 2012.

That right there might make me go. I have no rating, not even a member of the PDGA - yet. :p

There was one guy with NO Rating at all in this years MM1 field. I think he got in via the waitlist. He was actually recognized as having the highest PDGA # in the whole tournament.

Shot like 106 in the first round... played 3 more rounds then quit.

So it's best to qualify if you really want to go, but there's a chance anyone can play. Still have to get a # and pass the test.

So if I play rec how many points/tourney can I expect? Is there a difference in the points per tier? The only reason I would go to Am Worlds is not because I think I can win anything it just sounds like fun. But if I have to play a zillion tourneys between now and December I don't know how appealing that is considering my families schedule.

you get points based on the tier and the number of people that you beat.

I'm going! i had a blast in Emporia even though i didn't play well, and Minnesota is my dads home state so I'm gonna have to squeak out a win in 19 and under!

So if I play rec how many points/tourney can I expect? Is there a difference in the points per tier? The only reason I would go to Am Worlds is not because I think I can win anything it just sounds like fun. But if I have to play a zillion tourneys between now and December I don't know how appealing that is considering my families schedule.

worlds 2015 is in battle creek, mi fyi
since you are right by there (i assume fromyour location) you could wait until then and really work on your game.
honestly i went unprepared in 2007 and it wasnt that much fun getting my butt handed to me the whole time. much better to go witht he mindset that you can compete

Incorrect... 500 points is for Advanced only.
I think he meant that you could play in any Am division in regular tournaments and get points. Granted the higher your division level and the higher the tournament tier, the more you get for each person you beat or tie.

Page 4 of this document.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2013_Tour_Standards.pdf

Really the quickest way to get the points is to just play in one super large tournament like Bowling Green Ams and do reasonably well in it.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/77625

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99563

I think he meant that you could play in any Am division in regular tournaments and get points. Granted the higher your division level and the higher the tournament tier, the more you get for each person you beat or tie.

exactly

Ah... I re-read it... and since the guy was asking if he could take is MA1 points and play Masters, then correct answer is then he needs 200 points in any amateur division.

Very easy to do if you play some A-tiers and finish in the middle of the pack.

This precisely. When I started the tournament season this year, I did the math of how many points I normally average per tournament and then divided that by the 500 points necessary. I was totally unaware of the formula. So I signed up for every tournament I could from March to June, much to the eye-rolling of my wife.

I guesstimated that I would achieve 540 points based upon past experience. Now, I must have really stepped up my game this year as well as misjudged the importance of playing in B and A Tiers, because I grossly underestimated how many points I would actually earn.

I still had a few tournaments where I only took away 80-100 points, but I also had two tournaments at 300-320 and my most recent one should net approximately 640 (it still has not updated yet apparently). Instead of squeaking by with 540 like the original plan, I am now sitting at 1550. And I almost had talked my wife into letting me drive the 13 hours to Bowling Green.

The trick really is determining what division to play in. I am sitting at high Intermediate or middle Advanced. Now that I know that I do not need the points, I would now play strictly Advanced, but at the time where my major concern was qualifying because this tournament is my home, I played the game of maximizing my points. At the beginning of the year when I signed up for all these tournaments I had no way of knowing that I would be playing considerably better this year, so when I signed up for Intermediate, that was where I truly believed I belonged in order to place well.

Thankfully it did not matter, but in most instances I guessed wrong (like I knew what I was going to score before the tournament...). In one tournament where I barely took first in Intermediate, if I had played Advanced and finished place-wise much worse, I still would have netted 100 more points because there were more bottom feeding advanced players. However, the next tournament where I stepped up to play advanced (which I did not regret), if I had played Intermediate I would have placed much higher and would have earned 80 more points than I did.

Page 4 of this document.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2013_Tour_Standards.pdf

Really the quickest way to get the points is to just play in one super large tournament like Bowling Green Ams and do reasonably well in it.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/77625

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99563

If it doesnt fill with invited players, you dont need any points. Just be ready to pay the day it opens to everyone. I dont think that it will fill unless they have a low cap. At 244 ADV men, you should be fine not achieving the points.

Latest posts