• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

As a video junkie, isn't the Disc Golf Guy's coverage a better way to watch the video of the tourney? The spintv thing just seems too laise faire -- ? Terry may owe me $100, but the way his video, while disjointed due to lack of any actual funds, makes sense since you get to appreciate the pressure of the moment . .. ? n'est ce pas?

Just saying.

Terry does a great job, but it's hard to compare. He does his commentary during the round. We do ours after.

Remember that one time where Will Schusterick won the 2014 USDGC by having less mistakes, unforced errors, and lower scores than everyone else?

The championship was not lost by a chair, or lost by not laying up, it was WON by a guy not giving up.

Kudos to Will for WINNING the USDGC, not for Paul or Johne LOSING the USDGC. It's pretty sad that people would rather detract from Will's 3rd title than congratulate him for it.

Sorry, but Will himself said he was the luckiest man alive, and he was correct in acknowledging his good fortune. As mentioned, we will remember Will's win, but does anyone remember who Jean van de Velde lost to in the 1999 Open Championship? We'll also never forget JohnE's loss.

Will actually lost it on 17 last year? The dude is so good at the long OB courses just plays that course well and is always in the top of my predictions.

and trust me i'm such an AM tthose guys would have killed me but i would have just gotten my three there each day and not messed with the danger. Even i would probably take two shots to get in from the layup but still a great option when up 4 or 5 strokes.

Sorry if that came across a little rude.... I was apparently thinking out loud and it made it's way into a reply. I just can't believe (watched it several times now) that there was even a discussion about it. Obviously it was not part of the course, regardless how long it was there. Looks like they had no problem removing a "branch", (water bottle), from the chair before he threw. Obviously the chair affected his shot, because it was just another variable to think about. Crazazy...

Sorry, but Will himself said he was the luckiest man alive, and he was correct in acknowledging his good fortune. As mentioned, we will remember Will's win, but does anyone remember who Jean van de Velde lost to in the 1999 Open Championship? We'll also never forget JohnE's loss.

Say, wasn't there a guy who finished behind Will but ahead of JohnE? Good ole whats his name?

Say, wasn't there a guy who finished behind Will but ahead of JohnE? Good ole whats his name?

No one but Will finished ahead of JohnE. Perhaps you're thinking of the guy who tied with him for second? Paul somethingorother.

^^^

Yep. Had this argument cleared up a year or so ago as a TD. In a multi-way playoff for first place, the winner of the playoff is 1st place and all others are tied for second, regardless of how the playoff goes and/or who makes it through how many holes. That is the way the rules work and it's determined before the playoff ever begins -- in any tournament. JohnE isn't 3rd place because Paul lasted longer in the playoff.

Anyone comment on innova giving everyone 130 gram DX Archangles to throw over the lake...err... the flippiest Star Destroyers known to man. Those things just turned and died...it was such a disappointment I left after like 15 throws. How embarassing...and they just let them keep throwing them. I mean pull out some stuff from your store when you see that those discs are failing your brand. In other news, if you want a destroyer that flies like a beat AvengerSS buy a current run.

Anyone comment on innova giving everyone 130 gram DX Archangles to throw over the lake...err... the flippiest Star Destroyers known to man. Those things just turned and died...it was such a disappointment I left after like 15 throws. How embarassing...and they just let them keep throwing them. I mean pull out some stuff from your store when you see that those discs are failing your brand. In other news, if you want a destroyer that flies like a beat AvengerSS buy a current run.

Simon commented on his blog:
http://www.discmania.net/simons-blog/2014/10/07/usdgc-united-states-disc-golf-circus/

"I tested the discs we were going to throw on Thursday and the Echo Star Destroyer seemed to be the right decision. Somehow those red ones we were throwing on Saturday were A LOT different from the ones I tested. Extremely flippy. Most shots ended up in the water because all of us threw sky rollers."

http://www.discmania.net/simons-blog/2014/10/07/usdgc-united-states-disc-golf-circus/

"I tested the discs we were going to throw on Thursday and the Echo Star Destroyer seemed to be the right decision. Somehow those red ones we were throwing on Saturday were A LOT different from the ones I tested. Extremely flippy. Most shots ended up in the water because all of us threw sky rollers."

I was kinda bummed when one of the longest throwers in the game was getting crazy flights with discs turning and burning into the water in a showcase meant to show his talent.:|

Who was the guy in the pink and black shorts that got one over the road? I did not hear his name on the coverage I saw.

Did David Wiggins get one over the road as well?

