• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

a big sack doesn't make you pro

Im a no0b that carrys 14-17 discs in his "sack" all the time. I also wear certain shoes and pants for disc golf. haha. If somebody thinks thats lame, then they can suck it. I dont carry every disc I own, but I do carry every disc I need (or feel comfortable with) for certain shots.. I also carry a putter back up or two incase the winds change or I just feel some bad juju from a certain disc.

Just carry/wear/do what you want.. Ive met great players that carry 5 discs in cooler bags as well as great players that carry 20+ discs/ a chair/ a cooler/etc.. Its all in what you prefer.

I get really annoyed when people are like, "you must be really good, look at all those discs". In my opinion, it makes more sense to carry a lot of discs when you're newer and not as advanced. Personally, I carry a lot because I'm trying a lot of them out, getting to know what's right for me, what does what in different situations, different throws, etc. What I don't get is the noobies who are like, "I've got a driver (boss) and midrange (hornet) and a putter (whatever), but man, my backhand sucks, it just goes dead left out of my hand." So I'll just echo everyone else's comments, carry what you want.

Different strokes...

It's pretty much the same in any sport/endeavor. There are always different levels of equipment commitment. Some people have to buy the most expensive gear. Maybe it makes them feel like a 'Pro'. Others can get by with less.
Example #1: I started racing BMX again recently so I got a cheap entry level bike to start out on ($300). That's how I roll. When I get to the track, some of the guys I'm passing are on super-trick light weight million dollar BMX bikes with trick carbon-fibre parts, etc. Is it the bike or the rider?
Example #2: Table-tennis: I got a decent paddle & some extras to make the game enjoyable. Some of the guys in the club that I beat regularly have special $250.00 table-tennis shoes! $250 for shoes? I'll keep my $45.00 New Balance's.
Example #3: I race motocross (motorcycles) & my bikes are usually mostly stock. Others in my class have $2500.00 anodized wheels, $1500.00 exhaust pipes, etc. Do these expensive parts make them any faster? Maybe a little but you still have to have the sack to hold the throttle on.
Bottom line: having the best equipment is not necessary but does make some people feel better about themselves!

Honestly id rather be the guy who sucks and has a huge bag then the soaking wet, hungry, dehydrated guy with a sweater tied around his waist and half of his discs and his shoe stuck in a tree from trying to knock a disc down... Just saying, THAT might have me worried about looking stupid.

Lulzzz

thanks all for your input.

i expected a little more of a mixed feeling on the subject but the vast majority seem to be positive and say "do what you want and have fun".

and i agree with that!

i also really agree that because this is an outside sport, it's very different than the bowling metaphor. i enjoy not being hungry, dehydrated etc... :)

and DiscChainBasket18, for me, it's not about owning the most expensive item, it would be about getting something that will last a lifetime, have all storage i require & even duel as a set. if you can point me to the $10 bag that does this... also, most people would want to show of their cool item, but i'd be the opposite.

but you do bring up a good point. i hate when people try to show they are the best at something just by getting the $$$ items.

Last edited:
A lot of times in my bag that can carry almost 20 discs you might find 10-12. The extra space can be used for a hoodie so you don't have to tie it around your waist and look like a total douche when it gets warmer, or in case it gets colder. I also carry extra towels, a baseball, snacks, golden retriever where I may need it.... Honestly id rather be the guy who sucks and has a huge bag then the soaking wet, hungry, dehydrated guy with a sweater tied around his waist and half of his discs and his shoe stuck in a tree from trying to knock a disc down... Just saying, THAT might have me worried about looking stupid.

Jeez, man, stop posting this sh!t - I'm gonna get fired for laughing my @ss off!

I'm not a fan of big bags myself, but I could care less what kind of bag others use. I don't even look down on people who use a cooler or Wall mart bags to carry their discs in.

So all the responses are pretty much the same so far...so I have to ask, what if he was talkin bout a cart? Then all you "I don't care about others" peeps would have judgement to pass, huh?;)

personally, if i were to see someone with a cart, i would feel the same way as if i saw someone with a nice bag.

in fact, i would prob do a double-take and think "that's pretty cool man"

but i can understand why someone would think that a cart is corny but an awesome bag like the simian is not over-the-top. i'm not one of them, but i understand their point.

Not me. We have alot of cart users down here. They don't bother me at all.

I think a cart would be kinda cool.. but the terrain in my area is definitely not suited for a pull along cart.... sooo, if I saw someone with a cart here I might scoff a bit, but I understand for flat courses without millions of acorns, roots, hills, rocks, steep inclines, dead bodies, people with broomsticks, etc..

People with broomsticks?!?

to each his own. for casual rounds i like to carry a beverage or two, a snack, a towel and 4-6 discs. it's always nice to see that i need that bigger variety of discs much less than i think i do and it brings me back to my first year of playing, which was the most fun of 'em all.

I'm cheap and utilitarian. I get the basic model and try to get the max out of it. If my equipment truly is the difference between winning and losing, I may upgrade but won't take out another mortgage to do it. I get my kicks out of beating guys with all the bling stuff.

I love my large bag.It carries everything I may need and it leaves me room to pick up all the litter that the one disc frat boy flickers leave everywhere.

i love my huge sack. i can fit a 12 pack as well as 20 discs and any other crap i may be bringing along