• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Banshee Replacement?....

I'm a big fan of the Banshee and love it for forehand throws. If you really like it, get a champ Banshee...personally I have retired the Banshee from my bag and the Reaper and FL occupy my 2 main FH spots. I agree with others that a Firebird is a pretty good choice, but IMO, it's not as overstable.

Champ Banshees are pretty overstable, so if you have one seasoned and lose it can be a pain to replace. If you need a stopgap to get there, the DX Banshee will beat in quicker OR you can use a Millennium EXP1 (which is the Banshee L mold) until you get a new Champ Banshee broken in.

The EXP1 is a strange disc. It's overstable, and the 1.7's that were in the CEish blend were money. It cries out of a Q run, but it's never been released in Q. All you can get is the base Millennium plastic, which is equivalent to Pro. It's still a cool disc to mix in with Banshees, it's like a beat Banshee out of the box.

If you want to bail on the Banshee, the logical place to go is Firebird/Predator. They are a bit faster, but both are plenty overstable. They are pretty much the gold standard for overstable drivers. I mess around with both of them, but always end up back to the Banshee.

FWIW, this is why I always have backup that I'm working on. Every disc I use right now has a back-up in the bag that I field throw and use in practice rounds to get it ready to go AND has at least one more sitting on the shelf in the basement. Once I've decided on a disc to throw, I buy them in 3's so I'm set.

Once I've decided on a disc to throw, I buy them in 3's so I'm set.

Does your wife understand this logic?;)
That would be a no. She also cannot figure out why I must hang on to all those Rocs because I might start throwing them again.

Way too insecure for my comfort. Once I've decided on a disc to throw, I buy them in 10's so I'm set.
In my next life I'm going to major in something that leads to a job where I can make money. Then I'm going to buy my discs in sets of 20's.

That would be a no. She also cannot figure out why I must hang on to all those Rocs because I might start throwing them again.

In my next life I'm going to major in something that leads to a job where I can make money. Then I'm going to buy my discs in sets of 20's.

That's weak sauce and aiming too low.

Major in something that will allow you to purchase the company, and then you'll never have to "buy" a disc again....

Screw a job. I have degrees in fields in which I could potentially make a good living, but I decided early on to own my own businesses & haven't used the degrees to land a single job or make a single dollar in my life. :) :thmbup: :hfive:

I have a Champ Banshee that I am nearly attached to. It is great for a fairway driver that is really overstable. Most of the suggestions that I have seen so far are much faster and do not fit the fairway driver mentality. As far as a Discraft model goes, it would seem that the Predator might be a good fit but I really do not like the way the predator feels in my hand in comparison to my Banshee. I am currently looking at getting a Z Reaper (might be OOP or potentially being re-released). It seems to have a lower profile than the Predator and still similar flight characteristics to the Banshee.

Champ Banshees are pretty overstable, so if you have one seasoned and lose it can be a pain to replace. If you need a stopgap to get there, the DX Banshee will beat in quicker OR you can use a Millennium EXP1 (which is the Banshee L mold) until you get a new Champ Banshee broken in.

The EXP1 is a strange disc. It's overstable, and the 1.7's that were in the CEish blend were money. It cries out of a Q run, but it's never been released in Q. All you can get is the base Millennium plastic, which is equivalent to Pro. It's still a cool disc to mix in with Banshees, it's like a beat Banshee out of the box.

If you want to bail on the Banshee, the logical place to go is Firebird/Predator. They are a bit faster, but both are plenty overstable. They are pretty much the gold standard for overstable drivers. I mess around with both of them, but always end up back to the Banshee.

FWIW, this is why I always have backup that I'm working on. Every disc I use right now has a back-up in the bag that I field throw and use in practice rounds to get it ready to go AND has at least one more sitting on the shelf in the basement. Once I've decided on a disc to throw, I buy them in 3's so I'm set.

That not a good plan! I have the same plan and that's exactly why I have somewhere around 170 discs, but still can't play very well. And NO, my wife doesn't understand at all. And she certainly isn't going to understand the 2 Opto Fuse's and 2 Ions coming in the mail in a few days! Threeputt's plan may make sense for DG and disc selection, but it's hell on a marriage.

I agree with those that suggest that you are better off sticking with the Ch. Banshee. The closest disc I found to it was the Z Xtra--yet another OOP situation :-/ Better to have a readily available supply of current production discs than to have to hunt down the last of the near extinct ones.

re: OP

how did you use your disc? The problem that i had with the Banshee is that it was too slow (and a result) compromised distance.

Depending on the use -
2 Banshee's - 1 DX and 1 Champ (DX to get close, with a few tree hits and one to season)
FL - This might be close.
Firebird - I'd only recommend an older one, as the newer ones are too much of a meathook. As your lost disc was beat in, i am guessing you took out a lot of the overstable nature. thus turning it into an FL.
Predator - Cheap, easy to find.... doubt it's what you are looking for... its a lot faster and longer.

I agree with those that suggest that you are better off sticking with the Ch. Banshee. The closest disc I found to it was the Z Xtra--yet another OOP situation :-/ Better to have a readily available supply of current production discs than to have to hunt down the last of the near extinct ones.
The Xtra was the closest Discraft disc to the Banshee, but as you said it's OOP.

If Z Xtra's and Q EXP1's were around, there would be more to talk about when somebody wanted to replace a Champ Banshee. But those discs are not around, so basically the best way to replace a Champ Banshee is to buy another Champ Banshee.

Stay with a Banshee!

Got to admit that they are probably my biggest Disc Golf addiction (Followed by Teebird & Firebird). If you liked the champ you get another one. If you get the chance try a Glow Champ - Really recommend the KC Pro but they are OOP and difficult to replace.

The Banshee is my hands-down favorite disc. It was the first disc I bought, I have two aces with Banshee's, and for narrow shots, or any time I want a right hand skip (throwing forehand), the Banshee is where it's at. I keep two dx banshee's in my bag, one beat the other new-ish.
If it's working, why mess with it?
Buy another Banshee.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. For right now my Champion Starfire is what I use when I try to reach for my now missing Banshee. I think I am just gonna get another one: same weight but different color so as not to remind me of the one I lost. I searched all over that damned course and almost wanted to cry when I realized that someone had kidnapped her and she wasnt coming back.

The Firebird may be comparable, but yeah you should definitely just get a new one. Love the Banshee. First premium plastic I bought and I always carry 2 in my bag. Great for a straight shots, and you know it's alway going to fade hard at the end. Love it for spike hyzers.

The Firebird may be comparable, but yeah you should definitely just get a new one. Love the Banshee. First premium plastic I bought and I always carry 2 in my bag. Great for a straight shots, and you know it's alway going to fade hard at the end. Love it for spike hyzers.

I've never thrown a Firebird. I guess from what Innovas flight-chart says is that they are very similar to the Starfire.:confused: