• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Am Worlds Bids

somebody brought up the possiblity of Raleigh getting an am worlds at singles the other day because we're getting a bunch of new courses in.

that statement was followed by laughter.

Are there any big reasons why Austin would not have an Am or Pro Worlds? Seems like a great place for it. Thoughts?

I could be wrong, but I believe I saw a discussion somewhere about the outrageous fees that the parks charge to use courses. I believe that is why few tournaments are played in Austin proper.

Again, this is just speculation based on a thread I may have read, so don't put much stock into it.

Lake Tahoe CA 2015......c'mon you know that would be sweet!!!
Purely a west coast bias here......

ditto

and Pro Worlds in Tahoe in 2016 would be even more compelling to get me to travel

So if 2015 will be Tahoe then what club is running the event? RDGC? I love Tahoe but I know they don't have the most motivated clubs. I'll be there if this is happening.

I can't answer your question....but we have been given this info:

You may have suckers there but we don't have them here. Most of the people who will be involved were involved with worlds in 94.

So....they should be nice and rested after 20 years. :D

Highbridge Worlds... I'd do that

Honestly Jon would have to do alot of work to get that facility in shape for an AM Worlds. Very limited in the camping and lodges. Closest hotels are like 25mi away (fast drive). It would be amazing! but I don't think they could do it. I would like to see a huge annual A tier there.

It can be done because it has been done......Pro Worlds was at Highbridge in 2007. I do not think facilities are the main thing precluding Worlds being there again. I never followed the drama, so I cannot comment. Might be something in this thread.

"So if 2015 will be Tahoe then what club is running the event? RDGC? I love Tahoe but I know they don't have the most motivated clubs. I'll be there if this is happening."

Well, I'm just hoping Tahoe.. but it would be a group of clubs, including the RDGA of which I've only been a member since last summer. I think we are a pretty highly motivated club. Many new events, course improvements, new course design projects, fundraisers, community education about disc golf, design and install of courses at 2 schools in the area, and even a monthly event on a local ball golf course! Great group of people. I think that the other clubs in the Tahoe area and the business and tourism communities would welcome an Am Worlds and make it an incredible event.

It can be done because it has been done......Pro Worlds was at Highbridge in 2007. I do not think facilities are the main thing precluding Worlds being there again. I never followed the drama, so I cannot comment. Might be something in this thread.

Traditionally AM worlds is way bigger than Pro Worlds. Plus you have to account for peoples ability to travel, as Chuck said earlier, AMs have alot more traveling restrictions then Pros.
I heard there was drama but never cared to investigate. Jon is awesome and his facility is awesome. Thats what matters.

"So if 2015 will be Tahoe then what club is running the event? RDGC? I love Tahoe but I know they don't have the most motivated clubs. I'll be there if this is happening."

Well, I'm just hoping Tahoe.. but it would be a group of clubs, including the RDGA of which I've only been a member since last summer. I think we are a pretty highly motivated club. Many new events, course improvements, new course design projects, fundraisers, community education about disc golf, design and install of courses at 2 schools in the area, and even a monthly event on a local ball golf course! Great group of people. I think that the other clubs in the Tahoe area and the business and tourism communities would welcome an Am Worlds and make it an incredible event.

It is just a bid nothing is in stone yet. When I here more I will give more details on who is involved and what courses.

Nothing in that thread about the drama. John basically felt (his phrase) "the pinheads" (disc golf money makers) of the midwest (in this case, mostly from Minnesota) had not fulfilled financial promises. It's not an uncommon sentiment...for the midwest anyway (Wisconsin has had many of the same internal problems)....

Harldy anyone realizes the amount of effort that goes into installing and maintaining courses. The guys who install and maintain are very rarely the same guys that are being provided a living.

It's really the transition from some people making a living off the sport....

what about the Dallas area, always hearing about their courses?

has anyone mentioned san antonio. They have a lot of courses within 10 miles and there are some championship caliber courses too.
There's more to putting on a World's event than courses. If that were the only criteria, several places I can think of would be suitable for Worlds. What a location really needs is a unified and organized club or group to oversee the proceedings. A lot of places have multiple clubs that don't see eye to eye.

Traffic considerations are another. Two courses 30 miles apart in DFW or the L.A. metro are a lot farther reach from each other than two courses 30 miles apart in rural Ohio. This is perhaps one reason that California hasn't hosted Am World's in so long. I know a lot of folks aren't that excited about this year's Am World's location being in a small town in a flyover country state, but one upside of it is going to be that you'll be able to reach any one course from another, from tourney HQ, from your hotel or wherever in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited:
There's more to putting on a World's event than courses. If that were the only criteria, several places I can think of would be suitable for Worlds. What a location really needs is a unified and organized club or group to oversee the proceedings. A lot of places have multiple clubs that don't see eye to eye.

Traffic considerations are another. Two courses 30 miles apart in DFW or the L.A. metro are a lot farther reach from each other than two courses 30 miles apart in rural Ohio. This is perhaps one reason that California hasn't hosted Am World's in so long. I know a lot of folks aren't that excited about this year's Am World's location being in a small town in a flyover country state, but one upside of it is going to be that you'll be able to reach any one course from another, from tourney HQ, from your hotel or wherever in less than 15 minutes.

Distance between course doesnt matter that much to play better course. I would rather drive an hour to a course than play crap.

Not the way world's works however. 45 minutes is considered too far. 1/2 hr. is about max and that's for all courses involved.