• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advanced Players: attacking tunnels ~250-300'

Brychanus

* Ace Member *
Hi all, Q for advanced players. I've been working a lot on form and it's become different enough now that it might imply different choices for shots & discs. Specifically, I used to try to throw literally flat/close to flat for a lot of shots. With form changes, I'm developing a more powerful & natural slight hyzer release angle and want to start working it into my game.

I'm curious how you all attack fairly tight tunnels in the 250-300' range, which pop up frequently in my area. I'm talking about those that have maybe 20' gaps halfway down the fairway and not a ton of height to work with. Players tend to point out that trying to throw "true flat" is fraught/error prone since releasing exactly flat is improbable, and a couple degrees either way can be big trouble. Historically, I usually aim to split these holes in half with a putter/mid and play for par, but I'd like to work up to a place where I have a better chance at a birdie sometimes.

For reference, I can reach ~400' on a slight hyzerflip driver shot on a good pull w/ neutral discs in high 160s. In the 250-300' range I tend to throw 170s to max-weight mids a lot, but usually close to flat with mixed success in tight conditions. So rather than trying to throw those with a potentially big error range, I'm wondering if I should be going for the hyzerflips (or whatever else). If so, any specific disc/practice tips to get started are appreciated!

I throw a Luna with hyzer towards the left side of the gap, allowing the disc to flip up and turn a bit. This way the majority of the flight stays within the gap. Begins at the right side, moves a bit right (towards the center of the gap) as it flips up, flies through the gap and lands softly/fades.

If I need more distance, I'll do the same thing with a roc3 or undertaker.

Not an advance player. If I was, getting a throwing putter out to 300 feet, would be well within my reach.

250-270 I currently use a neutral putter/mid with little fade, thrown flat with practice, I would be hitting the pure line. 270 to 300, I need a neutral to less stable fairway on a hyzer flip.

All RHBH:

Hyzer (especially) or anhyzer depending upon where the disc needs to land. A flat disc has a width of X and that same disc on an angle has a "smaller" diameter. For shots that need to go right I'll typically go with a neutral to understable mid hyzerflip, using less spin (turns more, fades more). It shouldn't start turning until after the gap. Straighter shots I'd do the same but increase spin (turns less, fades less). Shots that need to end right gets more complicated...I'd typically power up a neutral putter on a hyzer release. If I can't reach with a putter I may still throw a neutral mid on a steep hyzer depending upon how far right I need to go. Hyzer or flat with something overstable may fade too early and cause you trouble. If you're confident an anhyzer overstable mid flex shot can also work - fading after the tunnel.

Have any specific holes you could point us to an an example?

Last edited:
High glide mid ranges is the answer. You have to throw putters too hard and then it is hard to keep the height down and also get the glide you need to reach the basket.

If it's 275-300, I'm just throwing a buzzz and trying to throw it dead straight. I'd have to throw a putter too hard, and I'd worry that I might flip it too far. I can't throw a fairway with much hyzer because the shot isn't far enough to put much on it (maybe I slightly hyzer-flip a heat or leopard3 if I had to, but my buzzz is a lot more consistent).

Either that or I'm going to forehand something I know I throw really straight (for me, not being a forehand player much, that's a halo star shryke which I can throw right about that distance). I throw a little more accurately in those situations where I can see the gap.

For me that's a light 158ish cosmic N insanity at 300' FH or BH on a fairly flat release, im getting close to max power at maybe 350' if I'm lucky. 200' is a comet or hex, the hex gets less airplay... anything in between is a relay on a small hyzer flip.

I'm by no means advanced, but I outplay my rating for these kinds of shots.

I like to throw something understable on hyzer. My safe play is probably a Sol. If I'm feeling really confident and have one in my bag, I'll throw something like a DX Beast.

I'm not "advanced" but at 250' I'm throwing a neutral putter (judge or beat up Envy) and aiming down the left side of the tunnel just like drk_evns said in post #3. At 300' I'm doing the same thing but with a neutral fairway driver (Pipeline).
Depending on just how low the ceiling is, I will sometimes disc up a speed class (like from a putter to a mid) because it's easier to throw faster discs at a lower height. And depending on how narrow the tunnel is, I will sometimes disc down a speed class because it's easier to throw slower discs straight. If it's incredibly narrow and with a super low ceiling, then I'm probably just laying up and playing for par; those are the sorts of holes that balloon into large numbers if I get too aggressive.

I throw a slight hyzerflip with a slightly understable putter.

I also feel really consistent releasing flat and flipping those over slightly from left to right especially in higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On tight gauntlet shots I typically throw a hyzerflip with a flippy disc and choose FH or BH depending on which side of the fairway I think has worse rough. For disc it would either be a Buzzz (BH), Panther (FH), Leo3, or rarely a super flippy Valkyrie. Just depending on what feels more appropriate for the shot.

