• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 European Open

I'm waiting to see the post-produced final round coverage before making any comments. I'd imagine that is true of others, as well.

By the way, the post-produced videos of the first three rounds, FPO and MPO, have been good, so props to SpinTV for that. :thmbup:

The SpinTV coverage has indeed been great. This Spin Back shot of Ricky is :eek:.

My only complaint is BigSexy are sometimes unsure about whether or not a shot goes out of bounds. During a Jomez broadcast, the OB indicators prevent this problem.

That hole 16 R4 did not go down as i thought . . so after 3 attempts she did lay up. . and missed again
And she did almost run out of discs. . very hard to see

Not much talk about Pauls great comeback that last round..or more accurate how Ricky and Eagle lost it that last round.

All three kind of had one bad round but Paul was more consistent the other 3 rounds

Paul's round 3 was pretty bad, just as bad as Ricky's 4th, right? He left a lot of putts out there.

Paul's round 3 was pretty bad, just as bad as Ricky's 4th, right? He left a lot of putts out there.

Paul´s worst round was only one stroke better than Ricky´s worse

So Ricky had two rounds that was better than any of Pauls. . and still lost

Streets cries about tons of tourneys, every year. You learn to just ignore his posts.

(Sorry Streets, love you, but shut up already! :thmbup: )

Outside of WACO, Portland (PO and BSF), and the East Coast swing...most of the courses played on tour are just snoozers.

My only complaint is BigSexy are sometimes unsure about whether or not a shot goes out of bounds. During a Jomez broadcast, the OB indicators prevent this problem.

In the later rounds, they started putting "OB" where the player's score was, but it was only there for a second or two, and wasn't brightly colored in a way to catch the eye. So yes, something to potentially improve upon...

Nice to see that the R4 F9 MPO have 20tn views in just a few hours. . and that the FPO have 12tn views

Nice to see that the R4 F9 MPO have 20tn views in just a few hours. . and that the FPO have 12tn views

That FPO views number surprises me. When available, FPO is almost always the first rounds the my wife and I watch, but with the EO being as one sided as it was, we almost skipped watching rounds 2-4.

That FPO views number surprises me. When available, FPO is almost always the first rounds the my wife and I watch, but with the EO being as one sided as it was, we almost skipped watching rounds 2-4.

Discgolf is very big in Finland so to have Eveliina and Henna on the card helps with views

I like Jomez but this production was great, and the post round interviews was the best i have seen

I generally root against Paul because I'm on team parity, but there's no one else I'd put my money on when the pressure is up. How many times have we seen him step up in situations where the other players around him crumble?

Great tournament. Streets is objectively wrong, this is a great course.

Big ups to the Finns for showing the dg world what a top notch gallery can look like. Thousands of people lining the fairways like that is incredible. Never seen anything close to that in the states. The closest is GBO, and most of those people were also there to play the AM side in addition to spectating.

The 4th round was not bad at all to watch, even knowing the outcome. :thmbup:

I agree that rounds 2 and 3 were barely worth watching. :thmbdown:

Amazing

It looked like a two man race between the second and third best players in the world...

McBeth down to Ricky by 5 and Eagle by 4...

After 11 holes, McBeth had picked up 7 shots on Ricky and 6 on Eagle, to lead by two to both...

Amazing, against his real rivals, I believe there is McBeth, small gap to Wysocki and McMahon, then a larger gap to the next rank....the real rivals wilted in 11 holes on a chance to win a major...

McBeth wins his second consecutive major...something he hasn't done since 2015...

Congrats!

I'll be at Worlds for the last 4 rounds, hope that he can replicate what he did at Ledgestone...

Isnt that what internet forums are for??

Well, yeah. ;) :p

Anyway. Great tourney. I didnt see Ricky falling apart like that but i think a large part was due to the challenge of the course AND how much pressure that huge gallery has on your play.

Ricky just hasnt clicked yet with his forehand since going to innova. Im sure he will dial it in.

