• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] best putter (read first)

Any Aviar would be a good choice. I've thrown the DX grid stamp and P & A and XD and currently throw a Yeti Pro. Haven't found one yet I didn't like.

I know everyone loves Aviars, but when I first started playing DG I started with a pro Aviar PnA, and it was not a good putter for me as a beginner. The main problem I had with it was that it was fairly stable and would hyzer out at the end of the flight, causing it to chain out to the left. When I switched to less stable putters like the MVP Anode and Gateway Magic, my putting improved quite a bit. As a beginner, it's pretty hard to make yourself have the confidence to putt hard enough to appreciate a stable putter like an Aviar in my experience.

I know everyone loves Aviars, but when I first started playing DG I started with a pro Aviar PnA, and it was not a good putter for me as a beginner. The main problem I had with it was that it was fairly stable and would hyzer out at the end of the flight, causing it to chain out to the left. When I switched to less stable putters like the MVP Anode and Gateway Magic, my putting improved quite a bit. As a beginner, it's pretty hard to make yourself have the confidence to putt hard enough to appreciate a stable putter like an Aviar in my experience.

I believe the pro Aviars were actually big bead molds, which are significantly more stable than an Aviar PnA, which are beadless. I would not recommend a BB Aviar to a beginner for putting for this reason.
An Anode and Aviar PnA (and Warlock for that matter) are nearly identical in rim shape and stability wise; straigh with a bit of fade when new.

I believe the pro Aviars were actually big bead molds, which are significantly more stable than an Aviar PnA, which are beadless. I would not recommend a BB Aviar to a beginner for putting for this reason.
An Anode and Aviar PnA (and Warlock for that matter) are nearly identical in rim shape and stability wise; straigh with a bit of fade when new.

The Aviar I used was a PnA in pro plastic. It did not have a bead. It was soft and almost got a little floppy over time, so when I started push putting, it was very poor for that, which is when I started looking for a different putter.

I don't know about all Aviar PnA's but mine was definitely a bit more stable than an Anode (or else I just got an unusually understable Anode). The Aviar was a lot more stable than a Magic. Most disc makers are obviously not very consistent, so your mileage may vary of course. I'm just talking about my own experience with the discs I used.

like so?

5927903995_1e12b6b63a_b.jpg

There was only one production run of "Pro" Aviars. Plenty of KC Pro, JK Pro, and Yeti Pro, but only one Pro (unless the Proshop offered some like they did Pro TeeBirds).

They were indeed Big Beads and on the firmer side. It sounds like hughes is describing R-Pros which will still hyzer out on you if you don't putt strong enough. I used to see fade out of Classic Aviars which are rated 0 on turn and fade.

Whatever you chose make sure it's a Gateway Putter. They're fairly cheap and plenty of different plastic varieties for your friend to figure out what they like.

wheres all the die hard mvp fans at??? im sure there will be some chirp about ions

This is why. The OP:

I already know that the best putter is the one that feels most comfortable and you have the most experience with, but I'm training a new player and every putter feels the same to them. So I essentially have the ability to decide what putter they'll be using. with this in mind what putter do you guys think likes the chains the most.

The bold part doesn't make much sense to me. Everyone just may as well name their favorite putter (which is what always happens anyway).

Besides, everyone on this site knows that the Ion is the best putter in disc golf. :D

This is why. The OP:

The bold part doesn't make much sense to me. Everyone just may as well name their favorite putter (which is what always happens anyway).

Besides, everyone on this site knows that the Rhyno is the best putter in disc golf. :D

You must be reading it wrong.

It said Rhyno. :D

My first putter was a Focus and I still have it. The Wizard is very similar and I have one of those also

I would recommend a putter that they can throw from the tee-pad on short holes and putt with. Whatever feels comfortable enough to instill confidence doing both. Have them throw some putters with different grips 100' out and around the cage.

Big Bead Aviar, Wizard, Rhyno, or Pure are my favorites.

Good luck.:hfive:

Beginner here & currently throwing a Polecat. It's great when I have a straight shot but when I don't.. My home course is Disctraction which means I'm trying to get around trees a good bit of the time. The Polecat either flattens out on me or turns over (?) & starts rolling (towards the nearest ditch) on any but the shortest hyzer putts.

Anyone care to recommend a 2nd putter for these shots?

^^^ I'd recommend an Anode. It can take more power than a lid without turning over on you. It is also a great, neutral driving putter.

Oh, and welcome to DGCR. :thmbup:

Last edited:
If it doesn't matter, then go with a DX Aviar P&A. It's as "vanilla" of a putter as you can get. As they learn they can figure out if they want something more/less stable more/less glide deeper/shallower etc etc.

^^^ I'd recommend an Anode. It can take more power than a lid without turning over on you. It is also a great, neutral driving putter.

Oh, and welcome to DGCR. :thmbup:

Local Wal-of-China didn't carry it, so I went with an Aviar instead since it seemed like their closest equivalent. Made a couple of nice recovery shots with it and ended up sinking my longest putt yet - 40' or so forehand shot out of the rough for birdie. MRW --> :eek: Lot of luck there but thanks just the same! Even though I ended up with a different disc that was still helpful.. especially once I figured out what a "lid" is..

SO, some people are saying what I'd expect, and that is. GO with a easy to use putter. I think that is a Understable putter. But the classics are there for a reason. Basic design, good feel, nothing to think much about, avoid rhynos and challengers...go with a straight forward pitch disc

- Wizard
- Aviar
- Summit
- Focus
- my new fave. Prodigy Pa4,