• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Will Paige be invited to play? . . .and if so, will she play?

She is invited. The women's World and US champions get invitations. She seemed undecided when asked about it on Smashboxx a couple weeks ago.

Not sure about the sidearm championship comment.
Admittedly, the course has been won by strong sidearm guys lately, Paul, Nate, Jerm, Paul.
But before that, Will, Steve, Will, Will, Nikko, Nate, Ken, Barry, David.

I think sidearms guys do better because Winthrop Gold tests the players whole game.
And if you don't have a good sidearm (and I don't), you don't have a complete game.

Out of the loop. Why wouldn't she play?

She did play in 2017 and came in at 87th , not that fun to play for that spot. . she want to play to win.
Maybe she can play "just for fun" but i don´t see that much benefit for her to do that

One field, no FPO/MPO. No chance at $. Might be better off playing a smaller event and getting paid.

I don't think it's true that she has no chance at cashing. Where would her best golf put her in the standings?

Out of the loop. Why wouldn't she play?

From the interview, when asked if she'd play, she says "I don't know...I kinda want to watch."

It's not as though it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for her. She's played it multiple times before (won the performance side once). She's made a point of trying to qualify for it outside of the women's only opportunities (Worlds and US Women's) so clearly she likes to play it. As long as the tournament continues to invite the World and US women's champions, I imagine she feels she can afford to skip playing it this year and still have more opportunities to play it in the future.

a.k.a. The U.S. Sidearm Championships

For a long time, the USDGC was trying to get players to throw something more than just a backhand.

From 2007: https://www.pdga.com/discussion/archive/t-24812.html
Harold has tried valiantly for years to make some holes at Winthrop that heavily favor the use of a righty forehand. Hole 17 this year in particular. But Harold's experience is that despite the advantage of using a forehand on that tee shot, the majority still use backhand at their peril. He's amazed at what he calls "backhand savants" that are so good with that shot, they can overcome the need for any other type of throw except in escape situations.

I don't think it's true that she has no chance at cashing. Where would her best golf put her in the standings?

In the last five rounds she played she has average a rating of 1016. . if she could play like that she could place well.

In the 2017 USDGC she had one really good round , she played a 62 in R3 . .Paul had 59 that round and 57 was the hot round . . but many top MPO players had alot worse than her 62 . .i think only 12 players had better than 62 that round.

So she could place ok, but she need to play at her peak in every round

She did play in 2017 and came in at 87th , not that fun to play for that spot. . she want to play to win.
Maybe she can play "just for fun" but i don´t see that much benefit for her to do that

I saw her there last year, in the first round, and she seemed to be enjoying herself. It would definitely be for fun.

From the interview, when asked if she'd play, she says "I don't know...I kinda want to watch."

To that point: I think it was at the end of the MVP Open that I saw Paige P and another woman with no-kidding cameras taking shots of everything, and I saw a comment by someone on these boards (don't remember who or where, so sorry) that Paige P likes doing photography. So maybe she's thinking of doing some photography at the USDGC, maybe even being paid to do so? Just a thought... :popcorn:

To that point: I think it was at the end of the MVP Open that I saw Paige P and another woman with no-kidding cameras taking shots of everything, and I saw a comment by someone on these boards (don't remember who or where, so sorry) that Paige P likes doing photography. So maybe she's thinking of doing some photography at the USDGC, maybe even being paid to do so? Just a thought... :popcorn:

She works for/with Alyssa (spelling?) Van Lanen photography. A hurt herself before or at the beginning of the MVP open and couldn't walk so Paige covered MPO and I forget who shot FPO for her.

She works for/with Alyssa (spelling?) Van Lanen photography. A hurt herself before or at the beginning of the MVP open and couldn't walk so Paige covered MPO and I forget who shot FPO for her.

Nate Perkins.

Those three are more or less a unit on tour. Two vehicles, but they stick together.

Not sure about the sidearm championship comment.
Admittedly, the course has been won by strong sidearm guys lately, Paul, Nate, Jerm, Paul.
But before that, Will, Steve, Will, Will, Nikko, Nate, Ken, Barry, David.

One of the pros said that two years ago when Sexton won. I forget who. Prolly someone without a sidearm.

There's definitely an advantage there. And I think the days of players without at least a competent sidearm-who aren't also named James Conrad-winning this tourney are about over.

Kevin Jones has been working on his all year. Wouldn't be surprised if he won considering he got 3rd last year without one.