Last edited:
I was kinda bummed when one of the longest throwers in the game was getting crazy flights with discs turning and burning into the water in a showcase meant to show his talent.:|

Who was the guy in the pink and black shorts that got one over the road? I did not hear his name on the coverage I saw.

Did David Wiggins get one over the road as well?

That was GG. Wiggins definitely threw some over when he started using his own discs, but I don't remember if he threw any of the Echostar Destroyers across the road or not.

OB rules question

DISClaimer: I don't play PDGA tournaments, so I don't know all of the nuances of how the rules are applied in actual situations. Also, I don't keep track of every rule change.

SO, this is probably a dumb question that most people know the answer to... but since I don't know the answer I will ask anyway...

Scenario:
Final Round, hole 5. Schusterick's 3rd shot, a high hyzer, over the lake doesn't clear, goes in the lake, and is OB. The spotter places a flag on the shore near the basket. (See the SpinTV video at 14:32-14:46.) I can't tell from the camera angle if the path of the disc even crossed over land, but the disc certainly never touched land in bounds.

Will takes his 4nd shot (start at 15:50) 1m from the flag on the inbounds side, near the basket.

My question:
I thought that a disc had to actually touch in bounds to be played from the inbounds side, and if not then it is played from the point where it went out. That would mean that Will would throw from the other side of the lake where the disc went over the OB line, a far longer shot.

Obviously, Will did the right thing, and no one disputed it.

It's just that I personally just don't understand why the rule was applied in this way? What am I missing? All I can guess is that OB line on the basket side has verticality so that if the disc crosses back in bounds in the air then the flag is placed where the disc went back out from IB to OB. I have researched both the PDGA OB rules and the USDGC Caddy book and I still don't see a clear answer that addresses this, so I assume this is something that tournament players all just know.

I would appreciate someone clearing this up for me, so that I will know the correct way to play OB shots.

Hmmm... I'd actually like to get my hands on some of these flippy red Echostar destroyers.

Inbounds and OB extend vertically. The last point a disc is inbounds can be in the air and disc does not have to touch the playing surface to be considered inbounds before ending up OB. However, the TD can restrict marking at from the last point inbounds if they wish. That is done on some holes at USDGC. But in this case, on hole 5 last point IB can be an option. That's why there's a spotter at that location to observe whether shots make it over the trees or land before going in the water.

DISClaimer: I don't play PDGA tournaments, so I don't know all of the nuances of how the rules are applied in actual situations. Also, I don't keep track of every rule change.

SO, this is probably a dumb question that most people know the answer to... but since I don't know the answer I will ask anyway...

Scenario:
Final Round, hole 5. Schusterick's 3rd shot, a high hyzer, over the lake doesn't clear, goes in the lake, and is OB. The spotter places a flag on the shore near the basket. (See the SpinTV video at 14:32-14:46.) I can't tell from the camera angle if the path of the disc even crossed over land, but the disc certainly never touched land in bounds.

Will takes his 4nd shot (start at 15:50) 1m from the flag on the inbounds side, near the basket.

My question:
I thought that a disc had to actually touch in bounds to be played from the inbounds side, and if not then it is played from the point where it went out. That would mean that Will would throw from the other side of the lake where the disc went over the OB line, a far longer shot.

Obviously, Will did the right thing, and no one disputed it.

It's just that I personally just don't understand why the rule was applied in this way? What am I missing? All I can guess is that OB line on the basket side has verticality so that if the disc crosses back in bounds in the air then the flag is placed where the disc went back out from IB to OB. I have researched both the PDGA OB rules and the USDGC Caddy book and I still don't see a clear answer that addresses this, so I assume this is something that tournament players all just know.

I would appreciate someone clearing this up for me, so that I will know the correct way to play OB shots.

Without the TD getting extra restrictions approved by the PDGA Tour Manager (which they certainly did for many aspects of the USDGC), they cannot exclude players from having the option of playing from where a disc crossed (in the air) over the OB line. Without a waiver, while a TD may *add* a drop zone, players who throw OB are not required to use it. Without a waiver, players who end up OB always have at least two options:

1. They may play from the point where their disc crossed the OB line, with penalty.

2. They may rethrow from their previous lie, with penalty. (i.e. the Optional Rethrow Rule)

The TD may add option 3. They may play from a drop zone, with penalty.

Does that help? :)

Not trying to derail the USDGC topic at all, but can anyone describe the super flippy destroyers in more detail? Dome, weight, color, etc? I'm interested in trying to find one for wide open max D shots.

Latest posts