• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Mentality

I frequently joke that I too often throw my shots 10% too short, when 10% long will result in the same distance putt (but give the ace a chance). If there's room for a safe comeback, I'd like to build that mentality. Unfortunately (for my ace count), I still tend to 'lay up'.

A friend of mine who's been playing for years says he's only hit 6 ever, but he's pretty much always well under par and winning rounds because he gets the deuces...a LOT. Which would you rather have, one ace in a round score of 53, or no aces, but your seven 2's net you a 47? ;)

I just shot a 40(1052 rated) in a tournament with an ace and 12 park job deuces. I wasn't trying for aces, it was short and skipped in. I putted poorly that round. Can we agree that they are just lucky shots? I've been playing 20 years and i've had a lot of lucky shots.

Both my aces were bad throws that ended up good.

First one: I thumbed a banshee, kicked off a tree and landed gently in the back of the basket. Had I missed the tree, I likely would have been 50' or more long. In my defense I was drinking, so disc selection was not a high priority :D

Second: I threw my Mamba on a hyzer flip line, but nose up. It climbed 25' and somehow stayed straight for 300' and crashed chains. Had I missed it would have been an easy 2.

My only ace was a missed line. I tried to anhyzer around a bunch of trees, and instead got lucky when I missed my line and went straight through them.
If I can reach the basket with a putter, I'm going for it. I'll take my chances that it'll slow down and settle before I blow past too badly.
If I have to step up to a mid or driver, well, I still aim for the basket, because my accuracy just isn't there yet, either.

and on a side note, there have been many times this year that I have been trying for an ace and it didn't happen. Only once was I successful. In a doubles round we parred a hole and my partner and I were trying to not only win but shoot a course record -18. It was on a blind downhill hole and I luckily skipped a Ti Stalker into the basket. It took skill to hit the gap but luck to connect with the basket and make it stick. Maybe I have gnomes.

96e13ca4.jpg

here's luck for you. last ace turned over hard (accidental wrist roll) that should have been deep rough. basket is dead straight at top of the hill (175ish). instead it turned into the big tree halfway down on the right, went back into the middle of the fairway and without losing speed drilled it dead center. i've also aced this one via kicks from the trees pin high on the right.

Out of my dozen or so aces, not a single one was intentional. I don't stand on the tee aiming for an ace. I have a target area around the basket where I feel comfortable landing and sometimes the shot goes in. Bonus.

Over the weekend I played Springvale north and south in Thornton, CO. Almost all of the holes on this course are wide open 200 ft holes where you can throw your putter off the tee and aim for the chains with no penalty of blazing past the basket... needless to say I quickly adapted the "ace mentality" while playing them, and eventually I aced hole 13 on the south course which is a 201 ft wide open slightly downhill shot. I was going for aces on literally every hole out there! I had never played such a short and easy course before, so this is definitely an exception. however, hitting that ace was so gratifying that I am likely to have this "ace mentality" more often in the near future on similar holes.

^exactly-- its a confidence thing for me.. Just step up to the tee and say "I'm going to ace it" :cool:

Doesn't work at all, but I feel pretty confident during my drive and on the tee which is all that matters IMO... Not second guessing shot selection or line to the basket etc.

I see the line for the ace and hope I get, LUCKY :D

^exactly-- its a confidence thing for me.. Just step up to the tee and say "I'm going to ace it" :cool:

Doesn't work at all, but I feel pretty confident during my drive and on the tee which is all that matters IMO... Not second guessing shot selection or line to the basket etc.

I see the line for the ace and hope I get, LUCKY :D
So what you're telling us is that you aim for the chains, Aim For The Chains?

Yep. I know hole 1 at Moraine and I always run at it.

Probably has something to do with putting confidence too. Unless there is water or a steep cliff I don't think twice about running anything in my jump putt range because I feel confident banging out the comeback if I miss.

9 holes with 150-250' holes certainly help. So does playing a lot.

Personally I plain have more fun going for the aces and whatnot.

so now DGCR is condemning running a disc at a basket going for the ace? wow this white knighting **** is going way to far.

.... cue somebody to come in and victim blame the basket for taking it like a bitch

so now DGCR is condemning running a disc at a basket going for the ace? wow this white knighting **** is going way to far.

.... cue somebody to come in and victim blame the basket for taking it like a bitch

Who is the one person in this thread that speaks for all of DGCR?

Exactly what I was thinking ^^ after 35 posts, I don't think anyone can conclude DGCR stands for anything in particular. New's post went entirely over my head and he'll have a looong comeback putt to make his point clear..(see what I did there?)

People always think i'm full of it when i have this conversation as well. I aim to land about 20' short and to the right/left of the basket (BH/FH) for a skip/slide up to the basket. I adjust that based on disc choice, and ground obviously.

This has netted me a whopping 2 aces in many years of playing. My first ace was a hole I ALWAYS tried to ace (early in my playing) and I can't even describe how many 3's and 4's i got on that hole before my ace. After I got my ace, I realized how dumb I'd been, and I started throwing 200' instead of 220' (for the ace) I started deucing the hole over 90% of the time.

Unless the disc choice leads to an ace attempt that would really be a drop out of the sky into the basket type situation, which little to no roll away potential, I do not try or think about it at all. I focus on choosing a disc that will slide/skip up near the basket for a 10-15' putt for deuce. Consistent, and better for my overall game.

Not giving a rats ass about my "Ace count" really does help the game. I'm sure i'll luck into some more aces, but I really don't care if I do or not.

Latest posts