• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

59 and new to disk golf!! Any other older golfers out there?

Grandmaster !

Wow , welcome to the Grandmasters ! :thmbup:

I'm in my 3rd. year of playing after being shown the game at age 50 . Best addiction possible ! .

We moved so my home course is now 45 minutes away and the rest of the local courses is a hour away in the other direction , but I still get 2-4 games a week in the old stomping grounds . Definately not as much as the first 2 years , with daily and sometimes twice daily walks with the dog . But the soccer field work across the street has stepped my game up !

Jealous of everyone that has years experience , but I was kinda busy Mtn. Biking and rock climbing . Still ski with the best of them tho ! Think the wife is happy I don't come home broken any more!

Great advice on this forum , try to listen when they say " Stay away from high speed drivers " , I've got a bunch I can't throw and need to sell ! My buddies that showed me the game are pretty impressed that I throw putters where they throw their drivers !

Just wait til u throw ur first Ace ! Got my first one of the year on Friday after work , then threw another one on Fathers Day with my son , but couldn't complete the hat trick last night !

At this age , the worst thing I've come across is that I have no fear of opening my wallet ......

here is my advice.

Have fun, don't worry about the bad shots, life is short so don't waste time warming up or practicing your putts. Throw high speed drivers and throw then hard. Buy a Zone.

Thought I'd chime in here. I'm 55 and I just started playing a few weeks ago. I'm having a great time and learning something new every day.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the forum posts on technique and doing drills: hammer, right pec, etc. I am lucky to have 2 softball and a football field in my backyard so I throw every day out there where I don't have to worry about bothering anyone.

I am throwing around 200' max now and I know I have some technique issues, so I'm confident I'll be able to get to a decent distance eventually. For now, I'd rather keep it in play than spend my time searching for lost discs.

There are half a dozen courses within 5 miles of me, so I guess I'm really lucky in that respect. I would enjoy meeting up with someone more experienced who would give me some pointers. But, I'm guessing once I start playing more regularly I'll run into someone.

I bought several putters and haven't settled on one yet, though I'm really liking the MVP Ion, I also have a soft Magnet that seems to have an uncanny attraction to the basket. For mids I have a couple Buzzz (a soft and a z) and I have the MVP Tangent, which seems to fly very well for me. I also have a Westside Warship that seems to consistently outdistance everything else. I have a TeeBird that I through once in a while, but honestly, I get as much distance, and better accuracy from the mids, though I'd guess that will change as I improve my skills.

Congratulations and WELCOME!!

I just started last summer at 41 and have just fell in love with the sport and it has become a new addiction and very fun activity with my 12 yr old son. All of the above comments on disc selection are perfect advice. Field work at a park will improve your game very quickly. Doubles and tag rounds with local club members will help you to see different approaches to the game and most people are willing to help and teach. Tournaments and competition are a great way to push yourself to improve also.

Good Luck !!