If there is a super tight gap off the tee I prefer to throw a hyzer-flip to make the gap as large as possible. Although if it there is a long tunnel that I don't have the room to drift left or right down the fairway, I like to throw a slightly overstable disc on a baby anhyzer, while focusing on pulling thru in a straight line. This shot will usually hold super straight for a long period of time, but if it doesn't hit the ground flat, it will hyzer out a bit at the end.

Hyzerflip gives the major advantage that the plane of release is more inline with lane of play. Think about it in vectors. Flat release require more precise release between left and right...factoring in a bit to much of either hyzer or anny and you are way off line.

Hyzer release tilt the vector of release making it less prone to miss left or right or turning to much to quick. Height can instead be more of an issue but you should be more often on the fairway

First, know your miss. Plan your shot so that if you do mess up, you can mitigate the damage. Tunnel shots for me, I'd rather miss to the left side of the tunnel than the right side of the tunnel. If I'm in the sh!t, I do better with a forehand than a backhand and its easier for me to get out if I'm on the left. Because of this I will tend to select a disc that won't turn over too much.

For the actual shot. A hyzer flip is easier to keep on a straight line to me so I will tend to throw an understable mid on a hyzer and let it flip and ride from there.

Hi all, Q for advanced players. I've been working a lot on form and it's become different enough now that it might imply different choices for shots & discs. Specifically, I used to try to throw literally flat/close to flat for a lot of shots. With form changes, I'm developing a more powerful & natural slight hyzer release angle and want to start working it into my game.

I'm curious how you all attack fairly tight tunnels in the 250-300' range, which pop up frequently in my area. I'm talking about those that have maybe 20' gaps halfway down the fairway and not a ton of height to work with. Players tend to point out that trying to throw "true flat" is fraught/error prone since releasing exactly flat is improbable, and a couple degrees either way can be big trouble. Historically, I usually aim to split these holes in half with a putter/mid and play for par, but I'd like to work up to a place where I have a better chance at a birdie sometimes.

For reference, I can reach ~400' on a slight hyzerflip driver shot on a good pull w/ neutral discs in high 160s. In the 250-300' range I tend to throw 170s to max-weight mids a lot, but usually close to flat with mixed success in tight conditions. So rather than trying to throw those with a potentially big error range, I'm wondering if I should be going for the hyzerflips (or whatever else). If so, any specific disc/practice tips to get started are appreciated!

Hyzerflip with an slightly understable putter (at low end of range) or mid (at upper end of the range.

Hmmm I'm in the minority I'm sure but for my tunnels I generally try to keep it straight and flattish. Trying to hit a 20' wide tunnel is a flat Comet.

When I'm throwing my insanity on those it's a touch of anhyzer and I flex a tight S as low as I can so that when it fades it doesn't have height to wander but the skip can get you.

A relay for the same shot is touch of hyzer, and hope that it does the zero fade with very little high speed wander. You also have to hope the hyzer doesn't grab extra air and height. It's a tougher shot for me.

A lighter weight driver is the best way for me to thread tight gaps with a low ceiling. Everything mid ish is lofty and gains air.

I suppose at the 400' power level something like a Hex could be the right rocket for the job. Kinda of a rounded Buzzz feel with the rounded wing, takes power like an Envy but flies further,flatter. With enough spin on a flat line the fade is negligible.

I'm so "advanced" I'm on the receding edge of power haha. I'm maybe 325-350 and I rarely throw a driver over 165g. I know a guy in his 70's that bombs a 143 fission tesla through 20' tunnels dead straight at 250'

Last edited:
Hmmm I'm in the minority I'm sure but for my tunnels I generally try to keep it straight and flattish. Trying to hit a 20' wide tunnel is a flat Comet.

If I could throw flat, I might be with you.

My default and reliable release angle is hyzer. So I try to throw every shot that I can on hyzer and mess with disc selection and nose angle (some people say nose up problem, I say reliable stall hyzer :D ) to try to get discs to go where I want.

I'm not advanced, but watch a lot of advanced players on YouTube lol. MJ is one of the best tunnel throwers of all time, and he just hyzerflps a comet

If I could throw flat, I might be with you.

My default and reliable release angle is hyzer. So I try to throw every shot that I can on hyzer and mess with disc selection and nose angle (some people say nose up problem, I say reliable stall hyzer :D ) to try to get discs to go where I want.

Well the straight and flat swing plane does exist.. But it is limited for distance haha. It can be done, I'm not recommending it, but that's what I developed. It's an arm heavy throw.

I can however thread a needle out to about 300', any distance after that and I need a hyzer pendulum kinda motion. I play all woods golf. I also learned how to throw very stable discs 350' on an anhyzer for the first 10-15yrs to get a straight shot and max distance haha so... again not recommending it.

Latest posts