• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Beaded vs Non-beaded putters

krooster

Birdie Member
Why do people have a preference? As far as I can tell, beaded putters putt and drive great, and non-beaded putters putt and drive great.

I can understand not liking deeper putters, until I found a grip modification that worked well for me I preferred shallower putters. But I never understood the concern about beads.

Some just don't like the feel of the bead. Maybe it's the way they grip the disc, and it 'catches' on their finger.

Some incorporate the bead into their grip and throw, and would not be comfortable without that bead.

For me, at first I preferred non-beaded putters and used the Warden. Then I changed my putting style from push/splush to spin, and found I liked beaded putters for the 'groove' they create for the index finger to rest upon. I'm okay either way: I like the Paul McBeth Prototype, which is non-beaded; the Pa4 (non-beaded); the Pa3 (beaded), and now I putt with the Marshal (small bead).

Feel, I have been through the ringer with putters man and I loved beaded at first. Then non beaded. The feel of the bead and my grip were causing comfort issues so I switched. It's a very personal thing and can get in your head enough to cause issues. Neither are better just what the thrower likes.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

I started out putting with a Ridge, which has a small bead and I created a grip that relied on having a bead.
My Index finger rests on the wing just about where the bead is being the bottom of the finger.

I've tried multiple beadless putters and I've been only somewhat successful with only a few.

I don't really care much either way, I just don't want the bottom of the rim to be sharp, needs to be rounded.

I don't notice a difference at all really. I throw a beadless and a small bead, putt a beadless. Used to putt the small bead I now only throw. With my grip, I don't notice at all.

I think I get a cleaner release putting with beads. Throwing them it doesn't matter as much, but I'm more used to having one.
I get a cleaner release from a Warlock than a Wizard, but I get a cleaner release from a big bead Aviar than a beadless one. :confused:

Beads on a putter are like guitar necks to me; I might have a preference but if the tone is killer the neck probably isn't going to be a deal breaker. Same way with a bead on my putter, if it's getting in the basket I can use anything.

I get a cleaner release from a Warlock than a Wizard, but I get a cleaner release from a big bead Aviar than a beadless one. :confused:

Beads on a putter are like guitar necks to me; I might have a preference but if the tone is killer the neck probably isn't going to be a deal breaker. Same way with a bead on my putter, if it's getting in the basket I can use anything.

Funny because I have to have a V-neck on a guitar, or a C-neck to a lesser extent, but don't think a bead makes a difference.

I putt with Aviars/Wardens but every once in a while I'll switch it up to Wizards, or Yetis. I think sometimes one feels more comfortable than others on occasion. Its never hurt my game . . . unless I pick the wrong putter that day. ;)

Why do people have a preference? As far as I can tell, beaded putters putt and drive great, and non-beaded putters putt and drive great.

I can understand not liking deeper putters, until I found a grip modification that worked well for me I preferred shallower putters. But I never understood the concern about beads.

Beads have not really bothered me either way, more the deeper rim's are the issue. I liked the Upshot #2 for a driving putter before I found the Star Shark 175 grams to do driving putter slot, the approach disc, and windy day putter. I could go up to a Classic Aviar/Aviar P&A depth for driving putter. What I do not like are really floppy putters like the Blowfly/II or Gumput/Gumput Driver for driving.

I know a guy who can do this with those DGA Ed Hendricks special plastic discs and drive those putters as he has demonstrated before but he prefers a more solid putter. Not sure what he uses now but I think since the Zone came out he has used that, the Classic ROC went oop in all but one plastic at the same time, driving putter he liked before the Zone. Classic ROC he liked was the oop Domed Pro Classic ROC.

Last edited:
Beads seem to give a straighter finish. They also sometimes hurt my fingers. And maybe do less well in the wind.

Wizard ftw

Outside of maybe a little bit of extra stability or durability with all else held equal, bead vs beadless on putters seems to be a preference thing mostly. I prefer beaded; a non beaded, sharp rim on a putter feels wrong and is distracting to me. I could probably get used to it if I found a putter that refused to miss though.

FWIW Dave D once said the point of adding a bead was for durability, it had nothing to do with flight. According to him, you can make an overstable beadless putter as easily as a beaded one. It just won't be as durable as a beaded one.

FWIW Dave D once said the point of adding a bead was for durability, it had nothing to do with flight. According to him, you can make an overstable beadless putter as easily as a beaded one. It just won't be as durable as a beaded one.

I have some XT Aviars that are beadless and they are as OS as any Aviars I've thrown.

I have some XT Aviars that are beadless and they are as OS as any Aviars I've thrown.
I think when he said that he was talking about why beads disappeared largely from disc design and he said the only reason he used them was to increase durability and now you do that with higher density plastics so there is no real reason for them. Following that logic, an XT Aviar doesn't really need a bead.

It depends on the mold and whether I'm putting or throwing it. Sometimes a bead helps with grip and makes the disc feel more secure in my hand. I like throwing an S-line P1x for approaches, but I hated putting with the D-line P1x. I can throw both P2s and KC Aviars well, the bead doesn't bother me. Jumping up to mids, the bead actually hinders my grip on a Roc3, so I use the MD3 instead.

for putting, I can use either with no problems.
For throwing I prefer a bead. It just slides over my middle finger better. Beadless can get hung up sometimes so I have to take it easy.

Latest posts