• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

Isn't the whole point to put hazards where people could land? What would be the purpose of putting a hazard area somewhere other then where you think people want to land?

I would think the purpose of a hazard is placing it in places you want to discourage people from landing in, not so much putting them where people want to land. It seems to me that the new hazards on 1, like the new mando on 5, are designed to make everyone execute a specific shot or get a specific outcome from whatever shot they choose. In hole 1's case, it would appear they want to encourage/reward throws that go straight up the gut and have minimal fade at the end of the flight. And failure to execute will remove (by landing in a hazard) or make more difficult (by being short or going long of the hazards) the chance to birdie the hole.

The craziest thing I have seen was in 2006 or 2007 on Wednesday or Thursday. I was standing at the #17 tee when a guy took a 23 or some outrageous score. I think this was before the lay up shot was added so he just kept throwing everything ob or in the water. I also got pictures of GG flicking a Sonic into the basket on #7 behind the bamboo wall one year which was cool.

John Gregory took a 16 on 17 in 2007. Also, the GG Flick shot is available on youtube, here.

The hazards on #1 are essentially the same as the putt-blocking panels that Appalachian Dave used to attach to the baskets back in the Cameron Woods days. Only the hazards are worse.

Seriously, I know it's gimmicky, but just hang a couple 2x6's from the top band. That forces the player to think about where they are landing with respect to the blocking planks, but doesn't totally block a putt and doesn't artificially add penalty strokes. Directional planks are certainly no more gimmicky than arbitrary hazard areas.

Obvious Disclaimer: I know Harold and others at Innova/USDGC read this forum from time-to-time. No disrespect. Just my opinion.

ooops. missed it!

John Gregory took a 16 on 17 in 2007. Also, the GG Flick shot is available on youtube, here.

I was filming their entire round. I stopped for a hot-dog at the VIP tent after hole #6. I'm stuffing my face in the background under the tent. I saw nate crush chains & I was crushed! I missed the most important shot of the round! arggg!

I was filming their entire round. I stopped for a hot-dog at the VIP tent after hole #6. I'm stuffing my face in the background under the tent. I saw nate crush chains & I was crushed! I missed the most important shot of the round! arggg!

Doh! And I taped these guys for one hole and got the ace, the near misses, and GG's tasty forehand deuce. Ain't no justice on the fairways.

Joe

First timer going to this -- what's the pro shop situation? Just Innova? Do they sell the USDGC Rocs there?

Yes and yes
Cool, thanks. I was wondering if maybe Discraft of Lat64 etc. would have a truck or tent selling discs. Hopefully Innova will have some interesting stuff for sale besides the usual discs you can find anywhere.

Yeah. And 3 of the 4 on the card almost got it.

I'll be spotting on Friday and Saturday, likely on the first part of hole 5, so stop by and say hello, if you want. I'm kind of looking forward to see if anyone takes a different approach to the hole this year, after playing it from the same tee last year.

I'll be spotting on Friday and Saturday, likely on the first part of hole 5, so stop by and say hello, if you want.

I'll be on hole 9 for the entire tournament (for the sixth straight year); also stop by and say hello to the old gray haired fossil.

What does everyone think about this new design on Hole 1? Heard this on SmashboxxTV, and this is the pic from the caddy guide. They added hazards on both sides of the pin.

Hole-1-web.jpg

Cool, thanks. I was wondering if maybe Discraft of Lat64 etc. would have a truck or tent selling discs. Hopefully Innova will have some interesting stuff for sale besides the usual discs you can find anywhere.

They haven't had any kind of competitive disc vendor tents (FlyMart) for the past few years, but they will often have artists and a few niche vendors.
The Pro shop will almost always have some new collectibles for sale. Either some limited runs or some hard-to-find stuff.
They will also have some Roc Fundraiser discs.
The other nice thing is that the selection in the Pro Shop is unparalleled. If you want a lightweight pink Destroyer with a silver stamp, you'll likely find it, and they re-stock often. They'll also have a lot of other stuff in the Pro Shop, like shirts, hats, jackets and other apparel as well as stools, umbrellas, etc.
Pretty much everything Innova makes will be there. The East Coast warehouse is 10 minutes away and if they don't have something in the Pro Shop, just ask them. I believe most of the Pro Shop guys are Innova employees.
They did stock Legacy last year, as well.
I never come away from USDGC empty-handed.
Hope this helps.

What does everyone think about this new design on Hole 1? Heard this on SmashboxxTV, and this is the pic from the caddy guide. They added hazards on both sides of the pin.

Hole-1-web.jpg

The first thing that occurs to me is that Jonathon Poole is the devil.:p

Seriously, they tweek the holes every year and will tweak any hole that has a large distribution of birdies. Ideally, they would love to have about the same number of birdies and bogeys. If a hole gets too easy, they'll tweak it.
They've been tweaking Hole 1 just about every year.
A few years ago it was the trees, then the boulder, then they moved the basket back, now it's the Hazard areas.

What I really hate is the Mando on Hole 5.

Hole-1-web.jpg

so, you land in the hazard off the tee, it's spotted at the entry point? putt for 3? meh seems a bit like made up rope maze. if they like it i suppose they can add a pond if it's at the bottom of that hill... i think it's a great hole 1 as is, tightish mid or putter line dead straight down to the pin. i guess if the rope maze is to figure out a permanent obstacle i'm ok with it, although i would think you do the experiment some other time, not at USDGC.

so, you land in the hazard off the tee, it's spotted at the entry point? putt for 3? meh seems a bit like made up rope maze. if they like it i suppose they can add a pond if it's at the bottom of that hill... i think it's a great hole 1 as is, tightish mid or putter line dead straight down to the pin. i guess if the rope maze is to figure out a permanent obstacle i'm ok with it, although i would think you do the experiment some other time, not at USDGC.

In a "Hazard", you play from where it lands with a one-stroke penalty. If it lands in the hazard from the tee, they mark it where it settled and putt for three.

There is no other time to experiment, really, except at the USDGC. No other tournament will be played on this layout, and the course will be taken down the week after the Tourney. I'm sure they probably go out when they are trying ideas and rope boundaries and throw a few to test the layout, but then the layout is set for competition.

It's more interesting now. It's been a pretty boring hole for a while; run a putter or mid straight at it and make your putt has been the play for a long time. Now at least there is some decision making involved. You can still run the basket, but you risk going hazard. If you do you still have a good opportunity to save 3. Or you can play your tee shot short, and have a for sure putt for 2, but it'll be a longer look