• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone highly offended by the term frolf?

Someone has probably mentioned this already, but if it was good enough for Seinfeld, then it's good enough for me! lol But really, if somebody doesn't know anything about our little sport in the first place, then they wouldn't even know to call if frolf. And we as dger's, being more highly evolved, would NEVER use such a silly term!

A long time ago I was playing poorly at an out of town course with a local, and he told me my game was suffering because I had called it "frisbee golf". It has been disc golf for me ever since, even if it didn't make my game any better.

I have never used the term "frolf", and I don't think I have ever heard someone else use it negatively.

Frisbee golf doesnt bother me, but it is misleading to those unfamiliar with the sport.

If I throw a frisbee hard and it hits you, You might turn to me and laugh.

If I throw my driver at you hard an it hits you, you might turn to me and say "I am bleeding severely and I need stitches"

roflmfao

on a side note the term "frolfing" does not offend me, I used it for awhile when I first started playing. I prefer the term "disk'n" now, though thats still very informal and may agitate some of u guys:popcorn:

It doesn't bother me. I prefer disc golf, but my wife, uses frolf all the time. In fact she just emailed me from work to say she wanted to come home to go frolfing.

Who cares really what its called. Maybe Frolf is the way to go. It sounds somewhat disgusting, like someone is wretching. So if the name turns some folks off then less people on the course and that's just fine with me.

I recently watched the movie "Solitary Man", at the 13 minute mark a scene somewhat similar to the Seinfeld episode is in it. On campus a stray drive comes close to Michael Douglas and his daughter,
they pick up the driver and a dude explains he is "frofling". I'm surprised that I never heard this scene mentioned before. BTW, I dislike the term, I call it disc golf when amongst golfers and frisbee golf when around the general public.

i can't stand the word frolf either.. i use the term discing thats it except when im talking to someone that has no idea what disc golf is than i have to say frisbee golf and they get it.

Up North here there are less frolfers per capita and demographically more than 10x less disc golf courses per square kilometer than in the States. If someone knows enough to call it frolf, it's actually a good thing. I also accept frisbee golf, I'll take ball golf being called real golf, I'll take weird. As long as I can have it.

That said, I do take opportunities presented by people demonstrating a modicum of interest to explain why it's _like_ frisbee golf, but isn't frisbee golf. Gotta start somewhere.

What really gets me is hockey being called 'Ice Hockey'. Like anyone cares about any other kind, haha.

K.

I'm offended by genocide, capital gains tax and Sarah Palin. Frolf...not so much. It's about like calling basketball "hoops", or soccer "futball".

Frisbee golf doesnt bother me, but it is misleading to those unfamiliar with the sport.

Actualy, it isnt.

Most people still think "frisbee" when they see our discs. Only the nerdier of us know the entire background story with the frisbee pies and the flying disc trademarket as "frisbee".

If you tell them frisbee golf, they understand. If you tell them disc golf, you could mean discuses just as well.

It's a little misleading, but not much.

They are frisbee type discs. Just smaller and, at times, heavier. Shape means nothing to the new people. Let them play a while and sprinkle disc golf stuff in. They'll get it sooner or later, or lose interest.

Calling it "frolf" annoys me to no end. Then again, I'm a loser who takes the game too seriously.

I understand others' use of frolf and frisbee golf as related, synonymous terms for disc golf popularized either by regional use or lack of familiarity with the established sport and its governing body. To me, it's almost like how the terms internet & world wide web are mistakenly used interchangeably or even when concrete & cement are confused for one another as was described in this post: people still understand what's being described despite the lack of correct or preferred terminology.

With that said, frolf and frolfing do sound funny to me because I have never been in the habit of using those terms and also due to their association with the "Summer of George" Seinfeld episode. I'm more accepting of frisbee golf's usage since I grew up throwing Frisbees at neighborhood trees and trashcans before graduating to discs and pole hole targets; plus, that term serves to best describe to those outside the sport what I do with my bag of "Frisbee-looking" discs.

What amuses me is the spelling on signage at Fritz Park in Irving, TX which dates back to 1984 and is still visible today: "Disk Golf Course".