• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advantages and Disadvantages of throwing faster discs on shorter shots?

The main issue I run into with faster discs on shorter holes is the skip after the ground it. Even powered down they can take a massive skip and put we way past the basket. I've started flicking a Saint on shorter holes, and it seems a bit better. I havent found a mid to flick that I'm comfortable with fh, but I can flick my Rhyno and Ridge pretty well.

slower disc will slow down appropriately. It may be more difficult to throw a disc that is "too fast" for the distance in such a way that it slows to a stop pin high.

Advantage is lower power, which for some can lead to better accuracy. I am 50/50 on that as it does mess with my timing to throw below 50% power. Other advantage is a lot more side-side motion for the same or less effort.

Disadvantages are the skipping out and overdriving.

I use OS drivers a lot on 200-300ft holes that require 40-75ft of fade off the fairway. My skip aces have been with Stiletto and an XCal on holes under 240ft. I have run at one of them again with a mid, but the skip wasn't high enough to get to the chains and tagged the bottom of the cage.

There's a hole about 200 feet with tree in front of the teebox. Righty or lefty, everyone throws a spike hyzer. I throw a 13 speed driver flat and high. The fade is very reliable, about 20 yards. My misses on that shot are still pretty good. I know I gotta work on the spike hyzer shot but on that hole during league, I'll take the birdie with a driver please.

I do the same thing. Especially with forehands. I just find that I can throw a much more predictable line with faster more OS discs. I used to carry a Nuke OS for this purpose too... I switched it out for a really beefy GLO Champion Max about a year ago. It is easily the most predictable and consistent disc in my bag. Heavy headwind or tailwind - doesn't matter. I know just what angle and power to put on it for whatever hyzer I need. It'll skip for a mile if you let it.

I had a problem with short forehands because the amount of snap to get a disc spinning correctly would turn most short discs over. Until I found the magic of a Banshee and a Drone. So now, between my Predator and those 2 discs, I have a full range of forehands. The problem I always had was using a big disc for shorter wooded shots. There is too many variables because you have to be careful with accuracy and distance because bigger discs skip and cut more than shorter ones. I had a lot of nice looking shots skip way out of putting range.

I do the same thing. Especially with forehands. I just find that I can throw a much more predictable line with faster more OS discs. I used to carry a Nuke OS for this purpose too... I switched it out for a really beefy GLO Champion Max about a year ago. It is easily the most predictable and consistent disc in my bag. Heavy headwind or tailwind - doesn't matter. I know just what angle and power to put on it for whatever hyzer I need. It'll skip for a mile if you let it.

I am debating switching out my nuke OS for my firebird this season. I carry the predator and pd and love both but the pred doesn't feel that good with a forehand grip. Do you think the speed difference between the nuke OS and firebird is great enough to make a difference? My nuke OS skipped me out of birdie range a bit too often last year... I just watched the newest CCDG video and noticed mcbeth and philo throwing the Max and pd2 on holes shorter than 250.

I am debating switching out my nuke OS for my firebird this season. I carry the predator and pd and love both but the pred doesn't feel that good with a forehand grip. Do you think the speed difference between the nuke OS and firebird is great enough to make a difference? My nuke OS skipped me out of birdie range a bit too often last year... I just watched the newest CCDG video and noticed mcbeth and philo throwing the Max and pd2 on holes shorter than 250.

I use my 12x firebird regularly for the same approach. The firechicken is usually a little longer of a disc for me, it doesn't come back quite as hard and as fast as my Max does (my GLO Max is unusually beefy, even for a Max), so it works better for me out to 275'-300'. Although I find that I could use the two discs interchangeably if I had to. Oh well - carrying more plastic adds to the intimidation factor, right? :|:|:wall:

I feel like you really have to be in tune with your game and what's in your bag to start throwing super fast discs for shorter shots. Sometimes it can get you in trouble because the slightest nose up or extra anhyzer you give a fast disc could make for some serious trouble.

That being said, I do like using a faster, low glide disc for short forehand shots. I feel like your margin of error is kind of nullified by the fact that the disc simply isn't going to fly that far if you do screw up. Also, if you look for alternative lines (if your arm is big enough) you might be able to find a lot of 'over the top' lines that might not look so direct, but can sometimes be easier if you consider throwing a super fast disc on a short hole.

I feel like you really have to be in tune with your game and what's in your bag to start throwing super fast discs for shorter shots. Sometimes it can get you in trouble because the slightest nose up or extra anhyzer you give a fast disc could make for some serious trouble.

That being said, I do like using a faster, low glide disc for short forehand shots. I feel like your margin of error is kind of nullified by the fact that the disc simply isn't going to fly that far if you do screw up. Also, if you look for alternative lines (if your arm is big enough) you might be able to find a lot of 'over the top' lines that might not look so direct, but can sometimes be easier if you consider throwing a super fast disc on a short hole.

Something like an xxx?