• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

I was just thinking about the coverage and why it looks so different than we are accustomed to. And it's simple. This is an Innova only event.

The PDGA NT series, DGPT and other events we see live coverage might be heavily represented by one company or another, but they aren't hosted and ran by them. The only exception is GBO, but they have the traditional coverage.

One of the things you have to do make live coverage work is fill the gap when players are walking, back ups etc. The traditional coverage has tons of adds from all kinds of manufactures and the FPO filed playing the hole from earlier in the day.

Basically, Innova isn't (and shouldn't) going to allow Discraft or Prodigy or whoever to advertise during their event. And since this is MPO only, unless we want to see coverage of a group of people 36 over par playing the hole, there's really no other option that what we are getting.

I really applaud their innovation (no pun intended) and their appraoch to this. I think it makes sense. If I can't see ads, I'll take JT and AJ discussing the event in a studio.

What I don't care for is the live coverage not being constant and hole by hole. I know viewers would understand why we aren't seeing other manufacturers commercials or why we aren't watching the guys in 116th place from earlier in the day.

The idea of going live to a single hole is a smart one. It's the closest thing we have to the PGA Tour. But missing shots of the lead card is just poor planning.

Good thing Goobypls isn't watching this live coverage

Nah, I was sorta checking UDisc every so often, but I'm just about to close that even. Up 7 (about to be 8 or more) with 24 holes left, I think it's over. What a boring tournament.

Am I the only one that is just loving getting to watch great disc golf coverage? People are complaining about the live commentators, people not playing well, people playing too well, the production company, some dude that used to do the production.

And now I complaining about them complaining..
...f$&k sakes. I'm gonna go watch first round jomez coverage.....

While I'd put McBeth's chances still very high (and this is coming from someone who'd have picked him to begin with, he's always the favorite to me.)

...at least he's doing his best to make it somewhat interesting for us going into the final round. :popcorn:

Nah, I was sorta checking UDisc every so often, but I'm just about to close that even. Up 7 (about to be 8 or more) with 24 holes left, I think it's over. What a boring tournament.
Till 7 up turns into 2 players 5 back going into the last round.

I pointed out after round 1 that this tournament has been won before by someone who trailed by 8 at the halfway point. Conrad trailed by 8 going into today. He's now within 5. Nothing's over yet. It's McBeth's to win, but it's not locked up.

I pointed out after round 1 that this tournament has been won before by someone who trailed by 8 at the halfway point. Conrad trailed by 8 going into today. He's now within 5. Nothing's over yet. It's McBeth's to win, but it's not locked up.

exactly, Paul took his foot off the gas so to speak and changed his game plan to hold instead of increase his lead. i couldn't manage this tournament half as well. i just prefer his"every shot as well as it can be done " game. i'll see the end after 2 rounds tomorrow afternoon with my son. tomorrow is our warm up for the annual family championship. enjoy.

While I'd put McBeth's chances still very high (and this is coming from someone who'd have picked him to begin with, he's always the favorite to me.)

...at least he's doing his best to make it somewhat interesting for us going into the final round. :popcorn:

It's wide open now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PrW3rd.png
    PrW3rd.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 294
Am I the only one that is just loving getting to watch great disc golf coverage? People are complaining about the live commentators, people not playing well, people playing too well, the production company, some dude that used to do the production.

And now I complaining about them complaining..
...f$&k sakes. I'm gonna go watch first round jomez coverage.....

People like being negative.

The coverage looked solid when the UDisc guy showed me the test run unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy it being on the course.

McBeth opened the door and I've seen larger leads shrink quick on the last day or even last 2 holes. Johne was up 5 or so going into 17 I believe. Should be a great day and fun to watch!

Can anyone explain how Jeremy Koling took an 8 on a 371' par 3? I'm imagining an OB right drive (though that wouldn't make sense for a RHBH), then into the water... twice? Or just OB water 3 times somehow?

Can anyone explain how Jeremy Koling took an 8 on a 371' par 3? I'm imagining an OB right drive (though that wouldn't make sense for a RHBH), then into the water... twice? Or just OB water 3 times somehow?

Udisclive says 3 OBs and 3 circle2 putts. Hole 6's OB are limited to previous spot or drop zone. Drop zone is about 45' away, looking directly at the water.

I'd guess:
1 - Drive, OB
2 - penalty stroke
3 - Putt from drop zone, OB
4 - penalty stroke
5 - Putt from drop zone, OB
6 - penalty stroke
7 - Putt from drop zone, miss
8 - Putt from circle 1, make

Udisclive says 3 OBs and 3 circle2 putts. Hole 6's OB are limited to previous spot or drop zone. Drop zone is about 45' away, looking directly at the water.

I'd guess:
1 - Drive, OB
2 - penalty stroke
3 - Putt from drop zone, OB
4 - penalty stroke
5 - Putt from drop zone, OB
6 - penalty stroke
7 - Putt from drop zone, miss
8 - Putt from circle 1, make

oohhh i forgot there was a drop zone on that hole. it seems crazy that he could miss twice from the drop zone, but this course takes no prisoners.

Big day for McBeth tomorrow...

If he wins, he should be player of the year, almost regardless of what happens in.the rest of 2018...a major and more real wins and consistency than the other major winners...and another second place finish at Worlds...

After Ricky dominating 2016 and besting McBeth (by a smaller margin) in 2017, this is a chance to really become "the man" again...

Eagle and Simon started the year with a real chance but neither could be in the discussion for best of 2018 if Paul wins this one...

exactly, Paul took his foot off the gas so to speak and changed his game plan to hold instead of increase his lead. i couldn't manage this tournament half as well. i just prefer his"every shot as well as it can be done " game. i'll see the end after 2 rounds tomorrow afternoon with my son. tomorrow is our warm up for the annual family championship. enjoy.

I don't think he changed his game plan - he still ran for eagle on 10 when no one else did, for example. He just wasn't as clean off the tee today. He's also sick - looked awful after the round, and you can tell it affected him.

Also we need to talk more about Kevin Jones, people. He's gonna run for those eagles tomorrow and I. Am. Here. For. It.

Last edited:
I don't think he changed his game plan - he still ran for eagle on 10 when no one else did, for example. He just wasn't as clean off the tee today. He's also sick - looked awful after the round, and you can tell it affected him.

Also we need to talk more about Kevin Jones, people. He's gonna run for those eagles tomorrow and I. Am. Here. For. It.

i didn't realize he was ill. i just noticed his shots lacked ( drives in particular) the execution i have come to expect when he is in the zone. i hope he is 100% tomorrow cause there's hounds on his trail.

I hate to say anything negative about the coverage today because it was a very good show, but Avery.... wow... "bidge" instead of "bid", "stoke" instead of "stroke", etc, etc....he's a good guy but I just don't think he should be in the booth. Such a harsh contrast to Jamie's crystal clear speaking voice.

But if Smashboxx can learn one thing from this coverage...and I have been suggesting this for quite some time...."Hole 17 Live" showed the top 10 scores often and when the scores were displayed they just verbally highlighted the movers, etc, no need to verbally address all the scores like the SB crew does. Just show the top 10 and move on, that was very professional and a pleasant surprise. It really allowed me to get a feel for the top 10 movement which you never really get from a SB broadcast since several holes can go by until they finally decide to show us the scores.

I had my doubts....I thought it would be a banter fest with very little live action...but to my surprise... as far as disc golf live tournament coverage goes, this was the best "overall" show I have seen. It's obvious Innova wanted a professional show to showcase their tournament, brand, players, etc, and they 100% succeeded. Looking forward to the final round coverage!