• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Banshee Replacement?....

Well I've only ever thrown a Starfire a few times. The firebird seems to start its fade sooner than the banshee though. At least from my experience.

I've heard that a Banshee flies similar to a Banshee.

No, that's not a typo. Stick with the discs that you already throw well.

I have an extra banshee I can trade you next time I see you out. I think I may even have 2 in champion, 1 is dyed, give me a shout Aric.

Get you a Predator, thats the final word, nothing else to see here.

Get you a Predator, thats the final word, nothing else to see here.

That is my favorite overstable disc, but I am pretty certain that it is not that close to a Banshee. Ones a true fairway, the other is really borderline to the faster drivers. And I dont think the Preds turn as hard left (RHBH) IMO.

That is my favorite overstable disc, but I am pretty certain that it is not that close to a Banshee. Ones a true fairway, the other is really borderline to the faster drivers. And I dont think the Preds turn as hard left (RHBH) IMO.

hmm.. maybe there is some truth to that. Ill allow it, reopen the discussion

I like the banshee for its thin rim and it meathook flight....not sure there are many meathooks with shallow thin rims out there

In terms of overstable fairway drivers, the Predator is easily described as a longer banshee. It was a smooth transition for me from Banshee to Pred when my distances started to outgrow the banshee. I'm not sure if you are referencing the really domey Preds, but the flatter ones fade just as hard if not harder than a Banshee while maintaining a pretty straight flight for the first 75% of its flight.

I like the banshee for its thin rim and it meathook flight....not sure there are many meathooks with shallow thin rims out there
The Whippet and Blaze have even narrower rims and are very overstable yet controlable. The Blaze even comes in high end plastic in normal production.

The Whippet and Blaze have even narrower rims and are very overstable yet controlable. The Blaze even comes in high end plastic in normal production.

true I forgot all about the whippet.....I guess I assumed we were discussing newer discs...is the narrow rim what makes it a fairway driver....its easier to control than a fat rim?

true I forgot all about the whippet.....I guess I assumed we were discussing newer discs...is the narrow rim what makes it a fairway driver....its easier to control than a fat rim?
Yes, and sometimes. Discs like the Whippet and Blaze will be easier to control than faster, overstable discs, but if you can generate the speed you can perform more shots with the faster discs. So, if you have the speed to throw a Pred farther than a Whippet, it will do most everything a Whippet can do, but the Whippet won't be able to do everything a Predator can do. If you throw them the same distance, the Whippet will probably be easier to control.

I am so tempted to just by another Banshee but I am open to other suggestions by folks who have thrown a Banshee but find that a ____________ flies very similar to it. I thought about trying to locate a Star Whippet-X somewhere on line but cant find any. I also thought about a Z-Predator.

Millineum exp1 is damn close.
I would just stick with the banshee though. Grab a light DX and new champion one. Burn the dx into a few trees and use the champ as a thumber disc till it is broke in.

In terms of overstable fairway drivers, the Predator is easily described as a longer banshee. It was a smooth transition for me from Banshee to Pred when my distances started to outgrow the banshee. I'm not sure if you are referencing the really domey Preds, but the flatter ones fade just as hard if not harder than a Banshee while maintaining a pretty straight flight for the first 75% of its flight.

That sounds like my Pred, but my Banshees I have a really old DX one which still to this day turns harder left than the Pred and a newer champ one which also turns I guess at least earlier than the Pred.

Its funny because the old Banshee that is beat to hell still turns as hard as a Flick for someone throwing sub 300'.

Yes, and sometimes. Discs like the Whippet and Blaze will be easier to control than faster, overstable discs, but if you can generate the speed you can perform more shots with the faster discs. So, if you have the speed to throw a Pred farther than a Whippet, it will do most everything a Whippet can do, but the Whippet won't be able to do everything a Predator can do. If you throw them the same distance, the Whippet will probably be easier to control.

The Whippet is very controllable. It's very overstable, yet can be brought up to speed rather well. To me, it seemed very forgiving on release and would tend to stay flat and low, making it excellent for low shots in the woods and staying out of trouble. I've thrown it short for nice sharp skip shots, too.

I'm working now to use Firebirds/Predators powered down to cover this slot, though, as the experts recommend. But I really like that disc.

I've never thrown a Firebird. I guess from what Innovas flight-chart says is that they are very similar to the Starfire.:confused:

Yeah, those flight charts can be misleading. An F-bird(particularly the flat ones) are a good bit more piggish than a Starfire. Firebirds fade both earlier and harder.

xXx has a lot more fade immediately out of the gate and will never break in to the point that it holds a line.

quest at premier inferno. i had one but i gave it to my buddy cuz i owed him money. it was a pretty sweet disc but i had other discs that overlapped it

Bump for new research. My beloved Champ Banshee is butterscotch colored so during the Fall it is a pain to look for. It's a flat, pre flight numbers overstable beauty and I'd like to know what's out right now that's similar to the old Banshees. The new Champ Banshees I've seen in store are domey as hell and that's not gonna work for this boy. Open to any brand.

Bump for new research. My beloved Champ Banshee is butterscotch colored so during the Fall it is a pain to look for. It's a flat, pre flight numbers overstable beauty and I'd like to know what's out right now that's similar to the old Banshees. The new Champ Banshees I've seen in store are domey as hell and that's not gonna work for this boy. Open to any brand.

Gotta throw my vote in for the Resistor. The most stubborn HSS I've seen while still remaining a controllable fade. Fantastic disc, and alway board flat.

Latest posts