• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

Thanks. Taking McBeth at his word, just imagine if, all else being equal, just five of those had been inbounds...

IMHO, this is where McBeth lost the Worlds. No disrespect to Ricky, but one has to wonder if he'd have held up if it'd been a lot closer and McBeth had played just five of those OBs in play instead...

I think 20 was an exaggeration, but he had to play more aggressively to try and make up the large deficit he had to Ricky, and it came back to bite him. Even if McBeth keeps it in bounds a couple more times, Wysocki only went OB four times IIRC, and one of those was on the island hole during the finals when it was wrapped up. He was going to be pretty tough to beat.

I just watched a round (final round?) of the women's edited coverage by Marty. Great quality btw.

Val was so accurate, although she was playing a totally differnt game than Paige and catrina. It's like she wasn't even trying to drive 100% distances, they'd have 50' on here easily. But she won. She managed the course and putted very acuratley. She looked like she was laying up often, while the other 2 went for it allot and caught ob.

Thanks. Taking McBeth at his word, just imagine if, all else being equal, just five of those had been inbounds...

IMHO, this is where McBeth lost the Worlds. No disrespect to Ricky, but one has to wonder if he'd have held up if it'd been a lot closer and McBeth had played just five of those OBs in play instead...

I think this is a very salient point. In the past, when Paul beats Ricky you can often see a Ricky blow up over a hole or two that helps Paul. When Ricky beats Paul you see there is a component of Paul reaching to far and landing on repeatedly. If each of them avoided these errors, what an epic tourney!

I think 20 was an exaggeration, but he had to play more aggressively to try and make up the large deficit he had to Ricky, and it came back to bite him. Even if McBeth keeps it in bounds a couple more times, Wysocki only went OB four times IIRC, and one of those was on the island hole during the finals when it was wrapped up. He was going to be pretty tough to beat.

I agree with you, and of course if Paul threw better then Ricky might also have thrown a little more aggressively to stay ahead. There was one hole near the end where Paul just crushed a drive. Ricky could easily have played safe, but he crushed his drive, and IMHO it was to show Paul he could match anything Paul could do.

My thesis on all of this is that Paul started pressing when he got behind, and if he had not pressed but still began cutting strokes off Ricky's lead (we're talking 3d, 4th, and semifinal rounds here), Ricky might've pressed more. In Europe earlier this year, Ricky didn't do so well when "McBeast Mode" was on and Paul was catching up. Indeed, McBeth won one of those tournaments despite starting out five behind at the beginning of the last round.

So if McBeth just tightens his game up a bit, I think he is going to (continue to) dominate. Especially in the mental game, though Ricky won the Worlds this year. Time will tell, and we will see, but it may be most very fortunate for Ricky that he struck while the iron was hot and captured this Worlds while he could...

Paul was a bit off, but I did disagree with his decision to go after #18 at Jones East. Going for the eagle didn't work. In fact, the penalties cost him 2 strokes in the first 2 rounds.

Latest posts