• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Great Lakes Open

[cool_story]

Day 2 Johnny Disc Golf followed the card I was scoring for a bit. He said Toboggan was the tied with Jonesboro for the most elevation change of any course on tour. Toboggan gets the W for most hole-to-hole change, while Jonesboro is more like 3 holes in a row straight uphill.

[\cool_story]

I know the courses there are not quite as long but I would think Smuggs would be in the running too.

Philo and Ian discussed that some and pretty much came to the same conclusion. That up and down effort can impact a player.

Ian also made note of North Boundary park outside of Pittsburgh hosting the Butler County Disc Golf Class as a Silver Series giving Toboggan a run for its money. It's been quite a few years since I played Toboggan, but I feel like NoBo is steeper and has quite a bit more elevation. Just straight hole elevation, the MPO division will be throwing 419' uphill and 444' downhill. Many of the walks are uphill as well. There will be some sore legs for sure after this event.

[cool_story]

Day 2 Johnny Disc Golf followed the card I was scoring for a bit. He said Toboggan was the tied with Jonesboro for the most elevation change of any course on tour. Toboggan gets the W for most hole-to-hole change, while Jonesboro is more like 3 holes in a row straight uphill.

[\cool_story]

Ian also made note of North Boundary park outside of Pittsburgh hosting the Butler County Disc Golf Class as a Silver Series giving Toboggan a run for its money. It's been quite a few years since I played Toboggan, but I feel like NoBo is steeper and has quite a bit more elevation.
I've played NoBo on two separate occasions, and even described the elevation as Toboggan-like in my review.

I don't have a topographical survey or empirical data, but I wouldn't say there's much of a difference in how much uphill/downhill walking you do between the two. They both take a lot out of you.

I know the courses there are not quite as long but I would think Smuggs would be in the running too.

I'm planning a trip to play there after Green Mountain. Then I'll be able to say where it fits in.

Seems like they all were just having some fun with the situation. After the round, the kid who owned the bag, had Gannon trace his foot in sharpie where it was and add his signature.

yup. it was a very easy shot that would result in an up and down probably 99% of the time so he just went with it.

I've played NoBo on two separate occasions, and even described the elevation as Toboggan-like in my review.

I don't have a topographical survey or empirical data, but I wouldn't say there's much of a difference in how much uphill/downhill walking you do between the two. They both take a lot out of you.

I'm planning a trip to play there after Green Mountain. Then I'll be able to say where it fits in.
Haven't played Tobo, but played both GM and Nobo, and IMO GM got nothing on Nobo. Only other course I've played can think of off hand that compares with Nobo elevation is Iffy Holler.

Haven't played Tobo, but played both GM and Nobo, and IMO GM got nothing on Nobo. Only other course I've played can think of off hand that compares with Nobo elevation is Iffy Holler.

Iffy* took more outta me than Tobo or NoBo.
...but Iffy was 24 holes.

*features 1/4mile uphill hole.
OH BUT THE SCENIC VISTAS!!!

Add six more holes to Tobo/NoBo, and youre comparable to Iffy . :eek:

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea how long Toboggan will be playable yet?
The whole "extended season for Toboggan" thing is still quit new. Last year, was the very first time: they pulled the baskets after DGLO, and put them back in for Oct 1 -31.

As far as I know, that's the plan this year.

Park website doesn't provide any useful info.
https://www.metroparks.com/kensington-metropark/

You could call park office and see what they say:
810-227-8910.

I wasn't planning on going to the park until this weekend, so I can't confirm whether or not baskets have been pulled. :\

The whole "extended season for Toboggan" thing is still quit new. Last year, was the very first time: they pulled the baskets after DGLO, and put them back in for Oct 1 -31.

As far as I know, that's the plan this year.

Park website doesn't provide any useful info.
https://www.metroparks.com/kensington-metropark/

You could call park office and see what they say:
810-227-8910.

I wasn't planning on going to the park until this weekend, so I can't confirm whether or not baskets have been pulled. :\

Thanks Bogey, I called and Toboggan won't be open again until October 3-30th. Looks like I'll be dragging the family to Shelby, MI instead. Probably more for them to do in the area anyways I'm guessing.

Thanks Bogey, I called and Toboggan won't be open again until October 3-30th. Looks like I'll be dragging the family to Shelby, MI instead. Probably more for them to do in the area anyways I'm guessing.
Real excited to play this in OCT with the leaves turning, and rough possibly not as rough. Have only ever played it in the heat and humidity of summer. Hopefully my trend of scoring near the air temperature will continue this fall...

Latest posts