• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

a big sack doesn't make you pro

Brall

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
what is the general consensus on a rec player or noob using a large pro bag?

in a way, i would compare it to bowling. picture seeing someone come in to an alley with this bowling gear; shirt, shoes, 2-ball bag, 2 balls, chalk, towel, wrist guard... and then bowling 3 games around 100.

here's why i ask. i'm a rec player, but i'm considering getting a gorilla boy simian this summer. i'll prob carry 13-17 discs which is fine for that bag, it's ultra durable and probably the last bag i buy for the next 20 yrs... but the a big bonus is the built in seat. i don't play a lot, but when i do it's nice to have a clean seat once in a while. sometimes my friends and i plan days where we play from 8am to 630pm. get's tiresome.

one thought about this is - who cares what anyone else thinks? get the bag, screw them, play the game and have fun.

but really, who wants to be the chatchy guy in the alley throwing 100pt games? i'm not the know-it-all that struts around thinking i'm the s@#$. i'm actually the opposit and would rather no one notice me except the group i'm with.

what are your thoughts on this?

I say don't worry about what anyone thinks. Do what YOU want to do. Most people won't care that you carry a huge disc golf bag yet you suck at disc golf.

one thought about this is - who cares what anyone else thinks? get the bag, screw them, play the game and have fun.QUOTE]

This. Don't worry about anything but your next throw. If someboday has a problem with you having a Simian, its probably because their jealous for two reasons;

(1) They wish they could afford a Simian

(1) They wish they had a seat while they play

Get the bag if you want it, and tell the haters to piss off.

Buy the bag you want and "F" them.

If anyone snickers at you calmly take off your bag, have a seat on it, and say "Why don't you sit down and we'll discuss it?" Works well if you can find a particularly dirty area to do it.

There's no bigger tool IMO than the man who's concerned with what other people think of a decision that doesn't concern them. If you want to buy the bag, then buy it.

Just make sure you plasti-dip the bottom if you play on a desert or mountain course!!!!

Get the bag, if you usually bring that many discs along and want a seat. It'll get good use. Who cares? Does my falling apart starter bag packed with discs make me look like a newbie? Probably, but anyone that plays with me enjoys my company, I have a ton of fun playing, and sometimes I play well. Disc golf never has been about looking cool, its about having fun.

If you like to carry the extra weight, go for it. At the end of a hot day, it just helps your opponents out more if you are being competitive. I use or can tell another exactly why I carry the 18 discs that are in my bag. The part I laugh about is the guy that carries sentimental plastic. If you dont use it, than leave it on the wall.

Then there is the guy that talks smack and thinks they can play, and tries to convince others they are good cause they carry/know so much about the plastic in their aresenal. I love this guy, as they pay me off time and time again. I have to sandbag the score from time to time to keep them interested.

I don't see how good someone is dictates the type of bag they have. You carry enough discs to need a large bag like the simian. Why not get what makes you happy and forget about everybody else..

I wouldn't compare it to bowling, we're outdoors. We need snacks and beverages and jacket storage and disc retrieval gear and bug spray and sunblock and even pruning shears and stuff if you're a course's maintenance man.

I think more than anything, a large bag signifies that you're serious about disc golf enough to be in it for the long haul, which means you probably don't litter, vandalize benches and signs, poach discs, and generally raise dickens. I'm proud to be associated with that group.

im not the best player ever and i carry a big bag........ they are nice . tons of room for discs ,towels,clothes,beer :D dont worry about what what other people think. haha we play golf with a guy that rocks a mullet and he defiantly does not care what anyone thinks.

Agree with all of this.

... makes me wonder about the cart hate in other threads, though. Same thought process. Ah well.

im not the best player ever and i carry a big bag........ they are nice . tons of room for discs ,towels,clothes,beer :D dont worry about what what other people think. haha we play golf with a guy that rocks a mullet and he defiantly does not care what anyone thinks.

X-actly.

i love my revo carolina bag. i think i fit like 8 beers in one side pocket the other day. i wonder how many beers total will fit in that thing?

A lot of times in my bag that can carry almost 20 discs you might find 10-12. The extra space can be used for a hoodie so you don't have to tie it around your waist and look like a total douche when it gets warmer, or in case it gets colder. I also carry extra towels, a baseball, snacks, golden retriever where I may need it.... Honestly id rather be the guy who sucks and has a huge bag then the soaking wet, hungry, dehydrated guy with a sweater tied around his waist and half of his discs and his shoe stuck in a tree from trying to knock a disc down... Just saying, THAT might have me worried about looking stupid.