• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else thumb a putter for an approach?

SSquirrel

Double Eagle Member
So I brought this up in another thread recently and got a pretty surprised response from Depster. Does anyone else out there thumb a putter for an approach shot on a regular basis? I was new to playing last year and the thumber was going well for me. Since I only had 4 discs, I was curious what the Magnet I had would do. The answer was that it would flip upside down for a perfect pancake landing and slide to the right as it was heading down. Parks it rather nicely usually if I'm within 100'. Unless I completely bork my throw, which certainly happens heh.

Does anyone else do this and if so, what putter works best for it? Magnet, Lock and Wizard all 3 pancake for me, but only the Magnet flies understable like this. Warlock and Wizard both drift OS.

I'm sure I'll get people telling me to learn to putt normally from that far out, but I'm still working on other parts of my game right now. I have this toss down pretty well already, so I'll let it do what it does for me for now :)

I have a friend that likes to "Thumb" approach shots on a regular basis. I think he uses a mid though, not a putter.

I don't do it regularly, but I do it to get out of trouble with a magnet. One of my favorite shots when it goes in!

One thing this game has taught me is: use whatever works for you.
I only throw overhead when that's all my lie presents me - I don't seem to get much control on them and feel I'm leaving the resulting lie up to chance, as I personally have little if any idea of where they're gonna land. Can't imagine using them on open approach shots, but that's just me. Guess I play my game "in the box" rather than outside it, but if someone can get consistent results throwing overhand approaches, more power to them.

Playing doubles once, was stuck in a bush 75' from the basket. Only line available was a thumber. Put a wizard up on edge, and it rolled under the basket, like a boss.

Other than that, I'm 99% RHBH.

I use an understable soft magnet for a pancake shot from a tomahawk if i am within 50' of the basket and have obstructions that i need to throw over. I use a beat in XD from 50' to 100' for the same type of shot because it stays vertical for most of the flight, allowing me to hit tight windows. It then flattens without much drift to land upside down. Both are very handy to save 3's after a less-than-perfect drive got me "near" the basket and in the trees.

I use my soft magnet and throw thumb rollers for approaches and rescue shots.

Rarely use a thumber grip, but i throw tomahawk/pancake variations a lot w/ a putter

Last edited:
Tommy and Thumber Putters

Threw 2 aces with a Thumber putter . First one was when I was following the League Night Crew ( hadn't started playing with them , they all walked back from tee box to see who threw it ) , and the second one was last League Night of the year worth $86 ! Paid for the tourney and gas on the following weekend !

They still wonder why I use a putter for Thumbers and Tommies , but sometimes they do skip too far .

I almost always lay up overhand with a floppy wizard. Growing up playing DeLa, it's the best way to approach those speedy, slopped, brutal greens.

I'll thumb my putter when I'm walking to my actual lie or the next tee box, never used it for a shot though. Just like to sit back and watch it fly sometimes. :)

Rarely use a thumber grip, but i throw tomahawk/pancake variations a lot w/ a putter

This. Generally my first option when in the woods to the right...which is often.

I also agree that it's tougher to control as a "thumber" than a "tomahawk" grip. For the same shot from the left, I usually work a little anny/panny flick with the Rhyno.

Latest posts