• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

The course designer for this course is Simpsonville, SC just posted his biased review.

Other thoughts: Have not see something like this..

Looking at the pictures, there's a reason you won't see anything like this on a bona fide disc golf course. It looks like nothing but a gimmick layout. Maybe the kids who play there will like it.

Maybe it could actually be a fun/different/amusing kind of course. I figure that I would have fun once or twice around... maybe more.

But, coming from someone who has installed a couple small course, I don't understand ratings inflation. It just makes no sense to me at all. Based upon the pics and other info., I certainly don't see the course being able to justify the "4" rating.

I guess if someone sees a new "4" rated course they'd probably want to check it out, only to be sorely disappointed and probably ticked off. Of course, if you're only looking at the rating and not the other available info., then that's on you.

Hopefully this doesn't end up one of the courses where someone plays it and reviews it fairly only to be called out by the designer.

The course designer for this course is Simpsonville, SC just posted his biased review.

Looking at the pictures, there's a reason you won't see anything like this on a bona fide disc golf course. It looks like nothing but a gimmick layout. Maybe the kids who play there will like it.

"Have not see something like this.."

He's not wrong. What in the world is this?
9216beec.jpg

You guize are all too harsh.
I'm sure it's at least a 3.7895.

9216beec.jpg
They should string a rope across the top of all the posts, and make it a Mando you gotta go under the rope, thus forcing you to go through a gap in the posts, rather than over them.

....or not.:|

Last edited:
Top ten course; Rollin' Ridge has a green with this type of feature in the design. Pic below shows what your approach looks like. You have to choose to go just over or between the blockers. (This view doesn't really show it; but your approach shot is from a position slightly elevated to this green as well...)

Of course, most of the time, you would think the decision is to go over the top of them. However, just behind the basket, is a hill drop... (Now that I look at this pic a bit closer; it does appear they have placed a rock in front of the basket; which does allow an obstacle to aim for; to keep you on the green. That was not present in early design...)

It's a quite interesting green design.

If you get knocked down by the posts, on the way in; it's just outside circle edge putt; requiring a git more than normal height release...with the hill still immediately behind the basket.

bc325c8c.jpg

Last edited:

9216beec.jpg

It looks pretty interesting, I'd definitely play it. I highly doubt it's a 4 though.

You guize are all too harsh.
I'm sure it's at least a 3.7895.

They should string a rope across the top of all the posts, and make it a Mando you gotta go under the rope, thus forcing you to go through a gap in the posts, rather than over them.

....or not.:|

Here is the description of each hole's obstacle (gimmick) from the hole info note's:
1 ISLAND
2 ARTIFICIAL OBSTACLE
3 3D MANDO
4 NATURAL OBSTRUCTIONS
5 2D MANDO
6 HANGING BASKET
7 TUNNEL
8 ELEVATED BASKET
9 FUNNEL FAIRWAY TO BASKET OB

Funnel fairway to basket OB? No idea what that means. It's very gimmicky, but at least it's interesting I guess.

I'd still play it.

Top ten course; Rollin' Ridge has a green with this type of feature in the design. Pic below shows what your approach looks like. You have to choose to go just over or between the blockers. (This view doesn't really show it; but your approach shot is from a position slightly elevated to this green as well...)

Of course, most of the time, you would think the decision is to go over the top of them. However, just behind the basket, is a hill drop... (Now that I look at this pic a bit closer; it does appear they have placed a rock in front of the basket; which does allow an obstacle to aim for; to keep you on the green. That was not present in early design...)

It's a quite interesting green design.

If you get knocked down by the posts, on the way in; it's just outside circle edge putt; requiring a git more than normal height release...with the hill still immediately behind the basket.

bc325c8c.jpg

I've never played either course, but...

I'm willing to bet Rollin Ridge is closer to a 5.0, than this is to a 4.0. ...whatevs.

What DGCR needs more than anything is, for us (i.e. the DGCR collective) to make sure we write reviews so that every course has a good 20 or so. Once there are 20+ reviews, the sample size becomes large enough for the course's avg rating to be reasonably representative of what most players think it should be. At that point, everyone's had a chance to share their opinion, and a few outlier ratings don't sway the average too far.

Top ten course; Rollin' Ridge has a green with this type of feature in the design.

bc325c8c.jpg

Token Creek has a similar hole. The island hole. One of my favorites since I got a lucky air bounce ace on it last year 😁

Despite ostensibly being in my purview, I take no responsibility for this course (not that anyone was saying otherwise...). There have been a couple of surprises that have popped up in the Upstate region.

People don't realize that you have to enter negative values for longitudes in the western hemisphere so some courses end up in China on the map. I have corrected a few of these.

it's also the fact that when you copy and paste from google maps, it doesn't automatically include the (-)

Funnel fairway to basket OB? No idea what that means.

the fairway progressively tapers into a more narrow area as you approach the green, creating a funnel shape from tee to basket.

skeptical is understandable but i think it's disappointing more than anything. you'd think the course designer would want to wax poetic on what they love about the course but he barely describes it. it's more just a list of some amenities.

i look forward to more reviews

but not this one
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=11528&mode=rev#85152

it's my least favorite type of review: too many words to say absolutely nothing about the course. all this guy basically says is "this course was hard for me but i liked it"

9216beec.jpg
I seem to recall this course in Rock Hill SC. What was that name again? Oh yeah, Winthrop Gold. Mozzarella sticks on hole 2. I hear they have this little tournament there every year in October...

The course designer for The Gospel DISCovery in Simpsonville, SC just posted his biased review.
I just added this course to my wishlist. It looks fun to me, and I support what they are doing. Great tee signs!

It was a homer review with an inflated rating to promote the course, so I think that I will try to PM the designer about that and ask him to tone it down and be more realistic.

Gotta love the old sub-1500ft 9 holer getting a 5...:|

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=11731&mode=rev

Baskets look like a some kind of homemade/modified Marksman style single chain targets...

Somehow, this doesn't equate to a 5... quoted from their own review. :doh:

"Other Thoughts: Overall I think Finca Foresta has a lot of potential to become a very nice course, but it still needs some work as they are still designing it and haven't finished holes 6&7 yet."

Latest posts