• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on a tunnel shot....

I'd prolly throw a thumber, get 1/2 to 3/4 down the way, hit a tree and play the up and in for the 3. The thumber is great for tight straight lines. Thin=win!

Interesting thread...so I counted and here are the results so far:

1. Stalker seems to be the favorite as a pick
2. Followed by Teebird or TL
3. Roc or Buzzz
4. Stratus, Leopard, Valkyrie
5. The stragglers were: Starfire, Wraith, Boss, Cro, Beast, Core, Mako, Meteor, Z Putt'r, Comet, Wizard, Stingray, Cheatah, RoadRunner, Lat Striker, Wasp and Aviar

~1. A putter was commented the most but not a specific mold
Also, a few said that they would finesse some speedier discs or try a thumber/tomahawk

This is a badass hole. Id rip my champ eagle and play for the eagle :) fitting. Disc flies 350 with no fade

My only thing with a Leopard is, you can power down and have it go straight, but if you get a hankering to go for it and put that Leopard on a Hyzer and flip it up, it DOES like a little room on the right to go through its motion which could get you in trouble here.
This is spot on. I'd throw my most stable leo. I use it at 15 @ Pier Park in Portland which is very similar to this hole except it narrows at the end.

Hey all, this one is about 350 feet, par 4. Elevation 7800, mountain terrain with either snow or really uneven ground (aka not really roller friendly). Have never encountered anything like this back where I'm from, so I'm curious as to what disc/throw you all would use for this. Any help is much appreciated :)

picture.php

Stalker or SurgeSS...gl....good stability, speed, but somewhat understable, and less likely to flex hard...esp flash is str8 as all heck too

So its a par 4, what does that change

If the hole was labeled as a par 3 would any of you change what you throw? I know tstack10 said there would be a difference in strategy. Why would anyone change strategy just because the hole's par is labeled differently?

The object of golf is to have the lowest amount of throws. I understand that there are times to play safe and make sure you shoot good scores, but changing strategy on attacking a hole just because par is labeled differently? Why not play the hole in order to get the best score possible. Would you lay up on a simple dogleg left hole that is 280' just because it is labeled par 5???

I don't get it :confused:

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but because of the posting on this hole, I ask it here.

I like the idea of using the putter and/or the Buzz -- personally if I had to choose between those two I'd go with the putter (I use a Soft APX) because the Buzz and anything "sharper" adds a dangerous left hook at the end of its flight.

But, if I felt like my drives were on point that day, I'd go with my Pro D XL Elite -- sometimes that thing goes so straight it's as if I couldn't make it turn if I wanted to. I've thrown it almost perfectly straight 300+ feet before -- entirely on accident, usually... But it can be done. Can't say the same about Wraiths, Boss's, etc.

Roadrunners are about the sharpest disc I can get to go straight with 80%+ power, but it's riskier.

Reminds me a lot of 15 @ Pier Park here in Portland, OR kindly referred to as "The Hall of Trees" except it's a 452' par 3 tunnel...I threw my stalker here about 300 or so. So I think I would throw a stalker there maybe hope for a skip off the snow. My new Stalker would skip off butter if it had the chance, it's quite uncanny...hopefully I'd have a shot at an eagle putt.

Blue is 452' red 350? I think...

Last edited:
Whatever disc you choose I would say make sure it is a softer (dx type) of plastic. If you ricochet off a tree it won't go very far off the fairway, making the save shot easier.

Whatever disc you choose I would say make sure it is a softer (dx type) of plastic. If you ricochet off a tree it won't go very far off the fairway, making the save shot easier.
If it's DX it would have to be something newish and stable. Most my seasoned, stable DX plastic likes a little room to move around at first before it locks into it's line.

If the hole was labeled as a par 3 would any of you change what you throw? I know tstack10 said there would be a difference in strategy. Why would anyone change strategy just because the hole's par is labeled differently?

The object of golf is to have the lowest amount of throws. I understand that there are times to play safe and make sure you shoot good scores, but changing strategy on attacking a hole just because par is labeled differently? Why not play the hole in order to get the best score possible. Would you lay up on a simple dogleg left hole that is 280' just because it is labeled par 5???

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but because of the posting on this hole, I ask it here.

I agree. I have a friend says that kind of stuff too. "If I new that was a par 4..."

I think it's some kind of ego thing. They feel the have to birdie the hole.

350' par 4? Is it a straight line from tee to basket?

If so, DX/Pro Roc (would leave short) or DX Teebird (trying to park it). The key is enough snap on a lower line to keep them gliding to the ground, reducing or eliminating the fade.

Beautiful hole!

Best advice in the hole thread, at least for my style of play.

This is an interesting point. I am fairly new to DG but used to play a TON of ball golf when I was younger. A huge mental obstacle is to not let the par of the hole influence your shot decisions. If you are presented with a tough shot, during practice you are supposed to push your comfort zone without doing something too risky and stupid. During competition, you are supposed to stay within your comfort zone unless you want to try to drop strokes due to luck alone.

The other issue is that everyone wants to play for the birdie or eagle if it is possible. Some holes are set up to dangle that bird in front of your face but make you fall flat on it with an errant shot. Like a drivable par-4 with hazards on both sides and no room to bail out. You might split the uprights and land it right next to the basket/hole, but if you are off at all you will plow into a tree very short or go into a hazard/etc. Now you are looking at gaining shots on the hole because you were overly aggressive.

On a short, tight hole like the one pictured, you are going to want to throw twice and play for the par/birdie. If you feel confident throwing a laserbeam all the way up to the basket for an eagle, go ahead and do it.

Damn 5 minute edit limit...

My main point is to focus on the shot at hand and not the par of the hole, or your round score for that matter. Be completely ignorant of score and par. Just always throw the best, smartest shot you can if you are looking to score well. If you are looking to practice tough throws, go for broke on everything.