• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Backpack bag

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
Sometime around a year and half ago I bought a Voodoo Zulu to replace my 6 year old Innova Champion bag. Although overall I am pretty satisfied with the Zulu, I keep thinking about jumping onto the backpack bandwagon (mainly because they are nicer on the back than traditional bags of the same weight). Trouble is, good reviews of alot of bags are hard to come by anywhere except here (and I don't want to sift through 100 page long threads for hours).

So, if you could only have 1 bag for the rest of your discin days, and the only stipulation was that it had to be a backpack bag, what would want?

Keep in mind that in this hypothetical question, you are getting the bag for free.

Ranger by DD. I've had it for 5-6 months and couldn't ask for more......

Gorilla Simian.

There. I think we listed all the best in a few posts.

I should have mentioned that I would like to know why you would choose the one you do.

Grip A-series. It's like a cloud on your back.

Also it has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is top notch.

I own a Dynamic Discs Ranger Bag and I enjoy it very much, it has served me extremely well. Although its the only backpack Ive owned so far. I would like to get a Grip at some point but am so satisfied I am in no real rush at all, especially considering the price point. (I buy allot of discs too!)

I typically hold 17 discs in the main compartment and 1 putter in the outer putter pocket. If I had more space for discs I would probably carry more, but I feel this is a mood point. I shouldn't NEED more than 18 discs on a course. (you can carry more discs in the top compartment, probably 5 or so)

I can easily and quickly grab my putter and mini AS I am setting my bag down to the ground in one motion, very convenient. I can also grab my drink (beer/water) while I am walking while I have the bag on my back. The straps and "ride" of the bag are comfortable and the airflow on the back is great. I also fit my speaker on the outside pocket of the bag for jamz on the course.

The top compartment is very important for me. This I feel is what sets this Backpack apart from the others (and Im sure they have their advantages as well) bags. I can fit a full on sweatshirt in their if need be, I can fit a six pack of beers easily. But most of the time I carry my camera equipment as I am an avid photographer and love the outdoors. I have a Micro 4/3s camera I carry and a GoPro Hero 3 in the top compartment I carry most of the time, very easily by the way.

Lifetime warranty and the bag is made by OGIO!

That was just my 2₵

I made the leap from my Fade Crunch straight to a premium backpack. I figured I'd upgrade to that level at some point in my career, so I might as well skip the middle steps and go straight to the end result. After a good month plus of serious research, I settled on the Simian.

Things I like about:
- Handmade in the USA by a guy whose name I know: Can't overemphasize this - I love that my cash is going to a (very) small business in the States.
- Built-in stool: $$$. This thing is amazing, both for comfort and convenience. On multi-round days, it's a sure leg-saver.
- Space: Could hold 30+ discs if you wanted it to. As-is I have ~20 with room for flashlight, athletic tape, sandwiches, two water bottles, a long-sleeve shirt, towel, etc etc etc, all of which is easy to get to.
- Organization: Unlike most big bags, the Simian holds 12 discs just as comfortable as double that. You have the main compartment (12 discs), the pocket underneath (3 discs), and two large side pockets (6-7+/each). I love the ability to compartmentalize my set up.
- Durability: I've heard nothing but good things, and my experience has since backed that up.
- Track record: You hear so many negative experiences about newer bags (*cough* Catalyst *cough*). GB has been around for what, 7 years? And the Simian has been being developed over much of that. I knew what I was getting when I ordered it, and I haven't been disappointed.

I could go on and on. It does come down to personal preference in part, of course: I'm sure I'd enjoy having a Grip. But the Simian was my choice for the reasons above, among others, and I couldn't be more pleased. I expect it to be my bag for life.

Anyone have any info about the prodiscus bag? Like how much it is or where you can get one? And does anyone own a Milennium Flak? How do u like it?

I own an A-series and I'm very happy with it... have friends with L-Series and Rangers. All three are nice, although L-series would be my third choice. But honestly, if my A-series ever dissappears i would buy a Ranger. They fixed the issues it had in the first run, and I think I like the large storage compartment up top better than A-Series side pockets. The Quiver pocket on grip bag is... meh. I never putt with my bag on my shoulders so it's non-essential to me.

Anyone have any info about the prodiscus bag? Like how much it is or where you can get one? And does anyone own a Milennium Flak? How do u like it?

