• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket or Tone pole

I have never played/thrown into a tone pole. I have thought about making one for the backyard until I can splurge on the Mach 2 I want. I just gotta hear those chains though!:D

To me not hearing the chains is like riding a bike with out the pawls in a hub or the classic freewheel whirring and clicking along!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I do appreciate a well built tone pole.
But I like baskets better.
I am curious as to the ages of people saying baskets or nothing.
Vs. The ages of people giving tones their due.

I do appreciate a well built tone pole.
But I like baskets better.
I am curious as to the ages of people saying baskets or nothing.
Vs. The ages of people giving tones their due.

I am betting those that deride the simple tonal have never been in a situation where the choice was play tonals or don't play

They are a world above simple object golf and, like I said earlier, an obvious intermediate between object and basket

As an old guy, I remember playing many object courses over the years. I think that a small target/tone pole can help the player develop a more narrow focus on the sweet spot that can translate to better focus on a basket. I still like chains better but like Thumber said, if the option is objects or nothing, then objects would be great.

Tone pole might actually be pretty great as a designated practice basket on a course. You'd distinctly hear somebody warming up while you're out on the course. No awkward fumbling around in the basket to retrieve your discs vs somebody elses. Narrower target for practice.

Where I live, there is a basket course and a pole course (Is it still there, lake Isabella?) about the same distance for me. Layout is a bit better on the basket course. In the last 3 years I've played the basket course about 100 times and the pole course twice. I think that says it all. A stationary, "sunk" throw is satisfying, in a way hitting a pole is not.

A tone pole 8" in diameter with a 21" vertical height for the strike zone is a close equivalent to a basket in terms of matching the "catching" zone size.

Whatever gives me something to keep score against. I'd prefer midgets with bad attitudes over tone poles, though.

I'm not sure it matters regarding the sensitivity as long as it was consistent around the pole and from pole to pole. For example, if the lightest possible touch did not trigger the mic, that would be OK as long as that level of force did not trigger it anywhere on the pole and on all poles.
most triple axis accellerometers are tiny and cheap ($10-$15), measure vibration/tap, can be adjusted for sensitivity, are 0-70 degree celcius operational, and can run off of a few coin batterys for a very long time, with sleep functions and all.
It would be easy to wire in a few LEDs powered off the same battery that would turn off after 3-5 seconds.

Produced in small quantities, you're looking at $20 per tone-pole. Much cheaper mass produced.

I'm not a fan of one uniform target as the rule across every course in the world. I'm a course bagger and when I find a new course that has something unique on it including targets it makes the game more fun and challenging. I've played baskets (many kinds including homemade) and hula hoops, tone poles, trees, rocks, farming equipment, rocks, holes in the ground and many others. A course like Lake Stevens DGC just wouldn't be as fun or challenging with "real" baskets; the unique baskets made by Dr. Fred has kept me coming back to that course over the years. Here is an example of the many unique baskets:

45a05158.jpg

A tone pole 8" in diameter with a 21" vertical height for the strike zone is a close equivalent to a basket in terms of matching the "catching" zone size.

True. But some of the tone poles that I have seen, extend almost all the way to the ground and do not have a painted designated hitting area on them.

I understand. Just saying that if you made a target pole, using an 8" post and marking the top 21" would be about right.

A perfect putt is one that lands in the tray without relying on chains.

If you want completely fair and unambiguous targets, just use trays on poles.

Old Macbride Park had that kind of setup, there was a 4x4 in the ground and on top was essentially a miniature deck, 2 foot square piece of plywood with a little 8 inch tall fence around the edges. it was a pretty short course that we played with freestyle 'bees but it was straight up impossible to get an ace on those targets.

there is no substitue for a quality basket. with chains. until someone comes up with a durable and cost-effective floating hologram target that launches digital fireworks upon sensing an ace, baskets win out.

I'm not a fan of one uniform target as the rule across every course in the world. I'm a course bagger and when I find a new course that has something unique on it including targets it makes the game more fun and challenging. I've played baskets (many kinds including homemade) and hula hoops, tone poles, trees, rocks, farming equipment, rocks, holes in the ground and many others. A course like Lake Stevens DGC just wouldn't be as fun or challenging with "real" baskets; the unique baskets made by Dr. Fred has kept me coming back to that course over the years. Here is an example of the many unique baskets:

45a05158.jpg

That's the crappiest homemade basket I've ever seen!

baskets for sure! There is nothing like banging chains:) also like said before you dont have to pick your putter up off the ground if it is muddy and it def gets muddy around the pins. Another thing is the chains help from hitting the pole so hard therefor your disc doesnt get as beat up and this said before also you may not hear the tone pole hit for an ace if its a light hit but you can hear the chains for miles lol as well as not able to see the pole on some holes so u may never know if you hit the pole without seeing it so the basket is great cause it keeps the disc in.

imagine a painted circle instead of a golf cup...
imagine a closed basketball net where the ball gets caught...
imagine a wall instead of a soccer net or football goalpost...
imagine a board with painted pins that stopped your bowling ball...

now snap out of it.
because there's a reason things aren't this way.
and that's because sports are all about penetration.

they dont call it banging chains for noting mane

Latest posts