• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Legitimacy

In ball golf a legitimate ace can only occur during a completed round played strictly by the rules. Since you only played a few holes, and off a temporary tee it wouldn't count officially. Ball golf runs a clearing house where you can register your ace. Ace records are only taken from this registry.

That said i was playing two separate balls in ball golf one day (disqualifies it from being official) and hit one into the hole for an ace. While it wasn't official I still count it as one of my five. I had also snuck onto that private course that day while it was closed, so couldn't very well get it certified (pro needs to sign).

So basically i would count your ace when relating to others, but don't count if you are going for some kind of ace record or such (you obviously aren't).

(But I think Kegel's was a Legit Ace cuz it's legit like an adjacent TD approved tee that a TD might designate for messed-up tees)
That's up to ASS to decide! And you don't mess around with those thugs. I'm sure they would counter with, "And what is that TD's full name and contact information?", as they start to reach for their rubber hoses, brass knuckles, and truncheons.

P.S.- My guess is that 0.005% percent of all disc golfers agree with you (but 99.99% don't care one way or the other. I don't have any hard stats, but I put everyone who has posted in this thread among the 0.01% who have an opinion. And on that note I wouldn't be surprised if 0.005% of all disgolfers disagree that the shot in question was a real ace!)

Teeing off next to an icy or snow covered tee is actually encouraged up here. It's pretty dangerous on an icy tee. I'd count it for sure. You get the ace AND you don't eat s***. Win win.

Kegel,

You can count this as an ace, but if you do are you willing to live with the consequences? You have just publicly confessed to a transgression of not throwing from the standard tee, so at any moment of the day or night the Ace Standards Squad (ASS) now has every right to come without warning, break down your door, wag their finger in your face, and yell at you! Do you really want this happening in the middle of some cold frozen night? Do you realize that they actively monitor every post on all disc golf message boards? If you have a family think how this will traumatize your wife and kids? How will your wife even show her face at the grocery store? You will need to resign your church membership and maybe even move. What if your boss finds out? Forget any government job that needs a security clearance. If you have kids in school think of how they will be They will be mercilessly taunted! Can you live with them being forever marked and scarred from this?

So before you add this to your Ace list I urge you to do some soul searching and seriously ask if you can live with these consequences.

:D:D:D
Haha...I can handle the ASS squad coming after me!

Teeing off next to an icy or snow covered tee is actually encouraged up here. It's pretty dangerous on an icy tee. I'd count it for sure. You get the ace AND you don't eat s***. Win win.

I remember that day at Dretzka like it was yesterday. You could tell just by looking at it, that teepad proper was slip and fall city - there was no way in hell I was shooting off of it!

I remember that day at Dretzka like it was yesterday. You could tell just by looking at it, that teepad proper was slip and fall city - there was no way in hell I was shooting off of it!

Dretzka winter? Those are rubber pads too, right? Rubber pads suck in the summer much less April.

Dretzka winter? Those are rubber pads too, right? Rubber pads suck in the summer much less April.

It was actually the summer course hole N4, one of the very last days the regular baskets were in last season. We had a ton of early season snowfall, freeze-thaw, and that teepad is one I've seen covered in water enough times to know it was very likely pure ice underneath the snow cover.

In ball golf a legitimate ace can only occur during a completed round played strictly by the rules... Ball golf runs a clearing house where you can register your ace. Ace records are only taken from this registry.
So Kegel, don't try to register your ace with the ball golf clearing house, because you didn't meet many of their standards. You probably didn't even use golf clubs, reserve a tee time, or pay a greens fee...

So I have an ace dilemma. One local course has removed the tray from their baskets and I hit what sounded like a solid shot to the chains but without the tray it's hard to know if it would've satyed in, but it's likely based on where the disc ended up (less than 8' from the pin and on the right side for a RHBH throw with a Wasp at 280'). Does it count?

So I have an ace dilemma. One local course has removed the tray from their baskets and I hit what sounded like a solid shot to the chains but without the tray it's hard to know if it would've satyed in, but it's likely based on where the disc ended up (less than 8' from the pin and on the right side for a RHBH throw with a Wasp at 280'). Does it count?

While ASS will definitely want to decide, sounds perfectly like an Asterisk Ace, first invented several posts above by a non-ASS member

That's a tough one. You just heard it, didn't see it? It's hard to say without a cage. I don't know how many times I've hit a lot of chains and the disc didn't stick. Might be an asterisk ace.

Also, why did the remove the trays?

That's a tough one. You just heard it, didn't see it? It's hard to say without a cage. I don't know how many times I've hit a lot of chains and the disc didn't stick. Might be an asterisk ace.

Also, why did the remove the trays?

CoVid-19 social distancing hypercaution?

That's the only thing I could think of too. If so, how asinine is that?

True of False: 99% of all aces were not intentional.

I would say, True, but 95%. I give a more generous estimate of people who step up saying I'm going to ace this. We do know there are some who called it before they threw it, I'm just they might closer to 1 in 20 than 1 in 100 of aces.

True or False: 75% of an ace is smart skill, 25% is dumb luck

I'd flip it around. 75% dumb luck if not more. You generally have to throw a pretty decent shot for an ace so there's some skill... usually.

CoVid-19 social distancing hypercaution?

That's the only thing I could think of too. If so, how asinine is that?

Too much of a "touch point" apparently. Every other course in our area still has them.

I didn't see it, but given that the other 4 people on my card were playing the medium and short tees while I was playing from the longs (4 hole challenge for $5) and all said it was on a good line and was high enough (cage is higher than the lowest chains), I'd bet it would've stayed based on the distance and disc type. The first thing I said was "Did it stick?"

Was it witnessed? Did the witness(es) agree it was an ace?

I know this isn't ball golf, but in ball golf a hole-in-one only counts if it was witnessed. Yes, if you are playing a solo round and make a hole-in-one, you can still mark it as one, but you don't really get to count it or 'brag' about it. The first thing asked is 'did anyone witness it?'.

Was it witnessed? I think I saw a later post saying your group agreed it was an ace - so it's an ace.

Disc Golf is unlike Ball Golf. In Ball Golf there is a hole in the ground your ball has to end up in. In Disc Golf, you can be playing a basket course or an object/target course. With basket courses, your disc must end up in the tray after entering in a legal fashion (no going through the side of the tray). With object/target courses, you must hit the object/target between the marks defining the object/target. In your case, I would consider it a basket course that had been temporarily converted to an object/target course. Therefore, you would only have to hit the target/object in the proper area.

Latest posts