Marshall Street has the Prodiscus large and small bags, $289 for the large, $249 for the small, unless you need to carry a TON of stuff, go with the small.

Grip A-series. It's like a cloud on your back.

Also it has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is top notch.

Only one I've owned after doing a good amount of research. For the price, the materials are the bee's kneez, the putter quiver pocket is top notch, great rail supports on the bottom, nice aesthetics, and all the storage you could want. Just a great bag.

For me it depends on what you are looking for storage wise.

Huge Amount of Storage:
I am a bigger fan of the Prodiscus Large bag over the Mahal. I like the color combos and the organization better. But I am not a fan of this size bag

Standard Storage:
Grip Bag wins over the Ergo2 only because I don't like the vertical style of disc storage. Plus the Grip is set up very nice for tournament rounds.
I actually really wanted to get a Prodiscus Small Bag but it's such a pain just to find them for sale on this side of the pond without backordering, I couldn't imagine the hassles that would come if there was an issue. Plus the Grip bag is a Lifetime Warranty that is very clear about what does and does not void it.

You really can't go wrong with the Grip, Ergo2, Prodiscus Lg/Sm, or Golf Mahal. They are all solid built bags and the companies all seem to treat their customers the right way.

I have a Simian and I love it. The only issue is when holding gear and other stuff whcih it can handle a lot, sometimes you lose on disc storage. That being said.

The mahal seems to be the best over all back pack. But you need to look at what you want.

the Simian you can sit on, for Tourneys i hate to bring a chair with me, so this is perfect. It works for camping and other things also.

I have to say I am leaning towards the simian, with the Flak and Prodiscus in a close second (I'm a big Milennium fan, and the prodiscus bags look sweet as well).

I carry anywhere from 16-20 discs, so the Simian should be able to hold enough (12 main, 3 bottom, 2 putters, the rest in a side pocket).

The things I am still wary about:

Comfort - I am very short (5'), anyone 5' 6" or under ever use a simian? How'd it feel?

Rain - The prodiscus bags have an awesome rainfly built in (are there others with this feature as well? - anyone have comments about the usefulness/value of this?), but it seems the Simian does not. A rainfly would be a huge perk for me since I care not what the weather is like when I play (rain rounds are sometimes the most fun).

Anyone have any comments about how the Simian performs in rain? Does the seat get soaked all the way through and stay wet for hours/days afterwards? Do the inner compartments get wet in heavy rain? I'm not concerned about needing to set my bag down because setting my bag on a stool annoys the hell out of me (I try that sometimes but always end up setting my bag on the muddy ground anyway, so I plan on just plasti-coating the bottom of whatever backpack I get).

Is there a place that you can hold an umbrella such that you can leave it open while its on and still get the bag on/off with the umbrella open? That would be awesome and suffice in place of the rainfly.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I have to say I am leaning towards the simian, with the Flak and Prodiscus in a close second (I'm a big Milennium fan, and the prodiscus bags look sweet as well).

I carry anywhere from 16-20 discs, so the Simian should be able to hold enough (12 main, 3 bottom, 2 putters, the rest in a side pocket).

The things I am still wary about:

Comfort - I am very short (5'), anyone 5' 6" or under ever use a simian? How'd it feel?

Rain - The prodiscus bags have an awesome rainfly built in (are there others with this feature as well? - anyone have comments about the usefulness/value of this?), but it seems the Simian does not. A rainfly would be a huge perk for me since I care not what the weather is like when I play (rain rounds are sometimes the most fun).

Anyone have any comments about how the Simian performs in rain? Does the seat get soaked all the way through and stay wet for hours/days afterwards? Do the inner compartments get wet in heavy rain? I'm not concerned about needing to set my bag down because setting my bag on a stool annoys the hell out of me (I try that sometimes but always end up setting my bag on the muddy ground anyway, so I plan on just plasti-coating the bottom of whatever backpack I get).

Is there a place that you can hold an umbrella such that you can leave it open while its on and still get the bag on/off with the umbrella open? That would be awesome and suffice in place of the rainfly.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

It gets wet, but things insdide don't really get wet. It's strong stuff. You can place an umbrella in the thing to cover the bag, you just have to pull it out to sit down, and if they have a weird cup thing at the handle (to hold the wires in place) that gets caught in there pulling it out.

Also, it can get heavy depending on what you put in it. But it's super comfortable.

Latest posts