• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Anode or Ion

Anode or Ion?

• Anode

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Ion

Votes: 49 32.2%
  • Both

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 17 11.2%

• Total voters
I have yet to ever find a putter that "sucks" at putting.. RIP discs, ching juju, innova birdie, floppy putters from DGA-- they all work.

The Ion can't turn right just a little (rhbh), nor can it really go straight (assuming a clean throw) on shorter shots. It's just not as versatile under 250'. Just to reiterate I do like Ions and I understand why some prefer them.

Not sure I agree with this from my perspective. My old early run Ion (with the mismolded bead) can definitely turn right just a little and go straight and my well worn Proton Ion (transparent "candy" plastic) is arguably too straight since it's supposed to be the overstable complement to the other Ion. They both seem easier to do those lines than my Anodes did.

Maybe the hiccup is from the fact that even on shorter holes I throw them pretty hard (not farther; you assuredly throw farther/better than I do probably) rather than trying to finesse and glide them to the basket like you would a traditional putter. Even still, the Anodes seemed more nose angle sensitive and made throwing that way a little trickier than Ions to me as well.

Edit: I've still yet to try any neutron versions of either though.

I was only talking about Ions that you can buy at the store today. Early Ions were a different animal altogether. The Anode is definitely more nose angle sensitive and I use that to my advantage...Though I throw the Anode for 2/3 of my golf strokes so that grants me a certain familiarity.

I voted Anode, when Discspeed switched putters I bought one and I find it more forgiving and straighter flying than the Ion for a range of small release errors. The Anode seems more traditional in its flight and makes a tight S better for me. If I have space for 3 or 4 putters I will carry an Ion for more extreme lines like AFTC said, or longer powered up lasers but at my power level with putters (<200') they are too similar to carry both. I've gotta learn a walkup or x step one of these days.

I agree with BrotherDave on that, I'm a short player and I can shape those shots with an Ion but maybe that's because I'm not throwing them 250+.

I have yet to ever find a putter that "sucks" at putting.. RIP discs, ching juju, innova birdie, floppy putters from DGA-- they all work.

They all work, but not all putters are created equally. I experience far more cut-throughs and pole bounces with premium plastic putters, which Ions and Anodes are, than any other.

I've had good results from my soft Ions and Anodes. Putted with Neutron Anodes for a while and they did alright too.

Anode is what I was using.. But thinking about switching. Gonna pick up a new Neutron Anode next week I think and see if I can putt with it..

I was only talking about Ions that you can buy at the store today. Early Ions were a different animal altogether. The Anode is definitely more nose angle sensitive and I use that to my advantage...Though I throw the Anode for 2/3 of my golf strokes so that grants me a certain familiarity.

I'm pretty sure my proton Ion you can still buy at the store today.

(they seriously need to make some small bead Ions though)

I just got a Glow Proton Anode. I originally voted for the Ion in this thread but after getting my Anode it is my go to driving putter. This is a huge deal for me b/c my bag is currently all Innova & Discmania. I've tried other MVP discs but they never made my bag. The Anode is the first MVP disc to be in my bag longer than just testing discs out.

They all work, but not all putters are created equally. I experience far more cut-throughs and pole bounces with premium plastic putters, which Ions and Anodes are, than any other.

This is true to a point. Baseline plastic has more friction against objects it comes into contact...but it certainly is not a large difference. I think really stiff baseline have similar issues as well, yet many high ranking players use them.

With the soft MVP putters I get a spring off my fingers that I've never had with any other putter. I am a straddle putter, so I don't have a powerful weight shift to push the disc to the basket. My Anode does more for the effort I give it than anything else.

Latest posts