• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

I just looked on course stats and see that par on that hole may not have been set properlly seems to be the easiest birdie on the course.

It's designed to be an easy birdie, but it is definitely a par 4 as a lot of players can't even attempt to reach it in one. You see it in ball golf a lot...a reachable par 4 where the big hitters can potentially get to the green in one to set up eagle but even if they miss, birdie is still likely.

10 is a big risk/reward hole. The big arms can go for the green by shortcutting across the OB (~420 to clear the OB, 470 to reach the basket, low window so they can't really throw a big flex shot). It's not a overly dangerous risk as landing OB puts you at the drop zone which, if the wind isn't up, still affords you a reasonable chance to save par from 370 feet. Otherwise, you play up the narrow fairway around the OB so that it plays more true to its listed distance (550).

My assumption if it's playing for birdie or better 60% of the time, the wind must not be blowing much. At least in the past, this one has been an elevated basket which makes the putting a little tougher if it's even a little windy.

Well, things seem to be going to plan for someone. Average a 1085 rating and shoot the hot rounds (by 2 strokes) for each of the first two rounds of USDGC. Not a bad start. Keep it up McPablo.

It's designed to be an easy birdie,

When it becomes so easy to get birdie that it becomes expected, then that score should be par. When 57% of a group of players that average about 1000 get three or better, then three is the expected score.

but it is definitely a par 4 as a lot of players can't even attempt to reach it in one.

"Reaching it in one" is not the real measure of a par 3. Expecting to score a 3 is.

My assumption if it's playing for birdie or better 60% of the time, the wind must not be blowing much.

Isn't "not blowing much" ordinary weather conditions?

After I finished my spotting duties on hole 9 I went into Tournament Central for refreshments and decompression. Also watched with Harold Duvall, Jonathan Poole, and a few others a "test" live stream covering holes 11-14 (more to be provided, but this was a test) as well as the fixed stream on hole 17; notes were being taken as feedback to improve tomorrow's broadcast. Video quality was superb. Most should be pleased. Don't whine unless there's a lot of cheese.

Performance Tracks through 2 rounds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USDCG2018PT2.png
    USDCG2018PT2.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 251
When it becomes so easy to get birdie that it becomes expected, then that score should be par.

No it shouldn't. Birdies are not par.

On a separate note, how does a person with a low 800s player rating get into the USDGC? Was looking at some of the lower scores and wow.

No it shouldn't. Birdies are not par.

On a separate note, how does a person with a low 800s player rating get into the USDGC? Was looking at some of the lower scores and wow.

I saw that too. That dude is a career Rec player. At least he is actually a disc golfer though, unlike Lloyd Weema. Maybe he works for Innova, or is involved in the game in other capacities.

I'm amazed at the scoring spread for some of the top players!:eek: Surprised by how many are even or over par.

Anyone know what happened to Feldberg?

Headed to Rock Hill tomorrow to watch rounds 3 and 4. I've seen a few of the top pros play in person, but never PMcB, so I'm excited to be there for his 2nd (?) USDGC win..... Unless hole 17 has something to say about it.

So Paul has an 8 stroke lead with 36 holes of golf left. I think it's possible for Conrad to gain 2-3 strokes each round to make it interesting.. but this assumes Conrad plays clean and Paul makes a few mistakes. I don't think Paul can coast yet, round 3 will be the most interesting imop. Gosh I can't wait to see the live broadcast and see them talk about it. :p lol..

The Powergrip FB live will continue with all likelihood today. Tune in for the 1:00 card with Eagle, Barsby, Dickerson and Piironen for some super laid back coverage. Its basically justa camera on one of the caddies, but in surprisingly good quality. I found it refreshing, as you could hear a lot of the chatter and feel like youre just walking along in the group. Of course for non-Finnish speakers it might be odd, but yesterday there was a big international following in addition to the Finnish DG nerds.

Looking forward to both live streams today. And for Paul to put the nail in the coffin.

My assumption if it's playing for birdie or better 60% of the time, the wind must not be blowing much. At least in the past, this one has been an elevated basket which makes the putting a little tougher if it's even a little windy.

Indeed, the wind has been extremely light the first two days.

It's still an elevated basket per the fly-through video.

Interestingly(?), Paige P's two rounds on #10 have been eventful.....Round 1 shows her making it to Circle 2 after a drive and an approach, but then taking two putts from Circle 2, with the made putt being 38 feet!.....Round 2 shows a 3-putt starting from Circle 1!

People here seem to allow that par is about design, not about score. Your score arguments might be better received in the par thread. But it's a free country!

How can par be about design? Fundamentally, it's whatever the TD decides it will be. A good TD tries to make par reflect design, but there's no requirement. I remind you, for the first 15 or so years of this sport, par was 3, period. There are still tournaments, some which are rather large, where par is still... 3.

After I finished my spotting duties on hole 9 I went into Tournament Central for refreshments and decompression. Also watched with Harold Duvall, Jonathan Poole, and a few others a "test" live stream covering holes 11-14 (more to be provided, but this was a test) as well as the fixed stream on hole 17; notes were being taken as feedback to improve tomorrow's broadcast. Video quality was superb. Most should be pleased. Don't whine unless there's a lot of cheese.

Over the years, innova has introduced a number of things into the fan-sphere which have become the norm in our sport and to its betterment. Their innovation (did I really write that) isn't always perfect, but often enough, it changes what others are doing.

There didn't used to be a mando in the fairway (the corner) of hole #4. It was cool. Drives would go out to the landing area, then players would throw these putter shots that would go flat over the pine trees, then stall out and helicopter down to the basket. Or if you didn't have that shot, you would play the same way it is played today....just with no mando.

So what happens if they remove the mando today? Would players just try to cut the corner on their (forehand or roller) drive and blast through/under the pines on their 2nd?

Latest posts