• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Nice job onemilemore. I liked the wrap up. And I fully agree. I am not here to toot my own horn, but the production could have used a bit more experience behind it. I think if they would have contracted someone with some disc golf broadcasting experience some of the issues could have pushed this up to at least a "B" quality stream.

I can't deny that the quality of the cameras was top notch, but the direction/location of them was awful.

Excellent write up. I have not, and will not, ever view this event, but your review seemed fair without being too heavy handed. Not totally objective, but far more fair than I would ever be regarding anything Salient. Well done.

Nice job onemilemore. I liked the wrap up. And I fully agree. I am not here to toot my own horn, but the production could have used a bit more experience behind it. I think if they would have contracted someone with some disc golf broadcasting experience some of the issues could have pushed this up to at least a "B" quality stream.

I can't deny that the quality of the cameras was top notch, but the direction/location of them was awful.

Thank you. And yes, some of the angles really detracted from the viewing experience. I'll be curious to see if they hire a more experienced disc golf crew if/when there is another ADGT event.

Amehrcian Open :clap:

;)

Excellent write up. I have not, and will not, ever view this event, but your review seemed fair without being too heavy handed. Not totally objective, but far more fair than I would ever be regarding anything Salient. Well done.

:thmbup:

Have the scores and payouts been posted anywhere yet? I did not watch live, but do plan on watching the replay when I get a chance.

I find it really bizarre there were no awards for the top am finishers, at the least they should have some trophies made and sent to the top 3.

Have the scores and payouts been posted anywhere yet? I did not watch live, but do plan on watching the replay when I get a chance.

I find it really bizarre there were no awards for the top am finishers, at the least they should have some trophies made and sent to the top 3.

Final scores: https://americandiscgolftour.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Final-scores.pdf

On thier main page, they have this:

Ricky Wysocki takes the first annual American Open at Cobblestone Park. Michael Johansen, Devan Owens and Barry Schultz take 2nd-4th respectively.

Pro Pay Out:
$1057
$771
$563
$411

This tourney looks like bizzaro 80's world - Hooters girls, the 'win the car' shtick, Barry playing and commentating, sort of that unpolished super-hype feel to it, random old guys who put this together to pump a little known company, a half-hearted dream to radically move on from the PDGA and current point system, etc.

To chime in here (been on and off following this thread since I heard about the tour): In regards to the tastefulness of the employment of hooters girls during this event and how out of touch Salient is with disc golfers, I wonder if they had ANY idea that this was the same weekend as the women's global event.

The women's global event is biennial and this was the third iteration. An already established event that takes place all across the world and brings the biggest names in women's disc golf along with other huge names and supporters was simply overlooked by Salient. Then, of course, they brought in hooters girls. JMTC.

To chime in here (been on and off following this thread since I heard about the tour): In regards to the tastefulness of the employment of hooters girls during this event and how out of touch Salient is with disc golfers, I wonder if they had ANY idea that this was the same weekend as the women's global event.

The women's global event is biennial and this was the third iteration. An already established event that takes place all across the world and brings the biggest names in women's disc golf along with other huge names and supporters was simply overlooked by Salient. Then, of course, they brought in hooters girls. JMTC.

They mentioned the WGE. Some say to explain why there were no women in the ADGT

Oh, ok. I didn't watch any of it, I've only seen the screenshots.

So what that means is: they were aware of the WGE and stuck to the hooters girls?

Yes, they did give a healthy promo for the WGE. It was their only intentional on-air mention of the PDGA during the entire telecast, even directing people to PDGA.com for more info about WGE.

I definitely subscribe to the theory that they only mentioned it to explain away the absence of all the top women that they took the time to promote with their profile vignettes. They were so careful not to use "PDGA" at all during the rest of the show (even while referencing the National Tour, World Championships, and Player of the Year awards which are all PDGA "properties"), so to mention it so prominently, they had to have had an ulterior motive.

Another aspect that made it interesting is that they'd made such a big deal of players, and even spectators, dressing appropriately to keep things classy at this country club. In their pleas for spectators, they warned not to wear jeans or tee-shirts. And then....

Thank you. And yes, some of the angles really detracted from the viewing experience. I'll be curious to see if they hire a more experienced disc golf crew if/when there is another ADGT event.

;)

:thmbup:

JV would you and Terry even work with those guys? It would take a lot of upfront cash, and even then I'd be scared of attaching my name to them.

I couldn't watch, did they use any of my clips?

Another aspect that made it interesting is that they'd made such a big deal of players, and even spectators, dressing appropriately to keep things classy at this country club. In their pleas for spectators, they warned not to wear jeans or tee-shirts. And then....

are you trying to say that hooters is not the epitome of class?

Final scores: https://americandiscgolftour.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Final-scores.pdf

Ricky Wysocki takes the first annual American Open at Cobblestone Park. Michael Johansen, Devan Owens and Barry Schultz take 2nd-4th respectively.

Pro Pay Out:
$1057
$771
$563
$411

So after his entry fee, Barry took home $111?

Laughable for what is supposed to be a history making event/tour.

Hopefully he got paid for doing the commentary.

Lets give it up to those youtube media guys who make it look easier than it really is! So unless someone wants to finance their satellite trucks and TV cameras, make sure to support the guys who work hard bringing us instant or next day coverage of disc golf. They hardly get paid anything, and do it with class. Where was Terry Miller while the ADGT was using hooter girls for eye candy? At one of the biggest WGE in santa cruz supporting the growth of our sport as ADGT was displaying our past.

Pro Pay Out:
$1057
$771
$563
$411

Thanks dash, I see it now. I see MJ made it close at the end, would have been great if he could have tied Ricky to force a playoff (did they even have a playoff contingency plan?).

And interesting the baskets were spitting out at the end, Ricky had said earlier that they were catching fine. Too bad nobody hit "a ace" for the Jeep, oh well maybe next year! (They did say "the first annual" so it sounds like they are up for doing it again, which is hard to believe considering all the money they must have lost on this venture).

Still waiting for the published "reflection" from them, it would be "interesting" to see how they spin it.

Latest posts