• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Legitimacy

**PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT**
There is a new category of aces called "Par 2 Aces".

I'm kind of shaken up, so I need to tell you my story. Last Saturday I had an ace on a 69 foot hole on a par 2 putter course. ASS immediately hauled me in to their headquarters for questioning. One of their goons gruffly informed me that there is now a new designation for various types of aces. More and more par 2/tiki/putter courses are being set up so the ASS Executive Committee decreed a new ruling. Since an ace on a par 2 hole is a birdie, it is of a different standard than an eagle on a par 3 hole. Therefore the ASS Ruling Council has ruled that henceforth, all aces on par 2 holes can ONLY be called a "Par 2 Ace."
I know, I know, I don't like it either, but when I protested that's when they got out the brass knuckles. Y ou don't want to mess with these guys; ASS makes Navy SEALS look like clowns. Hey, I'm not the one making this stuff up, so all we can do is comply...

Hey Kegel,

I want to amend one point that I made earlier. Personally, I would now call the ace you made standing to the side of the iced tee an ace because you were unable to play the normal tee due to safety reasons. I changed my mind after playing the hole below (hole 4 at Hampton 9 in Hampton VA, 190 ft). The tee was worn down gravel and totally flooded in a puddle after a heavy rain and was unplayable, so I teed to the side. If I had aced then I would add the ace to my list, with no asterisk, because I played the hole in the only way that I could, even if it was not exactly the normal layout. Just want to let you know that I'll back you up in case anybody questions you about it.

e45b1786.jpg

Could you have taken relief back along the line of play? That would have been legal with no penalty.
Ya know, that's an excellent question, and I've been asking myself the same question since I wrote that post. I have to say that I don't know. My hazy recollection is that it was also too muddy and slippery behind the tee, otherwise I don't remember why I didn't go in back of the tee on the line of flight. It was about 6:30am, and I was playing really quickly to get back to the family, and the course is not that memorable, and I've played too many holes since then to remember. It may also be that I just made a mistake by playing to the side. No video is available and until I finish the work on my time machine, the world will never know.

And in my world hole length does not matter for an ace. If it is on a hole at a permanent course and I meet my personal criteria then it is an ace.

One of my aces was at a permanent course, but on a one-day temp hole which everyone played the same (it was a League round, about 50 people). Defined tee, real basket, scored and rated round with an ace pool. I consider this a legit ace.

Here's one I always wondered about. What if early in a round you intended to play the long basket and aced the short basket? Do you immediately switch to playing shorts and count the ace or play your lie? It's never happened to me, but that question crosses my mind every time I play a course with short and long baskets.

Would that be considered a black ace?

Here's one I always wondered about. What if early in a round you intended to play the long basket and aced the short basket? Do you immediately switch to playing shorts and count the ace or play your lie? It's never happened to me, but that question crosses my mind every time I play a course with short and long baskets.

Here's how I see it:

If, when you throw the disc, your intent is to play the long basket, then the short basket is no different than a tree, or any other obstacle between you and the basket.

You should be planning a line that takes over or around that obstacle, not through it.

If you hit it, I don't see how you can consider it holed out. Just because you hit a target, doesn't mean you hit the target.

But ultimately, only the person who threw it can decide for themselves what they consider it.

Would that be considered a black ace?
I suppose it's kind of a "gray ace.". Seems you should have much more chance of hitting a basket that's in the intended fairway, than hitting a basket that's on an entirely different fairway.

Last edited:

I suppose it's kind of a "gray ace.". Seems you should have much more chance of hitting a basket that's in the intended fairway, than hitting a basket that's on an entirely different fairway.

So named because the the old galvanized baskets are relegated to the less desirable (usually shorter) pin positions. The new colorful baskets go to the preferred (usually longer) position everyone wants to play.

So named because the the old galvanized baskets are relegated to the less desirable (usually shorter) pin positions. The new colorful baskets go to the preferred (usually longer) position everyone wants to play.

So named because it's not quite black.

Here's how I see it:

If, when you throw the disc, your intent is to play the long basket, then the short basket is no different than a tree, or any other obstacle between you and the basket.

You should be planning a line that takes over or around that obstacle, not through it.

If you hit it, I don't see how you can consider it holed out. Just because you hit a target, doesn't mean you hit the target.

But ultimately, only the person who threw it can decide for themselves what they consider it.

I like gray ace.

Beware the Ace Standards Squad!

This happened to me half way through my round about a month ago. I always try to adhere to legit scoring even for casual rounds, outside of sometimes throwing two drives on hole one. I didn't switch to playing shorts, and I ended up getting a par 3 on the hole. That was disappointing, but the short basket is about 40' from the long one. It was my one and only black ace and that's what I call it. I didn't write it on my disc like I do when I get what I consider to be a real ace. This is only the way I look at it personally.

This happened to me half way through my round about a month ago. I always try to adhere to legit scoring even for casual rounds, outside of sometimes throwing two drives on hole one. I didn't switch to playing shorts, and I ended up getting a par 3 on the hole. That was disappointing, but the short basket is about 40' from the long one. It was my one and only black ace and that's what I call it. I didn't write it on my disc like I do when I get what I consider to be a real ace. This is only the way I look at it personally.

Grey Ace

Definitely grey, it was on the lop, it wasn't completely out of the fairway. But yeah I guess you might as well call it a black one. I'm enthused because this is the first time I considered this possibility haha. Our course is tight and short, no alternate baskets, just alternate tees from time to time. There is no grey.

Once you go black though.........

Don't let that get in your head at all :D

We chanted that at a guy for a while.. "Black, black" it totally messed with him haha. Friends :)

Latest posts