• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Anode or Ion

Anode or Ion?

• Anode

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Ion

Votes: 49 32.2%
  • Both

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 17 11.2%

• Total voters
I gave up on the Anode. I just like the flight of a broken in Ion a lot better (retains good HSS, loses fade). I was hoping the Anode would fly like the magical, 2nd run, textured, opaque softs but they do not.

I gave up on the Anode. I just like the flight of a broken in Ion a lot better (retains good HSS, loses fade). I was hoping the Anode would fly like the magical, 2nd run, textured, opaque softs but they do not.

Once my Ion was broken in enough, the Anode left the bag. I still think the Anode is a great disc, but that Ion is incredible. If only the new Ion I bought for a freshy in the bag would start to get with the program...

The broken in stage right before the ion develops a puddle top is exactly how i like them.

That's why i have a stack of 10 practice ions that i use on a regular basis in my back yard to keep some close to the ones i have bagged.. they are starting to get to that perfect stage, and as soon as that happens they will all be put in a backup box and i will have to buy 10 more :D rinse and repeat.

I find they only stay at that perfect beat stage before a puddle top creeps in for about 6 months.

I just cant putt with puddle tops... it sits in my hand wrong or something.

@_@

Last edited:
Haha yeah times have changed. I'm using wizards now. But after trying both the ion and anode, I definitely prefer the ion. I've started others using them too. Woohoo!

I carry 2 med proton Ion (one beat) and a soft proton anode. I typically use the ion for putts short to longish and the anode for approaches. I don't know why, but I like the bead when I am close and don't like it too much when I am further out. Up close I don't have any fingers on the inside rim I use contact between the side of my index finger and the bead as my pivot point. When I am out further I have fingers curled around the inside rim and the bead bothers me. I don't know if that is out of the norm, but its how I do.

On the other hand I hit a 100 footer last week with an ion, and it felt really good... I may drop the anode soon.

I can certainly understand why people prefer Ions, however I choose the Anode. I prefer the feel of the Anode in the hand and I appreciate the later fade and better glide. Mostly I drive Neutrons and putt softs.

I've gone back and fourth between both molds and hit great shots with them but still am confused on which to settle for. Their differences are very minimal in regards to putting with only a small difference in the LSS and like many here have pointed out, its the feel which is the most noticeable change between the two.

Discspeed- when was the last time you putted with IONs? Curious how/why you are sticking with Anodes. I feel like you can shape lines better with the ION, specially forced anny and flex shots with straight lazers being the only thing the Anode excels in-- plus a little OATy release on the ION and it flies just as straight. I am thinking about taking IONs out (again) and giving the anode another run really just for fun. I started out with one of each in my bag but that just seemed weird and still wanted 2 of one mold in there.

I am not picky when it comes to my putters I guess. If anyone has a soft anode they want to dump for another MVP hit me up.

Discspeed- when was the last time you putted with IONs? Curious how/why you are sticking with Anodes. I feel like you can shape lines better with the ION, specially forced anny and flex shots with straight lazers being the only thing the Anode excels in-- plus a little OATy release on the ION and it flies just as straight. I am thinking about taking IONs out (again) and giving the anode another run really just for fun. I started out with one of each in my bag but that just seemed weird and still wanted 2 of one mold in there.

I've always got some Ions in my practice putter stack. With my spin/push hybrid putt the Ion drops faster/glides less. It also has a dumpy fade compared to the forward push of the Anode. The Anode is every bit as versatile as the Ion...I use them for hyzers, flat shots, and anhyzers. They can also do flex shots once you get a feel for them (some Anodes have more fade than others, I like high shouldered/slightly domey ones for this).

As far as OAT is concerned I find the Anode MUCH more forgiving than the Ion. A big bead makes it tougher for a disc to get back on axis. I often see a micro amount of OAT on my Anode shots (esp FH) that immediately iron out to a smooth spin. I don't want to use OAT for a straight drive...If I throw too hard with OAT things can go wrong in a hurry.

Yeah I guess "better" lines is a bad way to put it but say more exaggerated lines with the ION?! and can see where that is not always a good thing specially when it comes to putting OAT on the disc, ive def. had a few "go wrong in a hurry" in that sense but find the extra glide in the anode to be just as much of a problem ranging in up-shots/longer putts which seem to "fly-by" much easier than my Ions.

yeah my black N has a bit more LSS than my flat protons. I believe Discspeed said before he even had a anode for headwinds. Like I stated above I think ION gives a more exaggerated line (which should be the case with a bead) where the anode excels at being truly straight.

They are clearly both great discs. It's personal preference and throwing styles. I use anodes and find I can get them do do anything I want even In higher winds. When the ion was off a little it punishes a lot. I like the anode because its less picky in release angles.

Anodes flex back. Not all anodes but i have a domey n anode that will flex very nicely.

Mine will flex a bit, but not near as much. Can't get too carried away. My p anode is slightly puddled at this point though. Maybe I will try picking up a new n anode, because I do like the feel in the hand.

The Ion can't turn right just a little (rhbh), nor can it really go straight (assuming a clean throw) on shorter shots. It's just not as versatile under 250'. Just to reiterate I do like Ions and I understand why some prefer them.

The Ion can't turn right just a little (rhbh), nor can it really go straight (assuming a clean throw) on shorter shots. It's just not as versatile under 250'. Just to reiterate I do like Ions and I understand why some prefer them.

Not sure I agree with this from my perspective. My old early run Ion (with the mismolded bead) can definitely turn right just a little and go straight and my well worn Proton Ion (transparent "candy" plastic) is arguably too straight since it's supposed to be the overstable complement to the other Ion. They both seem easier to do those lines than my Anodes did.

Maybe the hiccup is from the fact that even on shorter holes I throw them pretty hard (not farther; you assuredly throw farther/better than I do probably) rather than trying to finesse and glide them to the basket like you would a traditional putter. Even still, the Anodes seemed more nose angle sensitive and made throwing that way a little trickier than Ions to me as well.

Edit: I've still yet to try any neutron versions of either though.

Its all about the bead for me, it fits my hand digits perfectly and acts as a guide or notch that allows me to throw consistently.. if that notch wasn't there i wouldn't feel like my grip was consistent or the disc would feel "naked" in a sense, as if i didn't have something to hold onto.. something that i have developed over time throwing mainly beaded putters.

Lol, it sounds goofy but the Ion feels like i can control and "feel" when im trying to make accurate putts.

dat secksy feel :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They both suck for putting. Anode flies well for upshots and driving, though.

Latest posts