• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another way to mark your disc?

There is this one guy who marks his discs with his wife's name and his cell phone. He figures people will call if it's a female's disc.:thmbup:

Marking discs......

I originally, for the first few years playing, put just my first name with area code and phone number on the inside of the rim. Lately, like some others on the site, I haven't been marking them at all. If I lost it and didn't put enough time in to find it, I'm not gonna feel bad if it goes to someone else. I find that I feel better about losing an unmarked disc if I tell myself that the person who finds it is a well-deserving, underprivileged orphan, someone that, without my unmarked disc, would be unable to to enjoy our wonderful sport!

That is a pretty good idea, I know a lot of people rather not call a stranger. I however send a text message to the owners of discs I find, and usually leave the disc at the front gate for them. But if some people don't know about texts or even have it, I'm sure they would feel better shooting out an email instead. I'm going to start this.

I've recently stopped inking my discs altogether. It doesn't matter what's on the disc though. If it's a number, I'll call. An email address, I'll send an email. Even if it's just a name I'll do a quick fb search to see what I can do. I've never really thought to add my email, but do whatever gets your disc back.

I haven't been marking them at all. If I lost it and didn't put enough time in to find it, I'm not gonna feel bad if it goes to someone else.

This exactly. If you walk away from a disc, you're giving it to the course and subsequently to the finder of said disc. I never mark discs anymore because I don't expect them back. If it was that important I would have never given up the hunt. In fact, I have a buddy who now writes 'finders keepers' on his.

I don't always expect to get my discs back, but I lose them often enough that the quarter or third of them that do get returned to me are well worth the effort of marking them. I think about it this way: a minute or two at most to write my contact info. on a disc is worth at least the $16/4 for a Star plastic disc, such as the TL that was just found at a course, in the fairway no less, after being lost for over a month. Sometimes your discs end up in spots where only luck will find them, unless you've got a weed whacker and the rest of the afternoon to burn. In terms of return on my investment of time, I'd rather spend a few moments on every disc in order to get a few back, than hours on every lost disc to get a greater share back. If you break it down as an economic decision, marking your discs competes pretty well. And it also creates opportunities to meet new people. :)

I like the idea of marking discs with the email because most people don't feel comfortable with calling strangers. Personally, I just mark the rims of my discs with my name and cell #. I'm not to that point where I can lose a disc and not be phased about it...which means some long hunts every now and then.

I actually own a Star Destroyer that is marked with Dave Feldbergs info, bought it from a store in MN, and had never heard of him (before I started on this website)

Amuses me now. Still don't really have the arm to throw it.

"Return for a free beer", along with phone #, and nickname

I get all my discs back.

I mark my name and phone number on my discs. The problem is I have custom dyes done on all of mine, I don't really expect to get it back.

My discs are equipped with a finger print analyzer. If your not me then the disc detects that and explodes blowing your arm off.

Latest posts