• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help turn me into a real live disc golfer

Stop bending your knees and sticking your butt out in the setup, note how your spine is extended and body tense.

Stand up and relax, only slight bend in knees and hips, spine into flexion navel tucking toward belt buckle so your shoulders and arms hang loose and can swing freely.

After watching that video I am confused because it seems to be saying that your pelvis should be tipped forward at setup and progressively lessen tilted forward as you swing. I think that is what I am doing? If I look at where I am just before release, I think I've reduced pelvis tilt quite a bit (although not enough so that I get to a slight flexion of the back as was being discussed in the video).

attachment.php

In any case, I'm setup that way to encourage me to keep my balance point more over my toes. When I don't set up that way, I tend to end up staying vertical through my swing. That and I didn't want to start out hunched over, like I've been sitting improperly at a desk my whole life or something. ;)

But I'll work on being more relaxed at the start.

You should only bend your knees with motion. You are creating unnecessary tension from the start and tension is the enemy of a swing. Standing static should have almost no knee bend, so everything is relaxed and Eagle's balance is still over his toes.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 2.16.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 2.16.10 PM.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 100
More work. I think I see improvement. On the course, I've definitely had some pulls with the putter that went to places I wouldn't have previously been able to reach, so golf distance has been effected, even if I don't know that I've really seen gains on the field.

Generally more balanced, more shoulder rotation on the backswing, not leaving the disc inside/hugging, plant foot more closed with the hips still closed after the heel has planted.

Is my forward trunk rotation starting too early though? Does my lead heel need to fully plant before my trunk starts unwinding?

Sidenote: I'm kinda of amazed at the video quality given that the glass over the lens is cracked on this phone ATM.

im not sure what you have worked, hopefully these arnt repeats

at the end of your throw your upper body is leaning to the right of the teepad shown below

topple.jpg

my initial thought on the cause of that might be:
1. bend more over at your chest as when the disc gets into your power pocket/hit your spine is now upright (shown below) and i believe this position is pulling you to the right of the teepad. it might be the angle thats throwing me off when i look at it a second time
cxvx.PNG

2. Once you get in this position your post leg , right leg, should hold all that momentum back.
fhfgh.jpg
but when we play the video your body keeps pressing up and the brace is collapsing. the weight has to go somewhere so its starts to hinge and you go to the right

the issues i had of falling over my brace came from two things. it wasnt one video but a combination of videos.
a. rocking the hips helped me learn more about my body
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134329
b. the drive leg thread helped me learn more about my drive leg movements
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137173

hope this helps!! :thmbup:

im not sure what you have worked, hopefully these arnt repeats

at the end of your throw your upper body is leaning to the right of the teepad shown below

I think this might have more to do with how mechanical and slow/deliberate I am at the moment.

Here is where I was 3 weeks ago. Although I was in all sorts of wrong positions, my two steps were much more natural, quick and bouncy.

I've been working on getting a better hip and shoulder turn, keeping my torso over my hips, planting towards the target instead of laterally, keeping the reachback outside the body, and not collapsing when I start forward.

But I think in being very deliberate about getting to those postions, I've lost all that naturally occurring momentum capture that comes from a more "light footed" move forward. And so I wonder if I'm then forcing the turn forward using my upper body, which unbalances me.

Nice turn back. Now we need to shift balance to the front leg bracing up on front hip and kick rear leg behind front leg.

Alright, think I made progress today on bracing with a more natural walk up. Had some trouble keeping my turn back full as I tried to go into the brace, though.

That, and I tended to "scoop" my throws a lot, especially at first.

I think I got farther into the power pocket when I synced everything up. There is a little "pop" at the end of the throw that doesn't feel like it was there before, although it didn't show up in throw distance.

I think I really don't like that little rear foot "skid out" that happens early in my forward swing.

I've behind and side slow mo looks, as well as a little earlier in the session regular speed.

I think I got farther into the power pocket when I synced everything up. There is a little "pop" at the end of the throw that doesn't feel like it was there before, although it didn't show up in throw distance.

sometimes progress doesn't show in distance, but effort required to throw distance. possibly it was that it required less effort to go a certain distance that before required more effort.

great job on the progress, it looks really good!!!

sometimes progress doesn't show in distance, but effort required to throw distance. possibly it was that it required less effort to go a certain distance that before required more effort.

great job on the progress, it looks really good!!!

That wasn't particularly a complaint on my part (although who doesn't want that internet distance :thmbup: ) but more of a "I don't know if this is real or just hopes and dreams. "

:D

Looks like you are trying to use your left arm to rotate your body counter clockwise into backswing, instead of using your lower body to rotate your pelvis and left arm counter clockwise into backswing.

Looks like you are trying to use your left arm to rotate your body counter clockwise into backswing, instead of using your lower body to rotate your pelvis and left arm counter clockwise into backswing.

