• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I alone?

mlstivender

Is anyone else finding disc golf courses closed due to coronavirus? I'm new to Columbia, SC and I've found the gates locked until further notice. I thought for sure Disc Golf courses would remain open since its somewhat isolated from huge groups of people. How are the other courses around the country?

Not yet here, the ones around here are more crowded than usual.

Check out the club's Facebook page. Most of the South Carolina clubs (Columbia, Upstate, and Charleston) provide their info on FB. Other than David Sauls, who's a local, everyone on here is talking out of their wrong end and doesn't know the current status of the Columbia courses.

Is anyone else finding disc golf courses closed due to coronavirus? I'm new to Columbia, SC and I've found the gates locked until further notice. I thought for sure Disc Golf courses would remain open since its somewhat isolated from huge groups of people. How are the other courses around the country?

My county's Parks & Recreation closed their various parks's indoor facilities, but so far I'm still able to get out and play disc golf. I'm hoping that will continue, but I fear that the whole nation is going to get a shelter-in-place order, and then we can't go get food much less play DG... :popcorn:

They have closed the beaches here in Tampa so Picnic Island DGC is "technically" closed since two of the baskets are on the beach. Thursday morning I heard them asking people on the park side to leave while I ended my round early. I assume it is the same with Cypress Point DGC since it is behind the same gate for the beach access. I haven't driven over there yet to see for sure.

Our courses are open but all indoor activities and beaches are closed. Leagues are starting to shut down.

Because people in Oregon are testing this like ****ing summer vacation, all Oregon State Parks are closing tonight. Lots of great courses are gonna be off limits including Milo.

Try owens field or crooked creek. Ive played both of those the past week.

I haven't been, but my understanding is that Earlewood is open (just not the building). At any rate, there are no gates there.

There aren't that many courses in Columbia, so if Owens & Southeast are closed, that would constitute "most" courses---or close to it.

…..after that, your options involve hitting getting out of town, a little bit. How far, depends on which side of Columbia you're on.

Check out the club's Facebook page. Most of the South Carolina clubs (Columbia, Upstate, and Charleston) provide their info on FB. Other than David Sauls, who's a local, everyone on here is talking out of their wrong end and doesn't know the current status of the Columbia courses.

Yes, and on the Columbia FB page, just today, is a discussion of copperhead sightings at Earlewood. It seems it's clearly open, or at least available for play. As a bonus, you'll have a chance to die while avoid coronavirus.

Because people in Oregon are testing this like ****ing summer vacation, all Oregon State Parks are closing tonight. Lots of great courses are gonna be off limits including Milo.

Testing? Do you mean treating?

You still got Buxton, Locks Approach and the Hornings 3. You're better off than a lot of players. If WA state's parks are still open, North Bonneville is nice too, and Paradise Point in La Center is tolerable.

Louisiana, now with the fastest rate of C-19 growth in the world, has issued government orders for residents to stay at home.

Last edited:
The "stay home" order for the nearby Kansas City metro area (and the town where I live, which did a CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V of the KC public order an hour later) allows for people to go outside and do exercise and recreational activities, so long as everyone keeps a distance from everyone else. So far the DG courses are open, and I imagine they will continue to be that way unless some mob golfers make a public spectacle of themselves.

Don't ruin it for everyone -- play in small numbers, play discreetly, play sensibly, and we'll get to play all the way through this thing.

I haven't been, but my understanding is that Earlewood is open (just not the building). At any rate, there are no gates there.

There aren't that many courses in Columbia, so if Owens & Southeast are closed, that would constitute "most" courses---or close to it.

Southeast- is locked up tight no entrance marked with a big closing sign until further notice. Owens gates were locked as well.
I played Earlewood Saturday and it was open no gates, but that was one of the mountainous courses I've ever hiked to play. I drove over to Lexington, SC and played a new course Pisgah that wasn't fenced in. The closer I got to the city the more everything was shut down.. I guess I never put two and two together with city/county workers who open the park gates being laid off work during this virus.

In the north of Idaho [near Spokane, WA] parks are still open in general, including courses. The usual precautions are in place [social distancing, play in small groups, and so on]. One park has prohibited "organized events" until May 20th. Most bathrooms are closed because it's still closed for winter, but the local state park that has 5 courses has their "non-flushing" bathroom open.

I haven't played it, but from Facebook activity, people have been playing Owens this weekend. If the gates are locked, I guess people were parking in the lot across the street from Hunter Gatherer. That is just as close to Hole 1 as the regular parking lot.

Southeast- is locked up tight no entrance marked with a big closing sign until further notice. Owens gates were locked as well.
I played Earlewood Saturday and it was open no gates, but that was one of the mountainous courses I've ever hiked to play. I drove over to Lexington, SC and played a new course Pisgah that wasn't fenced in. The closer I got to the city the more everything was shut down.. I guess I never put two and two together with city/county workers who open the park gates being laid off work during this virus.

Sidebar: If Earlewood strikes you as mountainous, wait till your disc golf travels take you more than 30 miles from Columbia, where some of the courses have much bigger hills.

Ive heard you cant get into southeast. I have played owens as of Thursday last week. I played crooked also on wed. I have not made the trip to earlewood yet.