• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Banshee Replacement?....

Bump for new research. My beloved Champ Banshee is butterscotch colored so during the Fall it is a pain to look for. It's a flat, pre flight numbers overstable beauty and I'd like to know what's out right now that's similar to the old Banshees. The new Champ Banshees I've seen in store are domey as hell and that's not gonna work for this boy. Open to any brand.

I bag the Champ Banshee. My suggestion is to get another Banshee in Pink or Blue, even if it is domey... just look for the smallest dome you can find amongst the choices. Then go back to Butterscotch when Autumn is over and Winter sets in...

Opto Spark. Super flat overstable speed 7. Its marked as 7 4 0 3, id put the numbers more at 7 3 0 4. They can be pretty overstable

Holy necrothread!

Reptilian Tyrant. Best described as a Teebanshee. Pancake flat, quite overstable, but still gets some distance on a straight line before that super biting LSS kicks in with a vengeance. RDG lists it as 7/3/0/2.5, but I'd call it about a 7/4/0/3. I adore this thing for late fade forehands that really need to work right after getting through a tight, straight gap.

If you can find a puddle top Tyrant it's closer to a banshee and feels way better. Highly recommend.

Resistor is closest as it pains me to mention MVP. I like the small rim but hate the plastic outside of the summer months.

I have tried replacing Banshees many times but always go back. Call up a few places and have them check stock, I have bought 2 or 3 PFN pat# Banshees from Infinite in the last year or so. They are so unpopular that Innova still has some old stock laying around.

Tracker, ESP. Another not so
Popular disc but useful. Similar to a Banshee,
Maybe faster,
Slightly.

Bump for new research. My beloved Champ Banshee is butterscotch colored so during the Fall it is a pain to look for. It's a flat, pre flight numbers overstable beauty and I'd like to know what's out right now that's similar to the old Banshees. The new Champ Banshees I've seen in store are domey as hell and that's not gonna work for this boy. Open to any brand.

What shots do you use the old banshee for?

If the dome is that much of a problem I'd guess that you're looking for a headwind/downhill hog. In that case I'd recommend a flat firebird or a legacy enemy.

Some of the newer champ eagle X runs have been so OS that they fly like my beat in champ banshees. Specifically I'm thinking of the circle stamp JL ones sold through the innova factory store. However, they also have some dome to them, so they might not be what you're looking for.

If the dome is that much of a problem I'd guess that you're looking for a headwind/downhill hog. In that case I'd recommend a flat firebird or a legacy enemy.

Some of the newer champ eagle X runs have been so OS that they fly like my beat in champ banshees. Specifically I'm thinking of the circle stamp JL ones sold through the innova factory store. However, they also have some dome to them, so they might not be what you're looking for.

A bunch of utility stuff. Lots of FH rollers, skips, spike hyzers, thumbers, OS FH and flex shots. I probably use it most for FH rollers and thumbers which is why I really like the flatness.

Good suggestions so far. :thmbup:

A bunch of utility stuff. Lots of FH rollers, skips, spike hyzers, thumbers, OS FH and flex shots. I probably use it most for FH rollers and thumbers which is why I really like the flatness.

Good suggestions so far. :thmbup:

IMO it's not just the flatness but the blunt edge that makes a Banshee such a great FH roller. So I would take anything with a sharp edge off the list. I am not familiar with many discs from the newer companies, but that definitely takes Predator off of the list.

The Spark has an awesome blunt edge, blunter than the XXX. It's great for long FH rollers IMO

my gstar banshee's are in the slot for good reason. they are neither too long or not stable enough.

I would consider them a workhorse for my cold weather bag. once the snow starts flying I ski, hunt drink dark beer and dream about long tail wind assisted drives. i don't disc golf when it gets really cold.

If i were you and you were me, buy some gstar banshees. if you are venturing out of your comfort zone, yes i said it buy an xxx in goldline as light as you can find them.

disclaimer: I do not throw the banshee in any other plastic nor any time of the year but only during the late fall where gstar excels.

Last edited:

I'll agree on the Circle Stamps, there are some gummy more recent runs (they are really pearly) that come pretty close to the Circle Stamps. They may have more dome than you like though. The gummies are about the same dome as normal Eagles.

Tyrant would be the home team choice.

A VIP Longbowmen might work as well. Bonus points because they FH roll very well. A light Lucid Felon might work as well, depending on your arm. All 3 are flat.

Surprised there's no mention of the Discmania FD2. It's basically a slightly beaten in Banshee right out of the box.

I went with star firebirds when I started having trouble finding good champ banshees. I am not a fan of the new jolly launcher champ plastic and I do not want to pay a premium for old discs.

I went with star firebirds when I started having trouble finding good champ banshees. I am not a fan of the new jolly launcher champ plastic and I do not want to pay a premium for old discs.

Do you know if the Jolly Launchers have the massively plussed out rims that the current run of champs do? That is the reason that the new ones are so awful to me. Every time I try and throw a FH, they just slip out of my hand whenever they feel like it.

I also hate searching for the old ones and my reserve is getting critically low (I am down to one spare at this point). I love the Tyrant, but I use it for different stuff than my old Champ Banshees...