• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Attn Lat 64 lovers (opinion thread)

I now have a new favorite disc golf company.

First off, I was hesitant to try Latitude 64. When I started, I knew that the "big" name companies were Innova and Discraft, and like a noob I figured that because they were the "biggest" names this was also synonymous with the "best". I couldn't have been more wrong, and I regret that misperception greatly, because it stalled me from discovering this amazing brand.

I first received my 178g GL Core about a week ago. This disc immediately impressed me, both in quality of the disc, and also the flight and feel of the rim. Since I liked this disc so much, I decided to try out a domey 175g GL Halo and 174g Opto Striker. I chose the Halo because I don't like the Boss at all, but throw Destroyers on shots >400', and this disc was described as having a rim reminiscent of a Destroyer rather than a Boss even though it is as fast as the later. The Striker was chosen because it was characterized as a Teebird/TL-ish disc, and since the Teebird is my main driver (anything under 400') I decided to give it a shot also.

I received both today, and immediately headed out to the local course which luckily has a few absolute bomb shot where I could really stretch my arms. First shot was on a slight downhill hole that measures ~450' and the Halo was brought out to test the waters. I usually use a Star TL on this hole, but I couldn't wait to try the new plastic. Holy crap was the term that myself and my two friends that were with me said as the disc launched....the disc stayed about 8-10' off the ground the entire flight, had a beautiful, slow, slight-right HST, and then came back left with a pretty good amount of fade. The disc was luckily caught by the trees to the left of the basket, still ~8' off the ground, since the Halo was just starting to fade. Amazing disc, and I didn't throw it nearly as hard as possible. The best was to describe the flight of this disc is that it flies like a destroyer is advertised to fly.

Next up on the same hole was the Striker. The disc also was about 8-10', with a little bit more HST than the Halo and a little less power, but with a pretty good fade on the end as well. It was stopped by trees about 10' to the right of the basket about 4' from the ground. Absolutely great disc, very EX-ish as was described by another poster.

So, as of today I have removed my Star and Champion Destroyers from my bag, as well as the Force and any other warp speed, "reach-out-and-touch-you" disc, and have replaced them with the Halo. All the other shot that were in which this disc was used were almost complete replicas other prior, which is something that I have been desperately searching for in a HS driver. The Destroyer is a great disc, but not nearly as consistent with every throw as the Halo. In addition, one of my friends that played with me today (and is heading to the Amateur World Doubles Championships tomorrow.... good luck Robbie and Pete) threw the disc, and immediately turned to me and said, "I need to get two of those....now." The Striker is in the bag also, as a compliment to the 2 other Teebirds that already reside there; I just need to find exactly which disc would perform better on certain holes.

If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these discs up, get off the fence and buy one; you will not be disappointed at all.

Do it....Do it....Do it....

Just took an Opto Striker out for a test flight yesterday. Wow! Love it. Seems like longer Eagle-X, nice gentle s-curves flight. Seemed very predictable and a bit forgiving.

Went to Disc Nation in Austin and bought a Vision yesterday after it impressed me in the try-out throws there in the field out back. Used it today, and WOW! For me it is a winner. Great feel. Very straight. Really held it's own in the wind. It is just a nice disc. I thought I wanted a Striker, but the Vision just clicked with me.

How does the Halo compare to a Echo Star Boss? Similar? Tad less stable? Halo VS Nuke?

Can't say how anything about the Echo Star Boss since I haven't thrown one. The Halo is a little bit shorter (10-20') than the Nuke when comparing distance, but the Halo is also easier to control. For my drives, the Nuke is best thrown bout 6-10 feet off the ground; any higher and it seems to stall and fall short. The Halo is more forgiving in terms of height, and the GL seems a little bit (just a small bit) less stable than the Nuke.

I have been throwing a 175g GL Halo, and this is what I have been using for my comparison to the Nuke (first run, 174g). I have recently acquired a 173g Opto Halo; the Opto Halos are known to be better performers in terms of glide, workability, and distance than their GL brethren. I'm going to work with it more this week, and I will throw the Nuke alongside it on every drive it is used on, so I will give you a better review once I'm more accustomed to it.

i got an 168 opto halo yesterday and its pretty sick. this disc in particular is the most gummy opto line ive ever felt. and someone said it right, the halo flies like a destroyer should

Just wanted to throw out another positive comment about the Halo and say that my GL 171g is my primary driver I use now and find it way more consistent and forgiving, as already said, than it's competitors in the same class. Love this disc and will be considering a second, heavier one to replace my ESP FLX Surge (175g).

Just took an Opto Striker out for a test flight yesterday. Wow! Love it. Seems like longer Eagle-X, nice gentle s-curves flight. Seemed very predictable and a bit forgiving.

I should note that this one was domey...I picked up couple more and one of them is flat. I'll be curious to see how much more stable it is.

My Gold Line visions are the best long right fading discs ever. I almost cried when i put too much of a snap on it, turned it over, and it rolled into the water today. Took me probly an hour to get that out...but it was DEFINATLY worth getting back....And it was worth having to come home and take a shower, because my arms smelled from that gross water.

My Gold Line visions are the best long right fading discs ever. I almost cried when i put too much of a snap on it, turned it over, and it rolled into the water today. Took me probly an hour to get that out...but it was DEFINATLY worth getting back....And it was worth having to come home and take a shower, because my arms smelled from that gross water.

I have one also and refuse to leave or lose it on any course!

I have one also and refuse to leave or lose it on any course!

Ive got two of them, but they are just too awesome......lol. It was only out about 10 feet, so i got it close with a stick. After that it was all muddy and gross, and i had to poke around with a stick for awhile. Slowly i moved it closer and closer. When i could not find it i just stuck my arms in there for like 4 mins searching for it in the mud, and i found it! I was so happy...... when i lost a beast 3 holes later i dident even care!

ok but seriously more people need a Blitz, i got one maybe 3 weeks back because i loved the way it felt, and i've gotta say, if latitude had made nothing else but the blitz, i would still be happy with them as a company. i have an opto 174 and i would say it's the boss if the boss felt better was faster and maybe a little beefier. it does have that slanted rim that so many people complain about, but just grip it harder and boom it's like your arm fell off and grew a cannon.

I have a question. I just got some Lat 64 discs and love them. I dont have a big arm and have truble geting good D. I get about 350 on a good day with a ValK, champ. 175. I am going to get the River and I'm curiose about the Vision. I tend to throw less stable discs but they can get flipy or inconsistent. I stopped at the Valk because it works for me. I play with Culinarywiz and he tends to get 400-450. I cant get that kind of D but a litle bit would help. Is the Vision too flipy? I have tried the Surge and its to over stable for me. any info would help. Thanx

I have a question. I just got some Lat 64 discs and love them. I dont have a big arm and have truble geting good D. I get about 350 on a good day with a ValK, champ. 175. I am going to get the River and I'm curiose about the Vision. I tend to throw less stable discs but they can get flipy or inconsistent. I stopped at the Valk because it works for me. I play with Culinarywiz and he tends to get 400-450. I cant get that kind of D but a litle bit would help. Is the Vision too flipy? I have tried the Surge and its to over stable for me. any info would help. Thanx

I personally haven't thrown a Vision yet, but from what I've heard it should be more flippy than a 175g Champ Valkyrie. If you are able to turn your Valk over on big distance throws, the Vision will probably be harder to control due to it wanting to turn even more.

The Vision seems to be a sweet disc for people in the 300' range.

^that...unless you stumble across one of the more stable Visions, then they're like a more consistent Beast.

Got my first lat. 64 discs 2 weeks ago. Opto river, opto striker, and gold fuse.

Opto River- Love it, flys forever and pretty effortlessly as well.

Opto Striker- Have not had my best throw with this one yet, I havnt really put it on the line. My beast and teebirds always call to me. Need to go out one day without some of my main discs and get use to this one. I do know you have to put some ass behind it to get it to go.

Gold fuse- fav. disc from them so far. Thing will hold a line seemingly forever. I dont have to throw it very, love this thing. As far as mid range is concerned, I think I'm pretty good with this and a roc.

I've never thrown it, but I've heard that it's pretty much lat64's Roadrunner. I throw a champ 171 valk and my other main driver would be my star 164 roadrunner. The roadrunner for me at least doesn't turn to hard so the vision might not be bad. I love my roadrunner for big anhyzers and long slight hyzers that it can just hold and turn back a bit on. Might be best to just wait and see if someone else you know grabs one and try it out then if you think it could be too flippy for you.

Latest posts