• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best disc for Top of the World shot?

Agree 100%. You're going to be at nearly 10,000'. The altitude is a significant factor.

My answer is a Discraft Glide. It's my go to altitude disc.

10,000 feet? Is that one of the highest courses in the world? I can't imagine there are many higher than that.

I'd go with a straight mid, so as not to stray off line too much.

10,000 feet? Is that one of the highest courses in the world? I can't imagine there are many higher than that.

I'd go with a straight mid, so as not to stray off line too much.

Vertical 2,047 ft (624 m)
Top elevation 10,035 ft (3,059 m)
Base elevation 7,988 ft (2,435 m)

As stable as you can get. Notice that I did not say over-stable. Anything that has lateral movement becomes dependent on external forces to affect its glide. Overstable always crashes hard and short when it has air under it; there is no ground-effect lift giving it any last second juices to keep it going forward. Under stable just turn for days, and I have even witnessed a few completely turn and eventually fly back 180 degrees from its originally trajectory if there is any wind involved.

I mean TeeBird, Sword, Gazelle, Truth stable. My PFN Star TeeBirds absolutely crush elevated shots for distance and accuracy. I have also had good results from stable putters like the Wizard, Ion, and Pure.

Amazing course! Such a beautiful setting and taking a chair lift to start your round is a pretty cool way to get it going!

I threw two discs on 18 and it took a considerable amount of self control not to just chuck the whole bag there. I threw a well seasoned FR Volt and a SOLS. Both shots worked out well. As stated earlier, the trick is to match your release angle to the angle of the slope and let gravity be your friend. And the elevation does make everything fly substantially more stable.

I'll echo the others who have said you want something STABLE, not over- or under-stable. Understable could easily flip and end up in the next county. Overstable will not have enough glide to get the distance you want. You want straight and glidey.

Personally my $$ disc for these shots is an Icon Ghost. Closest comparison is an Ontario Roc. Stays dead straight and just glides forever.

If you have to go driver, pick something as straight as possible, erring on the overstable side. At least you know where it will finish.

There's something really satisfying about throwing a mid or putter out there at a downward angle and watching it just sail forever.

Something slow (for its respective class) and glidey. I would probably have to throw at least (sounds like a bag emptier!) a Roc as hard as I can.

Latest posts