• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Added cash? Where do y'all get it from?

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Soooo just curious how others do this...I've run a few C-Tiers and some unsanctioned tourneys and have done payouts a handful of times. The PDGA web site is rather pathetic on how payouts are to be distributed sometimes - or maybe I am just dense. Anyways, I've notices that for Pro B-tiers theres a $700 added cash requirement for open payout. Where exactly is that supposed to come from? I've thought about it and here are my current thoughts:

- The $700 could come from the am side. This seems like a horrible idea to me. Reduce the am payouts by $700 to pay the pros? I'm pretty sure I'd get run off the course with pitchforks and torches. No thanks.

- Sponsors...I really don't know how others do it. I positively SUCK at getting sponsorships for events. I can run a good event, organize it, line up all the goodies, etc etc but getting people to donate eludes me. I can occasionally get gift certs so people will go in an visit the business which doesn't really help with the added cash.

I just got done running what I think is one of my best tourneys ever this past weekend which was a trophy only and am only C-Tier. 70 people came out to play and we had an incredible lunch with awesome player packs which really makes me not want to do another payout again - like ever. I would love to see a spreadsheet or some such report to show how you cover the expenses and what the income is if someone is willing to share. Thanks

-Dave

Here's one way:

If you have 50 Ams at $50 each, that's $2,500. You give $2,500 worth of payout, valued at retail---that's 100%.

But you only pay $1,800 wholesale costs for that merchandise. There's $700.

I suspect there are a lot of ways people do it, besides that. Yes, sponsorship is one; some people are good at begging for money. I used to play a B-tier where the town itself donated the added cash (they may still, I don't know). It can come out of club funds, which were raised in any number of ways. Sell discs, sell lunches, at the tournament to raise funds. Sell $50 hole sponsorships ($900).

AhgHtnP.png

Here's one way:

If you have 50 Ams at $50 each, that's $2,500. You give $2,500 worth of payout, valued at retail---that's 100%.

But you only pay $1,800 wholesale costs for that merchandise. There's $700.

I suspect there are a lot of ways people do it, besides that. Yes, sponsorship is one; some people are good at begging for money. I used to play a B-tier where the town itself donated the added cash (they may still, I don't know). It can come out of club funds, which were raised in any number of ways. Sell discs, sell lunches, at the tournament to raise funds. Sell $50 hole sponsorships ($900).

I suspected this was going to be the answer or what R-Ogre said lol. Yeeeeaaaaah I think this answers my question as to whether or not to do a straight B-Tier or split tier. We're just not a big enough club to guarantee an extra $700 - and I am not running an event into the red. We usually have about 30 or so members and typically get 10 to 20 at our weekly leagues. If we were double that size maybe. I see what you are saying about the merch but I am not doing that. If collect $2500 from the ams, $2500 goes into am payouts (minus expenses). My feeling is, if the pros want the added cash they can help me fetch it. Until then, it'll be a pro C-tier am B-tier.

Just stick with a C-Tier. For B-Tiers you have to give the PDGA more money so less of it will go to the players. If anything just do a C-Tier with added cash.

I suspected this was going to be the answer or what R-Ogre said lol. Yeeeeaaaaah I think this answers my question as to whether or not to do a straight B-Tier or split tier. We're just not a big enough club to guarantee an extra $700 - and I am not running an event into the red. We usually have about 30 or so members and typically get 10 to 20 at our weekly leagues. If we were double that size maybe. I see what you are saying about the merch but I am not doing that. If collect $2500 from the ams, $2500 goes into am payouts (minus expenses). My feeling is, if the pros want the added cash they can help me fetch it. Until then, it'll be a pro C-tier am B-tier.

Which brings up the better question; it's not how to fund a B-tier, but why fund a B-tier.

Particularly if you have 70 ams for a tournament. Stick with that success, and be happy.

But the wholesale/retail differential isn't taking anything from the Ams. They're getting their full entry back, anyway---which always strikes me as strange, because it means they're not paying anything for the actual tournament. That's money the TD earns with his work and merchandise arrangements, if he has them; it's his to donate to the pros, to course improvements, or whatever. This works as trophy-only, just as well; the 100% applies to prize payouts, players packs, or any combination.

On the other hand, if you're not using that funding, you can keep entry fees low for the Ams; have just as good a tournament with less stuff.

Just stick with a C-Tier. For B-Tiers you have to give the PDGA more money so less of it will go to the players. If anything just do a C-Tier with added cash.

It's a negligible difference---$1 per person. It won't be noticed in the players pack, either way.

If the event draws 2 more people because of it's higher-tier status, that will more than replenish the payouts.

It's true, it's real money, but in the decision of whether to sanction as a B-tier, it's a minor factor. Particularly in comparison to the mandatory added cash.

I've gone from running unsanctioned to C tier to B tier...and now back to C tier. In the past, I've raised $ via sponsorship packages. I offered different dollar amounts in return for social media mentions, tee signs, banners, players meeting mentions, etc.

As mentioned by others, the difference between a C and B is mainly the $ amount required. I think it's $2 per player for C, $3 for B. The sanctioning fee is also $25 higher. AND, your score posting requirement is same day.

Last edited:
We have done tee sign sponsors for $25.00 each on a 36 hole course to drum up money for added cash. Also offer other items than just discs for payouts, making some of our merch or buying some in bulk and having it available for all our tournaments. Hoodies, t-shirts, towels, pint glasses, hats, etc... Usually goes towards the Clubs bottom line and giving us some banked funds to use as needed. We can cover added cash for C-tiers we host or invest in stuff like our heat press and vinyl cutter. Easiest way is to just run C-tiers to keep that added cash down.

