• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advanced Players: attacking tunnels ~250-300'

Given I never saw IRL I would say my go to would be either my tursas or origin. Slight hyzerflip that stands up and drifts reliably. If I have a double mando closer to the tee I probably go something a bit more understable so I can release it on more hyzer.

Not that I always can execute it but I at least always try to figure out how I can avoid hitting early trees. So on this hole it looks like B is the early miss so I rather get a bit to much hyzer or to left.

This is how I was originally thinking, but now I think part of why I've been cautiously creeping up rather than committing with the Comet is that the hyzerflip feels pretty touchy for this line. Spatially, the baby-anny play w/ something slightly more stable might do better on this specific hole (it's hard to tell in images). I've not tried it since I'm not as comfortable controlling those yet, so a good reason to learn.

I could also commit to a faster hyzerflip w/ a seasoned Buzzz or fairway rather than worrying about finessing it, but the miss on a faster hyzerflip shot could bounce hard off A or B and be in the death brush on either side, often yielding a bogey. In contrast, the slight anny shapes well enough and missing that line might be more likely to yield a recovery shot for par. E.g., the bounce Simon gets would probably get him back for par since it's easier to recover form the brush behind tree B.

Will work on it & report back!

Last edited:
This is how I was originally thinking, but now I think part of why I've been cautiously creeping up rather than committing with the Comet is that the hyzerflip feels pretty touchy for this line. Spatially, the baby-anny play w/ something slightly more stable might do better on this specific hole (it's hard to tell in images). I've not tried it since I'm not as comfortable controlling those yet, so a good reason to learn.

I could also commit to a faster hyzerflip w/ a seasoned Buzzz or fairway rather than worrying about finessing it, but the miss on a faster hyzerflip shot could bounce hard off A or B and be in the death brush on either side, often yielding a bogey. In contrast, the slight anny shapes well enough and missing that line might be more likely to yield a recovery shot for par. E.g., the bounce Simon gets would probably get him back for par since it's easier to recover form the brush behind tree B.

Will work on it & report back!

Yeah I can definietly see that as a good option too, images really dont do reality justice.

We have a short hole at our local course (around 200ft or so), I had cycled through most shot shapes with a putter and mids. One day I said well f* it and I got my most overstable driver. Made it so much easier to just force a big anny that just dumps back hard in the end. The hole has treeline that goest slightly right 20% to 80% of the distance but the right side is fairly straight but the tunnel is semi narrow.

So I can see how your situation could be similar that a forced s shape could be a easier option to execute reliably.

How do you feel about using FH for tunnel shots? Local 1000+ rated guy I am friends with swears by using FH for tunnels. Removes the psychological element of turning away and being able to look at the target the whole time. Also easier to keep it low if height comes into play. Definitely helped me out

Whatever hits the gap. I'm more comfortable with FH as well, but I'm a FH-dominant player.

You should be able to ignore the trees with the BH and just say "I'm going to throw my frisbee there" and do it, and you should have a frisbee that flies straight for 250'.

I used to throw the straightest, slowest thing I could down the tunnel. I just recently started discing up to a slightly understable mold and doing a standstill, fan grip, approach style toss. So for a 250' tunnel instead of an Envy I would throw a standstill Roc/Kaxe. For 300' instead of the Roc I would toss a DX Teebird.

I am finding that a 85% power standstill has much better release accuracy than a 95% power full runup.

My normal strategy for these types of holes is a hyzer flip with a comet. A 300' tight line on a drive might get me throwing a maverick.

One very important thing to remember, is that a 220' throw on a 250' tight wooded hole is going to get you a c1 look. And in the tight woods, getting greens in regulation is incredibly important to scoring well. So don't necessarily lock in on the distance to the pin - look to throw the best shot you can and get a look for a putt.

For me that's a light 158ish cosmic N insanity at 300' FH or BH on a fairly flat release, im getting close to max power at maybe 350' if I'm lucky. 200' is a comet or hex, the hex gets less airplay... anything in between is a relay on a small hyzer flip.

Yep. Something lighter and flippier all the time. Beat in craves and hexes for life

For 200' I would be throwing a Pig backhand or a forehand Buzzz, but at 250' plus I would be throwing a backhand Buzzz.

For tunnel shots with no height concern, use a putter with appropriate stability (enough to release on slight hyzer and flip to flat). For tunnel shots with a low ceiling, use a high glide neutral mid (Buzzz, Mako3, etc) and flip to flat. For me, pushing to 300' and beyond with a putter requires a lot of height on the disc.

Latest posts