• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

I mean if we're trying to describe actual reality we're not even coming close.

can we talk about disc golf?

Aren't there curved planes in 3-D space? Three planes, only 1 of which is "straight".

curvature.png

I see three flat planes... actually, I see one flat plane with several colored depictions of planes... all of them could be flat, they just might have points that do not form a uniform grid... and that bottom one could be a distorted grid at an extreme angle...

Everything looks flat on a computer screen, unless you are on a CRT...

the OB line on a hole like hole 5 is more like.... TEMPEST. YES. One of the greatest arcade games... EVER.

hqdefault.jpg

I spoke with a guy that paid to sponsor one of the state holes at the USDGC. He said it cost him $1,500 to be a hole sponsor and have his state represented. But at the end of the event, all he had to show for his $ was the hole sign.

Except that somebody stole the sign before he could get to the hole after the event... So yea... :|

I've never understood hole sponsors in the first place. Thanks for giving money to the tournament and all, but I don't think you're getting much in return...

I've never understood hole sponsors in the first place. Thanks for giving money to the tournament and all, but I don't think you're getting much in return...

Great way to raise money for your event, fun way to be seen, but the return on investment might not be the best.

Smaller tournaments they can go for 20-30 bucks, and you can put your ugly mug on them, or your family, or your business. Not the worst "investment". Some places will do personalized tee signs all year for $25-35.

$1,500 is way up there, and before anyone drops that kind of dough I'm sure they knew going in what to expect "out of it".

So if the out of bounds boundary is curved (as with the shore curving around hole 5's basket), then this doesn't apply? :doh: :D

To nerds at least, lines and planes are straight
The rules also have the phrase "perpendicular to the point" which makes no sense, but would it really help to say "perpendicular to the tangent to the OB line at the point"?

When the precise geometric definitions can't apply, I think we should use the least amount of departure from precise geometry needed to make sense in the real world.

I've looked and looked for the name of the set of all vertical lines that intersect with a curve. I'm not sure there is a name for this, but that's what it should say instead of "vertical plane". The leading candidate is "curtain".

I've looked and looked for the name of the set of all vertical lines that intersect with a curve. I'm not sure there is a name for this, but that's what it should say instead of "vertical plane". The leading candidate is "curtain".
The vertical lines projecting up from a curve are kind of like a wall of bamboo. So in honor of the USDGC hole 7, perhaps a disc passing through this bamboo curtain into OB would be considered "bamboozled"?

The vertical lines projecting up from a curve are kind of like a wall of bamboo. So in honor of the USDGC hole 7, perhaps a disc passing through this bamboo curtain into OB would be considered "bamboozled"?

Nah, I don't think so. Besides, you might get a debate about whether that hole should be honored.

You probably didn't know about the bamboo wall behind original USDGC hole 16 basket where you really were bamboozled if you overshot your approach on that par 4.

I spoke with a guy that paid to sponsor one of the state holes at the USDGC. He said it cost him $1,500 to be a hole sponsor and have his state represented. But at the end of the event, all he had to show for his $ was the hole sign.

Except that somebody stole the sign before he could get to the hole after the event... So yea... :|

i paid the virginia one for years and it was $225 if i recall correctly.

"Riemannian Geometry is the study of curved surfaces. Consider what would happen if instead of working on the Euclidean flat piece of paper, you work on a curved surface, such as a sphere. The study of Riemannian Geometry has a direct connection to our daily existence since we live on a curved surface called planet Earth. "

to answer your question, technically yes.

I did a math project in high school on Riemannian geometry. Man that was a long time ago.

No one but Will finished ahead of JohnE. Perhaps you're thinking of the guy who tied with him for second? Paul somethingorother.

Well, that is the guy I'm thinking of. I do know that that guy played longer into the sudden death playoff than poor John E did. Which, to me, means he finished ahead of John E. But I'm probably wrong.

"Riemannian Geometry is the study of curved surfaces. Consider what would happen if instead of working on the Euclidean flat piece of paper, you work on a curved surface, such as a sphere. The study of Riemannian Geometry has a direct connection to our daily existence since we live on a curved surface called planet Earth. "

to answer your question, technically yes.

I did a math project in high school on Riemannian geometry. Man that was a long time ago.

While non-euclidean geometry is pretty cool, it's not really what's going on in this case. We're not talking about the behavior of two dimensional geometrical objects on a non-euclidean surface, we're talking about three dimensional constructions in an environment that is fundamentally the same as three dimensional euclidean space for the purpose of the discussion. There aren't curved planes, nor are there planes with defined edges, but there are curved two dimensional surfaces in this environment. Unfortunately there isn't really a good single word to describe the surface that defines the OB boundary, plane is one of the closest and is pretty well understood in this context.

I don't think that people expect too big of, if any of a return on these. Simply put, it is a nice way for people to sponsor the event. I'd rather not ask people straight up for money, so I'll offer up tee sign sponsorships at my events for $10. It gives people a chance to help out.

Side note: In the past, I've had quizzes for prizes after the event with all of the answers being found on sponsored tee signs. It's a good way to get people to look at em.

Well, that is the guy I'm thinking of. I do know that that guy played longer into the sudden death playoff than poor John E did. Which, to me, means he finished ahead of John E. But I'm probably wrong.

You are. See the results and payouts. JohnE and Paul both earned $3500 for 2nd place. See my earlier post #1792. JohnE and Paul tied for 2nd at -19. And Will won at -19. It wouldn't matter what they scored in the playoff. The sudden death playoff is only for 1st place. If say two players triple bogey the first playoff hole and one has a double bogey, you don't say Player A won at -17, with the other two tied at -16. (Two problems) exist with that.

Keep it up guys and disc golfers are gonna be stereotyped as math nerds. :mad: :thmbdown: :rolleyes:

Keep it up guys and disc golfers are gonna be stereotyped as math nerds. :mad: :thmbdown: :rolleyes:

Just don't have this as a bumper sticker:
attachment.php

(Math and physics nerds are busting their guts laughing right now.)

Attachments

• lift.gif
    lift.gif
    501 bytes · Views: 312

Latest posts