• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best dog disc/putter

DStar

So I've been practicing my putting indoors with my 3yr pit bull retrieving my misses. I was lucky enough to find a used champ aviar and proton ion at my PIAS for cheap and they have held up pretty well. It took one miss with my brand new glow wizard for her to chomp almost right through it. :|

I like the feel of the bead on the wizard. Do you think the evo line would hold up? Lucid judge? Z Challenger(not sure if I like the small bead)? The ion feels similar (and soft too which I like) and has held up well but gets really sweaty in the Texas heat. Not really a fan of the champ aviar but couldn't really tell you why. I want to practice my putting with a putter I will use in the field, be able to withstand a chomp here and there, and be soft enough to grab the chains.

I had good results with MVP and an old girlfriends doberman. It was his favorite toy too, they were inseparable. Used a Neutron Anode I found at my old home course and we played fetch all the time.

I'd go with an Evo Wiz if you want to stick to Gateway.

The Latitude Opto Bite is a good dog disc. A fastback design with very very durable plastic. 150 grams is a little heavy for my 33 lb mutt, but a predictable flyer.

The Latitude Opto Bite is a good dog disc. A fastback design with very very durable plastic. 150 grams is a little heavy for my 33 lb mutt, but a predictable flyer.
:thmbup: I JUST got a Bite after looking for it in the store forever. My dog seems to love it (methinks because it's lighter than a regular disc) which is great because I was sick of wiping slobber off my putter every 5 seconds. She seems to never want her dog discs and instead prefers my golf discs.

To the OP I would suggest a more malleable premium plastic if you are going that route. Discraft's FLX plastic is good. I guess it depends if your dog catches discs and whatnot. Innova Star plastic has also proven dogworthy through my own experience.

We also got a Gumbputt for the dog which is a decent bet for pup disc. The flight plate punctures easily so it all depends on how destructive your dog is. We're pretty lucky that our pup is pretty gentle with discs when she's not diving head-first to pick them up haha.

My boxer loves the red kong frisbee. He wants nothing to do with my discs, which is really lucky for me.

Get some Flippy Floppers by Hyper Pet, available here in IL at Menards. They are the best flying, most heavy-duty cloth/rubber soft disc on the market... Much better for your dog's teeth and for your putters. I find it's good practice to train your dogs to only pick up their discs, especially if you ever take them to a course or have friends over putting.

The only challengers you can get in z plastic are limited runs, so they might not make the best chew toys....

The opto bite from lat 64 was designed for thism the plastic is fairly durable, but the best part of it for the dog is that it will fly like a putter but it has a very small rim. So if they like to go at it then they wont break teeth. Also i believe they only come in 130ish weights...could be wrong.

The opto bite from lat 64 was designed for thism the plastic is fairly durable, but the best part of it for the dog is that it will fly like a putter but it has a very small rim. So if they like to go at it then they wont break teeth. Also i believe they only come in 130ish weights...could be wrong.

He's looking for a disc for putting practice (his dog fetches the misses), not for exercising the dogs. The Bite was the first thing I thought of too, but it isn't PDGA Approved, which I think is a huge mistake on Lat's part. It's a great large diameter fastback.

Thought gateway just came out with a dog blend putter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am fairly certain that dog toy wizards are still not tough enough for that. It's a phrase to describe the flex and surface texture.

I doubt he's going to find anything PDGA Approved that's durable enough for a full grown Pit.

She's actually really gentle with them. It's just when she decides to play chase instead of fetch that worries me. That glow wiz might as well have been a stick of butter.

Aren't Hero Super Sonics pdga approved? since it's the same mold as a sonic? They're light and not very great for putting, but.... you can get a stack of blems (x-outs) cheap! ... $6 each

Candy = same as champion plastic (better bite resistance)
Taffy = same as star plastic (softer and bite marks won't be as sharp)

http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs/hero-super-sonic-215

My dog loves em (rat terrier). He's a heavy biter a candy super sonic lasts 2-3 months while playing catch for 20-30 minutes daily.