• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Tourney Videos

Cale as always gets the most style points, dude is the James Dean of disc golf!

Absolutely. I was just saying to my friend yesterday that I would describe his style of play as "swashbuckling". Love watching Cale play.

Also, as I was typing that, this just happened.

OK so I stand corrected, the ball golf explanation makes no sense either.
Not so fast. I think we all are on the same page that we want to grow discgolf, offer the pros a decent living by playing discgolf and getting it into TV.

For a noob watching discgolf and ballgolf is about equally boring. There is no understanding for certain shots, irons, cool discs or anything that is really obvious and exciting to us here. We don't have membership fees of $15000/year to buy whatever TV rating and excitement we want. And we don't want discgolf to be for rich guys only.

We have to come up with something else to make this sport interesting to watch for the average Joe. Having a stiff upper lip and 5 guys in 2 different outfits (still can't tell Ricky and Cale apart) isn't it. Nikko is alive, real and passionate. That is something we can sell. We can't sell teenagers with bad haircuts and sunglasses trying to act like uptight ballgolf millionaires.

And yes, a mod should cut out the Nikko parts here and put it into an own thread.

Wow. My comment seemed to have sparked something here.

My point is that you don't need to (almost) punch trees, kick your bag, and drop F bombs to show that you're upset. When I get people like that on my card I just laugh at them. Maybe it's just me? When I throw a bad shot, I move on almost instantly. I'm a human, I'm far from perfect. None of these guys are perfect. Hell, I know some lower 900 rated players that get upset when they don't make a 30 footer. Seriously man?

Anyway. He may be the first to congratulate other players on good putts, etc. But, I don't think his behavior on the course is necessary.

Regardless, I enjoyed watching the videos from this tourney. Keep em coming!

Last edited:
I can tell you that Tiger has always caused a stir with ball golf fans when he would throw clubs and drop an f-bomb. What the PGA tour does is fine the player when the behavior is over the line and detrimental to the game. Same stance should be taken during a PDGA event.

Personally I'm fine with players getting upset but we need to have a line set by the PDGA for when players get out of control. What is OK and what is not should be discussed within the players and board.

McFlys coverage was excellent once again! Nice job!

The Tiger comparisons are interesting. Tiger is followed by huge galleries and has a camera on him for every stroke he plays. Of course he's playing for millions instead of thousands. And his outbursts are nowhere near as frequent as Nikko.

Nikko shot 1072, 1043, 1051 rated rounds, won the tournament and still melted down several times in one weekend. I don't think the meltdowns hurt or help Nikko, he just has them.

2681.jpg

Maybe Nikko is a great guy off the course, but I think we're all seeing who he really is when he is faced with adversity.

This is flippant, adds nothing, and incredibly condescending. I'll leave it at that.

Deuces' post with the MLK quote sums it up. Your character is exposed when you're at your worst. At his worst, Nikko is a brat.

Character is also exposed when making judgements on other people. I find it disappointing that people are forgetting this so quickly. Although, benefit of the doubt here is that you specified at his worst as opposed to in general.

Isn't really that bad? I guess riling up one of the calmest, nicest golfers in our area to the point that the cops had to be called isn't bad (witnessed this first hand). Had the cops not come, Nikko probably wouldn't have been able to pick himself up off the ground, let alone throw a disc. Nikko even had to have an official follow his card the second round to make sure he didn't repeat his behavior.

When you're that much of a distraction and effect others' rounds when they're several holes away, you're a problem.

This helps shed context on the assessment of Nikko at his worst. As for the second part: it isn't Nikko's fault that his behaviour is affecting others unless he is physically forcing someone to do something. Focus on your (plural, this is not aimed directly at tbird but rather just general advice) own game and your own behaviour and shut out the distraction. Nikko throwing a temper tantrum has no bearing on the physics and forces at play on a disc flying through the air.

My point is that you don't need to (almost) punch trees, kick your bag, and drop F bombs to show that you're upset. When I get people like that on my card I just laugh at them. Maybe it's just me? When I throw a bad shot, I move on almost instantly. I'm a human, I'm far from perfect. None of these guys are perfect. Hell, I know some lower 900 rated players that get upset when they don't make a 30 footer. Seriously man?

All of the bolded yous should be I's or the proper first person pronoun. It's great that you don't need to do all of that. It honestly points towards overall better mental health, which is definitely a good thing. But others may be that emotive when playing a round of disc golf and bottling up their reactions may be detrimental to their game. Let them throw their round their way and I'll throw my round my way.

Now, I'd like to apologize for all of that, but it was eating at me and the only way to keep it from eating more was to expel it. Perhaps like Nikko throwing a tantrum.

Marty, the footage is fantastic, but I've got one comment that kind of builds on someone mentioning the discs were occasionally difficult to follow or spot -- it is nice to see a full run-up, but it was a common enough occurrence to have the disc exit the left side of the frame almost immediately following the throw (on drives) which I think leads to the difficulty in following the disc in most circumstances. I don't know how many people will agree with me, but I'd rather have a more static look at the drives from slightly farther back so the flight of the disc is better captured. I'm saying this without knowing the space in which you could set up, so it may just be an unfortunate happening as this wasn't the case on every hole. Trust me, if it is the result of circumstance, or even just for the sake of variety, I will gladly suck it up. I'm just kind of nitpicking.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Noisy course

The videos were great, the noise was never ending; guess that's Vegas. I much enjoy the wooded, secluded, quiet Carolina courses, but most of them are only so-so for video coverage.

Best video coverage was from behind the island green with the straw bales.

All of the bolded yous should be I's or the proper first person pronoun. It's great that you don't need to do all of that. It honestly points towards overall better mental health, which is definitely a good thing. But others may be that emotive when playing a round of disc golf and bottling up their reactions may be detrimental to their game. Let them throw their round their way and I'll throw my round my way.

I understand where you're coming from.

My mental health is questionable, but I don't let something like a disc golf shot get the best of me. If I threw a perfect shot every time, the game would get boring. I consider myself a pretty good golfer, but at the end of the day, I'm out there to have fun and enjoy throwing circular pieces of plastic into a metal thingy as efficient as possible. I just don't see the point in temper tantrums for not being a perfect human.

In this day and age of "tolerance" I find it amusing so many cannot "tolerate" his minor little outbursts. DG needs people with character flaws like Nikko. Those things that some people can't stand and some absolutely love. It makes the sport human. Many of you are way too young to remember McEnrow at Wimbledon but for better or worse he drew A LOT of viewers to the sport. I was a little kid and I had a great time watching him with my dad just laughing at his antics and being amazed at his play. "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS." LOL

-Dave

This helps shed context on the assessment of Nikko at his worst. As for the second part: it isn't Nikko's fault that his behaviour is affecting others unless he is physically forcing someone to do something. Focus on your (plural, this is not aimed directly at tbird but rather just general advice) own game and your own behaviour and shut out the distraction. Nikko throwing a temper tantrum has no bearing on the physics and forces at play on a disc flying through the air.

Lolz at all of this

In this day and age of "tolerance" I find it amusing so many cannot "tolerate" his minor little outbursts. DG needs people with character flaws like Nikko. Those things that some people can't stand and some absolutely love. It makes the sport human. Many of you are way too young to remember McEnrow at Wimbledon but for better or worse he drew A LOT of viewers to the sport. I was a little kid and I had a great time watching him with my dad just laughing at his antics and being amazed at his play. "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS." LOL

-Dave

But playing pissed off in disc golf never helps while in tennis it can. Tennis has a lot more passion involved where disc golf is more mental. And having to play with someone like nikko when he is like that is a total buzz kill.

how has nobody else mentioned the "they come for us, we don't come for them. We tell them to get lost" comment? It seemed like he was talking about the crowd

All those who excuse Nikko's outbursts as "if it bothers you, it's your problem" are conveniently ignoring that it isn't really a matter of "he plays his way, you play yours" or live and let live. Angry outbursts, bag/equipment abuse, etc are against the rules of our game. Especially at the highest levels of play, if we can't expect our best and most visible players to live up to the standards we set for ourselves, why have the rules at all?

Competition Manual Section 3.3 Player Misconduct
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

1. Repeated and overt use of abusive or profane language
2. Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)
3. Overt rudeness to anyone present

801.04 Courtesy
C. Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include: shouting, cursing, freestyling, striking course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a courtesy violation.
G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

But playing pissed off in disc golf never helps while in tennis it can.

Who are you do tell Nikko what helps his game? Somebody upthread said he had several "meltdowns" (that is vastly exaggerated IMO). How did he win if playing pissed off never helps?

having to play with someone like nikko when he is like that is a total buzz kill.

Why would you think it is up to "someone like Nikko" to maintain another players buzz? People should grow up and assume responsibility for their own buzz.

If someone is so highly sensitive to different personalities, different styles of play, different intensity levels, etc....maybe they should stay hidden in their basement at home with the curtains drawn and not take that risk of potentially injuring their delicate constitutions by interacting with other diverse types of people.