• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships

Looks like even Advanced, with 288 spots, might fill within 24 hours.

My first time trying to sign up, and glad I 'stayed up': got in MG1 within first two minutes, then checked back for about fifteen to confirm how fast it was filling. All of us early bird old guys are gonna be cranky today, and need naps! ;)

Eh, I'm not that cranky today (I'm a "baby grand"), even though I stayed up late to register. Glad I did register within minutes of the clock striking 12 because I see the division filled up. Wow!

Grandmasters and Senior Grandmasters have already sold out and have wait lists.

Junior Boys III and I are already sold out with wait lists.

Only four spots remaining in Masters and two spots for the Advanced Ladies!

I suppose as folks wake up across America the entire event will fill in a few hours.

Wow I know a kid that was staying up til midnight to register looks like that was a smart move.

Those 2 meyer Broadway courses are amazing. When I lived back east, those were my favorite. Very big courses with lots of trouble off the fairway. Glad to see they are being used

So, what pros can we expect to show at am worlds? McBeth and Pierce were there last year, maybe they will come again?

Those 2 meyer Broadway courses are amazing. When I lived back east, those were my favorite. Very big courses with lots of trouble off the fairway. Glad to see they are being used

I just played the north course on Friday. It needs alot of work. Its been neglected.

I just played the north course on Friday. It needs alot of work. Its been neglected.
It's supposed to be getting cement teepads, from what I've heard/read.

On the original course, I hope the back nine gets thinned out a wee bit (i.e. a hell of a lot). Some of those "fairways" are not fair at all.

So, what pros can we expect to show at am worlds? McBeth and Pierce were there last year, maybe they will come again?

Paul McBeth is scheduled to be in Kalamazoo for Am Worlds. He posted it on his 2015 tour schedule in January.

Event Name CIty Date

West Coast Disc Golf Championships- La Mirada, CA 5/9-5/10
Master's Cup- Santa Cruz, CA 5/15-5/17
St. Jude Event- Monterey, CA 5/24-5/25
Norman Pro/Am- Norman, OK 5/30-5/31
Beaver State Fling- Portland, OR 6/12-6/14
Kansas City Wide Open- Kansas City, MO 6/19-6/21
Maple Hill Open- Leicester, MA 6/25-6/28
Scandanavian Open- Skelleftea, SWE 7/8-7/11
European Open- Tampere. FIN 7/16-7/19
Amateur World Championships- Kalamazoo, MI 7/21-7/25
Professional World Championships- Pittsburgh, PA 8/4-8/8
Brent Hambrick Memorial or Mad City Open Columbus, OH or Madison, WI 8/15-8/16
Ledgestone Insurance Open- Peoria, IL 8/21-8/23
Hall of Fame Classic- Appling, GA 9/11-9/13
Four States Open- Joplin, MO 9/18-9/20
United States Disc Golf Championship- Rock Hill, SC 10/7-10/10
Homie Celebration- Crown Point, IN 10/17-10/18
Oklahoma Open- Tulsa, OK 10/24-10/25
Veterans Park Open- Arlington, TX 11/7-11/8

Will I be able to test play spinski's original on either the day before or the first day (no one playing first day), because it is a private course?

Will I be able to test play spinski's original on either the day before or the first day (no one playing first day), because it is a private course?

It is a private course, however the owner is currently allowing casual play for a $5 donation. There is a league on Thursday nights for $5.
As for the weekend/week of Worlds, that remains to be seen.

Long answer:

Section 1.5.A of the Competition Manual says:
A player is responsible for scheduling their practice rounds prior to the event. Availability of the course and its tournament set-up for practice rounds may vary (see Tour Standards for details). The course or courses are closed to practice during the tournament and all other times designated by the Tournament Director.

The PDGA Tour Standards say:
Courses are required to be set up for the first round configuration a minimum of 2 days prior to the start of the event for National Tour Elite Series events and 1 day prior to the start of the event for A-Tier events (SuperTour). For World Championship events, courses must be set no less than 4 days in advance of the start of the event. For other PDGA Majors such as US Masters or USWDGC, the courses must be set no less than 3 days in advance of the start of the event. In the case of temporary holes and/or courses where targets are unavailable, the temporary configuration must be clearly marked for both the Tee and Target locations. Note: "Start of the Event" means the morning of the first day of competition, so a three-day Friday-Sunday National Tour would need to have its courses ready for practice no later than on Wednesday morning. A Worlds, where the singles competition starts on Tuesday, would need to have its courses ready for practice no later than on Saturday morning.

However, I think they have a mistake in the last sentence. Worlds is supposed to be 4 days in advance, which would mean Friday. Interesting situation with Spinskis Original not being used the first day. If you read the Competition Manual literally, it says the courses are closed to practice during the tournament, but I would assume most would interpret that to mean during the times players are actually in competition on that course. I'd check with the TD.

The standards don't say anything about cost to play in advance of the competition. For private and/or P2P, I'm assuming the normal fee applies for playing the course outside of competition ... unless the course owner chooses to waive it for registered players. Anyone with experience at past Worlds with P2P courses care to chime in with what you've found?

Short answer: Check with the TD. :)

Either way, please share what you learn.

I am at home and cannot remember my Disc Golf Scene password. If someone asks this question in the comment section there, it would likely get answered. I will try to do it from work tomorrow.

DGS will be a pretty good resource for this World Championship, given the activity of Michigan disc golf on that site.

Looking for carpool assistance (never too early to start checking).
I am staying at the Host Hotel(Holiday Inn) and playing in MM1(Adv masters), I'm looking for carpool assistance for my son who is playing (Jr Boys 16). Willing to pay and also willing to provide transportation to others in MM1. We had a plan but the <19 who he was going to ride with didn't get in (on wait list) and I suspect they will need to split that field IF he has any hopes of getting in. Any possible assistance appreciated, getting ready to map course locations and possible routes if I have to get us both to our courses each day. Going to post to Facebook site also. Thanks!

Latest posts