• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

Amazing start by McBeth….(some other repetitive stuff I deleted)

Last edited:
Great livestream so far /s

Even advertising it as Hole 17 live. They say theres extended coverage with other holes. But who just wants to watch 17 most of the time? Really wish they had Climo in the booth as well

I know he's up by 8, but 96% seems high for having multiple rounds left. I ran a simulation (daydreamed about how he may potentially muck up) and I put him closer to a 87-88% chance of winning.

Remember one bad shot that reaches OB, plus one unlucky shot that reaches OB, could be 4+ stroke swing real fast. I am rooting for him tho, but also want more drama for my own selfish reasons.

Yeah, but with his lead he has to muck up three times for everyone else's once.

I used actual scoring distributions, with all the high scores in there, so it takes into account those "double penalty" situations.

41 seconds for Conrad to putt on #3. Why does nobody call this? Are there no marshalls? Is there no integrity?

41 seconds for Conrad to putt on #3. Why does nobody call this? Are there no marshalls? Is there no integrity?

The marshals that are there are specifically instructed to not actively make calls. They're there to clarify rules and tiebreak a call if needed, but it is left up to the players to initiate calls of violations. And history has shown that players suck when it comes to calling time violations, in part because they don't want to be the guy who starts what could turn into a tit-for-tat situation. It's a horse**** excuse, but it's one that exists.

I would say a key thing that prevents players from calling 30 second violations in their group is typically not wearing a watch (muted cellphone in pocket not convenient) and using any time while others are playing to think about their next shot.

The whining in the chat is even worse than I thought it would be...smh

Chat is worthless, so no surprise there.

What's been a pleasant surprise so far, given the low expectations people have had, is that the coverage has been good. They skipped hole 2 and hole 4 (might be signal issues) with the lead card but otherwise they've been with them for every throw. Remains to be seen if they follow them all the way around, but they've got wireless cams with them so I'm hopeful. This isn't a matter of a couple fixed cameras following the card from afar.

Frankly, this is ideally how I'd love to see all live coverage run. Lead card shot-by-shot coverage as much as possible interspersed with the fixed coverage on hole 17 and some pre-recorded packages. If this is what they had in mind all along, I feel like they did a poor job of framing and describing it in their promotions.

I was wondering what happened to Big Jerm. Then I noticed the nice fat 8 on hole 6

I miss the clubhouse ice cream. That awesome old dude (can't recall his name) made the best ice cream I can ever remember eating.

That's right, thanks! I just thought of him while they are doing a fluff-piece on the Winthrop 'family'.

One year my wife asked to come with me despite not liking DG. She spent the whole day on the sofa talking to Sammy (and others in line for ice cream) instead of reading the book she brought.

This camera crew has been subpar... not sure if Jussi has vendetta against the Smashboxx guys, but why not hire them to help produce/operate cameras for this style of show? Jamie and Avery took some warming up and have settled into a nice rhythm (At least compared to the over produced sounding start).

Good action on the course today. Hoping Paul can kick it into his next gear here and shut down all chances of someone catching up.

This camera crew has been subpar... not sure if Jussi has vendetta against the Smashboxx guys, but why not hire them to help produce/operate cameras for this style of show? Jamie and Avery took some warming up and have settled into a nice rhythm (At least compared to the over produced sounding start).

Good action on the course today. Hoping Paul can kick it into his next gear here and shut down all chances of someone catching up.

The camera men are professionals hired by a professional production company. I don't think Jussi had any say in the matter.

The problem is that these professionals still have no experience filming disc golf, so they're unsurprisingly having difficulty following the flight of the disc sometimes. Despite that, I can't imagine that a professional production company are going to hire amateurs to replace their own employees.