After watching the final round, it's not like Wysocki had one hugely bad hole as Paige P did on the 16th. Just a missed putt here, an approach going long there, and suddenly McBeth has caught up. Ditto that for Eagle, though he was more consistently dropping strokes.

And how about Tamm! Kid brought HUGE game, and on the card with the world's best! Props! :clap:

Last edited:
That was a fun tournament to watch and that last round had some crazy good shots. I will say Nate and Jerm kind of ruined it for me a bit. They were so focused on Paul starting on hole 1, that they should have just come out and said that he was going to win before the round even started. I avoided all social media to still have that surprise aspect of the coverage, but knew Paul won right away based on their dialogue. Eagle had tied for the lead at one point and their comment was Paul is only 1 back now. Really guys? You can't just ignore everyone else. I really liked that course though. I feel like so many of the courses they play are built for the top guys to win. If you don't have a 500' drive you literally do not have a chance to win. This course you could be a 400' guy and still hit all of those shots as placement was a lot more important. I really like that everyone could have a chance if they played well.

That was a fun tournament to watch and that last round had some crazy good shots. I will say Nate and Jerm kind of ruined it for me a bit. They were so focused on Paul starting on hole 1, that they should have just come out and said that he was going to win before the round even started. I avoided all social media to still have that surprise aspect of the coverage, but knew Paul won right away based on their dialogue. Eagle had tied for the lead at one point and their comment was Paul is only 1 back now. Really guys? You can't just ignore everyone else. I really liked that course though. I feel like so many of the courses they play are built for the top guys to win. If you don't have a 500' drive you literally do not have a chance to win. This course you could be a 400' guy and still hit all of those shots as placement was a lot more important. I really like that everyone could have a chance if they played well.

The commentary thing bothered me, too. Kept talking about Paul when Eagle was also tied for the lead and Tamm was still a factor. Surely not intentional, but the tone gave away the result.

This is one of my biggest issues with post produced. It's like watching a movie you haven't seen yet with your friend who has, and they swear they won't spoil anything, but then they totally do by saying things like, "oh I hate this part!" And then you know someone dies.

After watching the post coverage of the European Open I would have to say this tournament should be considered a major in the sport of disc golf. The course was beautiful and challenging and the crowd was unlike anything we have seen here in the States. What a great tournament... when it comes to disc golf Europe has got it going on.

Ricky just hasnt clicked yet with his forehand since going to innova. Im sure he will dial it in.

I disagree 100%. That Pig is doing wonders for his bh & fh. Ricky is easily in the top 5 players, he could win any event he plays in. If anything, he may not be as consistent as Paul is. But he did seem to get a few bad breaks in this tournament.

Discgolf is very big in Finland so to have Eveliina and Henna on the card helps with views

I like Jomez but this production was great, and the post round interviews was the best i have seen

I totally agree. The video production was fantastic, maybe the best the sport has ever seen. Still not a fan of JK as a commentator, and Nate seemed a bit subdued, taking the back seat to JK over and over. And his constant "mmmm...mmmmm" was a bit odd. I think Nate has an obvious future in disc golf commentary, but for Spin TV productions, Jamie And Nate would be an ideal team imop.

The commentary thing bothered me, too. Kept talking about Paul when Eagle was also tied for the lead and Tamm was still a factor. Surely not intentional, but the tone gave away the result.

This is one of my biggest issues with post produced. It's like watching a movie you haven't seen yet with your friend who has, and they swear they won't spoil anything, but then they totally do by saying things like, "oh I hate this part!" And then you know someone dies.

Seems to me that the only way to get commentary as if they don't already know the results is to have commentators who don't know the results. And at this stage, the only way to get that is to have live commentary, which of course, doesn't work for these condensed post-produced videos.

These folks aren't trained commentators, or actors for that matter. I just don't think they're capable of being 100% neutral about the results. Like you say, it's not intentional, but it's tough to avoid regardless.