We do raffle at our league every week. Dubs total $8 so we do a $2/ticket raffle every week. We get donated discs and other dg related items to give away every week. The money raised at the raffle each week goes to the added cash in addition to tee sign sponsor at $25 each.

I have found that the socioeconomic status of different areas are often a factor in terms of sponsorship available from the community - Businesses (Larger sponsorship for their brand / company plastered all over the event materials) - Local players (Smaller sponsorship often being hole sponsors). A strong club involved seems to remedy many financial risks / goals involved in any event.

I used to do a CTP contest for a basket the day of the event to raise funds, but found that to not be worth the effort financially or logistically. Players not interested in winning a basket are not thrilled with an extended lunch so the TD can corral more players to join in on the CTP contest.

The one thing I continue to do is a simple raffle for a bag and a few discs. This has historically covered sanctioning and most of the PDGA fees for the Pros ($3 each). If you choose to do Pro payout at 100% you will lose $3 per Pro player.

From what I can tell, many participate in the raffle who have no interest in winning the bag and discs - they just do it to support the event and its costs. Also, I think that the $5 for the raffle is much more attainable for a TD and affordable for the player verse the $20 hole sponsor or larger sponsor packages. Again, dependent on the area.

Last edited:
The one thing I continue to do is a simple raffle for a bag and a few discs. This has historically covered sanctioning and most of the PDGA fees for the Pros ($3 each). If you choose to do Pro payout at 100% you will lose $3 per Pro player.

100% according to the PDGA subtracts the sanctioning fee ($3) from the entry fee.

Soooo just curious how others do this...

There is not one answer, but many...

Our Club tournaments earmark $5 of the buy-in at every tournament (not league) throughout the year. $1 for traveling ace pool, $2 Course Fund, $2 A-Tier Fund. The players don't seem to mind and it allows us to raise money incrementally. We hold ~6 events/year where we do this.
50 people x $2/ea = $100 X 6 events = $600

I saw you have a small club, so you may not get 50 at each event, or run 6 events, but it is a start.

The most accurate answer to your question is sponsorship. Bigger events are ALL about sponsorship. So, it is critical that you have sponsor documents that offer programs for people to pick.
Asking for money is hard, and it sucks. It is a lot easier to ask if 'they'd' be interested in sponsoring a club, course, event... and hand them a flyer.

Make sure the list is easy to understand and choose from. Offer multiple price points so budgets of all sizes can participate. Start with these:
Hole Sponsor: $25/ea
Shelter Sponsor: $50
Leaderboard Sponsor: $75
Practice Basket: $100
Water Sponsor: $150
Snack Sponsor: $200

Then, if you can find businesses to donate water or snacks your spend is $0, but you've got the water and $100 of water money & the players get free water - everyone wins!
*Bonus points if you can have the snacks home made since the cost to produce snacks is far lower than buying them.

Carrying merch is a PIA, but it is a revenue stream. If you don't have/want a full inventory, contact a manufacturer and order 100 +/- discs with a fundraiser stamp on it, then sell the discs, proceeds go to the event.

Hold raffles. You need good stuff in the raffle, so you either have to buy it, have it donated, or a mix. Raffles make a lot of money because of the low entry can get in for 1 for $1, 6 for $5, 12 for $10, 25 for $20.
- I've seen some success with silent auctions, but I think people prefer the raffle.

Ask a pro to run a clinic. $20/person. $10 to the pro, $10 to the event

Hold a fundraiser event. 18 holes with a raffle, food, drinks, etc. $25/person, $5-$10/person goes to supplies - depending on what it will take to satisfy your audience & what you can get donated, the other $10-$15 goes to the event.

Hope this helps!
Good luck - begging for sponsorship will still suck. But having documents is huge to getting people on board.

Last edited:
Carrying merch is a PIA, but it is a revenue stream. If you don't have/want a full inventory, contact a manufacturer and order 100 +/- discs with a fundraiser stamp on it, then sell the discs, proceeds go to the event.

Hold raffles. You need good stuff in the raffle, so you either have to buy it, have it donated, or a mix. Raffles make a lot of money because of the low entry can get in for 1 for $1, 6 for $5, 12 for $10, 25 for $20.
- I've seen some success with silent auctions, but I think people prefer the raffle.

FYI there are many disc stores that will do online payouts for you. Marshall Street will do your Am payouts for $.80 on the $1. 20% off. You can take that 20% and put it back into the tournament. You just collect everyones email and send it over to marshall street with your payment and they email gift certificates.

On the raffle we usually go a little higher on raffle ticket cost at 1 for $5, 3 for $10 or 7 for $20. Establish business accounts with manufacturers and you can get great pricing on baskets, bags and discs for your raffles. Ask for donations. Players will donate new discs they don't throw. There is a lot you can do to raise funds.

Ask for donations. Players will donate new discs...

I am not sure if it is a regional thing, but the players in Virginia (Mid-Atlantic) are very supportive in this sense without even asking. Many players just walk up and hand a few discs over - I have offered to make sponsor signs and the sort, but many just say to do whatever I choose.

It has become like a "Pay it Forward" thing to me, (Maybe everyone) as I do the same when I participate in other events.

On topic - I am sure it has been mentioned, but something I rarely have ever done until recently is to simply set out the discs you have available for sale. Seems obvious, and probably is to most, but for some reason it never became standard practice for me personally. It seemed like an extra task I did not want to deal with while getting everything else done - doing the math now, I can see I missed out on a pretty solid chunk of funds available.

If your thought toward me is "You are an idiot" - I would call that a reasonable assessment.
Hindsight - 20 20 and such....

Latest posts