Yeah, at some point I had noticed how far behind me my left arm was when I planted this time, but not while I was actually doing the field work. I will work on that.

The way I have managed to get more rotation is by concentrating on rotating my left hip and left should backwards towards the target. That gets me to a much better place than just thinking rotate, or reach back, because it keeps me centered on my spine, with my throwing arm staying outside.

Otherwise I end up trying to reach back with my lead arm further, which ends up with my torso lagging and my arm inside/collapsed. But I really haven't been thinking about where the left arm is getting to. It was much better in the previous video/field work session. So I will work on getting back to that.

Interestingly, in that video, the example he starts with of using rotation is punching, and you see him doing exactly what I am doing, pulling the left elbow back as a way to encourage the rotation. It's practically the first lesson in all martial arts training. When the punch gets thrown, the opposite arm comes back.

Try doing a lefty backhand/backstroke swim stroke to bring/pull you into the righty backswing lagging behind. Mirror everything back and forth over and over.

Took a couple steps back before I could get going back in the right direction. Think I got somewhere over the last two or three sessions. I was much more consistent on the field today.

I have two slow-mo putter throws, and two fairway driver throws. The fairway drivers are better than the putters, but overall I'm getting braced, not hugging, getting decent torso and hip rotation and leaving my off arm in a better position at the end of the backswing.

The fairway driver throw from the side I think might be the best overall position I have ever gotten to in my swing. Especially, the position of the disc at the power pocket point, and then the overall rotation of the torso and hips just before release. I'm guessing that's still not getting far enough into the pocket though. But look at that huck face!

I definitely didn't get to this position every time, but this was near the end of the session. I feel like I was generally improving my swing over the course of the field session, which frequently is not the case.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ThrowPos1.JPG
    ThrowPos1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ThrowPos2.JPG
    ThrowPos2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 82
Alright slight confusion on an issue. I was trying to correct what looked like right arm/shoulder collapse in the backswing (< 90 degrees to shoulders). I was concentrating on pushing my arm out away from chest rather than straight back.

When I did that, I started immediately getting a massively "late" release, way right of my target line. In general, it seemed like I was getting an increase in velocity along with the late release. Whereas when I let myself just naturally go straight back, I am releasing right down the target line.

This is really confusing, because I thought hugging should promote a late release. But I'm getting the opposite effect.

Here are two throws with putters. The first is straight back/slightly collapsed, the second one pushed out/90 degrees. I have the exact same two throws both from behind and the side. Both throws went ~240.

You are aiming to the right and also throwing anhyzer.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 2.59.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 2.59.47 AM.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 56
I've been working on keeping my weight more centered, and not leaving my torso tilted away from the target. I think I'm doing a better job of getting my weight onto my front leg before my rotation starts. Not doing an X-step but rather a little shuffle then hop to help both of those.

I'm also trying to get something that comes closer to bracing. Not sure if I'm really there or not. I do think I'm doing a better job at not opening my front hip before planting, while also not having to step across my body to get there. Again, the absence of the X-step seems to help.

I still don't like what my trail leg is doing. Maybe that's where "kicking the rear leg behind the front leg" is supposed to come in? But I'm not sure I really "get" that.

Lastly, I hope I'm not pulling early, that I'm letting my body do the work, but there are definitely times when I manage to have a random "looser" swing that seems to come out a little better. I may try and locate one of those in a video later on.

The Heat (orange disc) was probably the best overall throw in the session and it went about 285. That's probably peak form for me right now.

The King (pink disc) I definitely yanked it slightly, but not too bad, and it went about 300. Looking at a variety of other throws, I think my late releases tend to come from my weight getting a little too far forward? And then my shoulders outrace my hips? I think?

When I compare the Heat to the King video, I can definitely see that as I turn forward the shoulders are ever so slightly more rotated when the disc is in the same position in the swing, so I'm thinking it makes sense I would release it to the right.

Heat:

King:

You are extending your rear leg instead of falling/sitting/squatting.

Feel like I maybe had an aha moment today. I need some confirmation that this is on the right track.

I was doing work today on the falling/sitting/squatting, although I'm not sure how successful I was. At times I thought I was doing better at it, but not really sure.

I think I managed to "unlock" more of the power pocket. The first image is what I think has been normal for me. The next two are deeper into the pocket, I believe. My key thought was trying to just "let" my elbow get farther toward the target, with the forearm still on the line of the target, the elbow pointing at the target. I definitely felt more of a "tug" in my elbow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The big issue with this was that I tended to really release the disc late of my target line.

Here are the 3 throws the images come from:

Fierce:

Warden:

Pipeline:

Attachments

• FiercePP20220821_Crop.JPG
    FiercePP20220821_Crop.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 41
  • WardenPP20220821_Crop.JPG
    WardenPP20220821_Crop.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 41
  • PipelinePP20220821_Crop.JPG