• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Thanks. I have MUCH MORE faith in his efforts & dedication to the sport. I'm just a guy who plays when I can (4 kids limit my ability to play), and likes to write about courses.

So the two of you contribute in different ways.
He may have done more for "the game,"

...but you probably have more credibility among DGCR members, as well as the CONSIDERABLE number of lurkers, as far as course recommendations for the travelling player.

Again, I hold that ratings and reviews are basically useless to locals in terms of decision making.

He was 1003 rated in 2001. I'm looking at some others who were rated at or near that in 2001 right now: Avery Jenkins, Scott Martin, Todd Branch, Steve Brinster, Shawn Sinclair, Mike "Worm" Young, Kevin McCoy, David Greenwell, and Joel Kelly. Pretty solid company, I'd say.

He's in the Hall of Fame.

He still does more for disc golf in this state than anyone else.

I have no clue as to why he gave that rating.

There is a port a potty in the park, I would give it no less than a 4 based on that alone :doh:
Now you have me rethinking the 1 rating I may give a course I played yesterday. It had a port a potty right on the edge of the 17th fairway when its need the most toward the end of a round. Thru my tee shot, as I was walking by dropped my bag, went from fairway to port a potty, did my business, stepped out and then threw my putt. That's got to be at least a 1/2 point on the rating. If I find out some of those dents were made when somebody was using it, that's another 1/2 point. I will include it as a unique hole. :)

PDGA 1213, lol! The Beav is a cantankerous fellow. I played a tourney at Castle Hayne in Wilmington, around 2004, I think. There was a strange line down the middle or the fairways during one round. I was perplexed. Come to find out Beav was not a happy camper that round. He tied his bag strap to a stick and dragged his bag for most of a round leaving the peculiar marks down the fairway.

Kids courses are weird. I have a really low overall average rating partly because for a long time I was playing golf with my kids, so I was looking for shorter/fun courses. Some short courses are fun and some just suck, but fun factor has always been hard to quantify.

I'm not from Alan Beaver's area so I have no knowledge of the course in question, but a course I find the reviews of entertaining is Horizion Park in the Chicago 'burbs. Everybody says the same thing about it; great execution of what it is. What it is though is a kids/beginners course. So how do you rate it? To put a number on it is a struggle. To me, you have to rate it low; you can't give a 1,600' 9'er a three no matter how well it is executed. Since you can't give the designer credit for what they did with the rating, you just have to leave good info it in the review and hope somebody reads it.

Knowing that, when I went places with my kids I didn't look at the courses with ratings over 3. We were looking for short fun gems, and all the short fun gems have a rating hovering around 2.

If I had been in the area with my kids looking for someplace to throw and saw DiscGolfCraig's review, we would have thrown Red Bank. My rating of it probably would have been in the 1.5 range I gave Horizion Park. Like with Horizion Park, the rating has more to do with the weakness of the one-size-fits-all rating system where a course like Red Bank is rated on the same scale as Idlewild than it would with the execution of the design.

Those of us that have been on DGCR for a long time and write a lot a course review "get" that limitation. Alan Beaver probably is too busy to be on the Internet enough to hold that level of understanding of our thing here. Given that he's a PDGA HoF member and the rest of what we know about him, we should probably give this current example a pass and move on.

Last edited:
DreiPutz said:
Since you can't give the designer credit for what they did with the rating, you just have to leave good info it in the review and hope somebody reads it.

This is why I gave both the 1-star and 5-star reviews :thmbup:s. Ratings are usually irrelevant to me vs. whether or not I found the review helpful. Both reviews seemed helpful (clearly, craig's was the better of the two, but I'm not comparing/contrasting when I vote).

Edit: I guess I'd add that I find giving an inflated rating on a random crap course much less egregious than giving an really low rating to a destination-level course just to be spiteful or "to even things out" or any other random rationale people use because they're butthurt over xyz course's spot in the rankings or whatever.

Last edited:
This is why I gave both the 1-star and 5-star reviews :thmbup:s. Ratings are usually irrelevant to me vs. whether or not I found the review helpful. Both reviews seemed helpful (clearly, craig's was the better of the two, but I'm not comparing/contrasting when I vote).

Edit: I guess I'd add that I find giving an inflated rating on a random crap course much less egregious than giving an really low rating to a destination-level course just to be spiteful or "to even things out" or any other random rationale people use because they're butthurt over xyz course's spot in the rankings or whatever.

I find giving a rating you don't truly believe to be egregious whether the rating is high or low. Give me your honest assessment of the course and back it up with information. If you do that, I'll give you a thumbs up even if I have a significant disagreement with you on the overall rating.

Kids courses are weird.

I understand. I gave a kids course a low rating and got plenty of feedback about how I didn't understand the intention and was completely unfair. I gave the low rating because it had a fenced off area with barbed wire on it where kids could easily have lost discs. I didn't think you'd want to discourage the kids especially as they probably don't own a lot of extras.

disenfranchisement

Can we also take away voting privileges from people who give too many negative votes? Say for example someone who's given 1,000 helpful votes and 10,000 unhelpful votes?

Instead of such a rounded negative-vote number for disenfranchisement, why not a random one, maybe something like 3,593? :rolleyes:

Latest posts