• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I told a friend to get an FAF Firebird back when they were on the shelf. I was having a ton of success using it as a thumber disc. He bought one, and couldn't flip it over no matter what. It just wouldn't pan out. I could get a nice slow pan for some good d with it, but it was just too much for him.

He still has it, but I've mentioned that I want it. His star FB is a much better disc for him.

I cycle three star firebirds in my bag with all in different stages of wear and stiffness. I have one u forehand with a slight anhyzer and let it perform overstable duties and have two softer ones that I throw flat or with a slight hyzer and get the lovely left to right play and big distance. My question is: where do gstar firebirds fit in? Does the natural added glide of the plastic make it more suitable for that left to right distance shot? Or more so overstable duties?

I am thinking of cycling one of my firebirds out for the winter and try a gstar for cold weather play.

The G*s are really nice. For me they fly more like a predator L shaped flight instead of the usual firebird C flight. You can really pop them out there but they are always gonna fade hard at the end. They are easy to judge distance with and easy to shape a line with even from a standstill. Kind of reminds me of a worn CE bird.

I compared a fairly fresh DX Firebird to a Blizzard Champion Ape the other day in strong headwinds, and I am sorry to say the Ape mopped up the floor with the 'bird. Longer, and straighter: the Firebird (172), flew like a Stingray on a normal day, not flippy, but lots of turn, whereas the Ape (158) flew like a Saint on normal day, straight as an arrow with reliable fade at the end.

I've come to the conclusion, after Roc, Gazelle, Banshee, and now Firebird, that the wind fighting abilities of DX are pretty limited.

I compared a fairly fresh DX Firebird to a Blizzard Champion Ape the other day in strong headwinds, and I am sorry to say the Ape mopped up the floor with the 'bird. Longer, and straighter: the Firebird (172), flew like a Stingray on a normal day, not flippy, but lots of turn, whereas the Ape (158) flew like a Saint on normal day, straight as an arrow with reliable fade at the end.

I've come to the conclusion, after Roc, Gazelle, Banshee, and now Firebird, that the wind fighting abilities of DX are pretty limited.

if theyre fresh there good. well at least banshee and fb.

beyond seasoned there ****ing worthless. the firebird will flip hard then all of a sudden come back for a hard fade. funniest disc to throw

if theyre fresh there good. well at least banshee and fb.

beyond seasoned there ****ing worthless. the firebird will flip hard then all of a sudden come back for a hard fade. funniest disc to throw

Fresh must not last too long :D

it lasts longer than people think. im one of the bigger advocates for dx plastic than most people...

but youll only find d grades for 2 putters in my bag hahaha

I like DX a lot, but I've found it better for glide than wind-fighting; all my DX OS discs turn in wind after a few rounds.

Champion fights wind like a mofo, but I don't like the slippery feel. Star feels slippery to me as well.

I suppose I NEED to try G-Star or something next :)

I like DX a lot, but I've found it better for glide than wind-fighting; all my DX OS discs turn in wind after a few rounds.

Champion fights wind like a mofo, but I don't like the slippery feel. Star feels slippery to me as well.

I suppose I NEED to try G-Star or something next :)

yeah i wouldnt rely on a dx for wind fighting. i like star and champ. gstarrr is just money. plus being in mn like you, gstarrr is great for the winters. that and a flx buzz. perfection

yeah i wouldnt rely on a dx for wind fighting. i like star and champ. gstarrr is just money. plus being in mn like you, gstarrr is great for the winters. that and a flx buzz. perfection

I've felt up a few at the local shop, and G-Star feels like a great winter plastic.

That's typically what happens when you disc up speeds. The faster more overstable disc with tougher plastic is usually longer and less apt to lose it's stability in a headwind.

When you dip below 150 grams....that's when the discing up for headwind logic starts to break down.

Are the factory store stamped GStar Firebirds any different from other stamped GStar fb ?

.. Love my factory store fb, time to put a couple backups in the storage bin / field bag

Changing the topic a little. I just bought a production 12x FB that looks like it is in the JL plastic. Really nice grippy blend of champ and very overstable, not as much as my FAF. It is also pretty flat. Really nice run of Birds.

Are the factory store stamped GStar Firebirds any different from other stamped GStar fb ?

.. Love my factory store fb, time to put a couple backups in the storage bin / field bag

from what i heard theyre the same

no personal experience though

Jelly? Five 150g Firebirds, two in the bag. LL: Thumbers and LR: Flicks. Three perfectly new, ready to be called in.

Also, I buy/hoard 150g Firebirds...inbox me!! :D!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 65
Ugh, tried to edit the above...couldn't. I just way to say I
Love the Firebird. People don't understand how I accomplish what I do with them. It's almost like putting English on the disc.

Last edited:
Changing the topic a little. I just bought a production 12x FB that looks like it is in the JL plastic. Really nice grippy blend of champ and very overstable, not as much as my FAF. It is also pretty flat. Really nice run of Birds.

Yea, they have been out from midsummer I guess... I have two of them, and as you said, nicely grippy, flat and overstable. Thats how I want my Champ FB:s to be. I bag one Star for little less overstable business.

Jelly? Five 150g Firebirds, two in the bag. LL: Thumbers and LR: Flicks. Three perfectly new, ready to be called in.

Also, I buy/hoard 150g Firebirds...inbox me!! :D!!

nice yeah i throw lighter weight chickens too.. anywhere from 155-165 and LOVE them!

Has anyone seen the new run of Star FB's they came out with that are board flat? I got three of them from the pro shop at USDGC and let me tell you these things are beast masters and are amazing. Best Firebirds Ive thrown in a long time.