• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best short approach disc?

Exactly, although a Suspect could fit in there too. Depending on how fierce the wind is.

If your not aware the Suspect is a tweener midrange, just like the Jokeri is a tweener putter. They are almost the same disc, but the Suspect has slightly more fade.

Jokeri 4302, Suspect 4303. Even though ones a putter, ones a mid.

Most putters handle the wind okay. If you insist on fade, then OS, sure. Suspect's a slow mid, more like a faster putter. Jokeri may be too, going by rim size. Tangent and Tensor qualify in the slow mid/fast putter group too...blunt edges, narrower rims.

Most putters handle the wind okay. If you insist on fade, then OS, sure. Suspect's a slow mid, more like a faster putter. Jokeri may be too, going by rim size. Tangent and Tensor qualify in the slow mid/fast putter group too...blunt edges, narrower rims.

That's also why I brought up the Ion, because it is NOT good in the wind, but is a better choice for that shot if there isn't much wind. For me anyway

My fav. Upshot disc ever is a best to heck RFF wizard. Totally covered top gives me the optimal release point. It glides amazingly well while retaining a reliable dose of stability. It sits immediately upon impact & I've had countless 60Ft.+ throw ins with it. If recommend working in an RFF wizard for anyne looking for "The One" approach disc that can do it all.

That's also why I brought up the Ion, because it is NOT good in the wind, but is a better choice for that shot if there isn't much wind. For me anyway

Not so sure an Ion isn't good in the wind, although I've never thrown one. A putter's flight is slow, and they all have blunt edges. That keeps them from turning and burning in the wind, assuming for short approach. Driving with them is another matter and where understable-stable-overstable comes into play.

I've thrown short approach into a headwind with Magics and not a problem, although I normally use a Voodoo in that role.

Yeah. Still just see people suggesting discs less stable than his Wizard which he said he uses for anhyzers :doh:

LOL, I think the premise of the OP may be flawed. Such as wanting OS and reliable fade on short approach or "touch" shots. If that's the case, just skip in a Whippet.

LOL, I think the premise of the OP may be flawed. Such as wanting OS and reliable fade on short approach or "touch" shots. If that's the case, just skip in a Whippet.

What I keep pointing out, is he didn't say that's what he wants, he said that's the idea of what he thought would work best. And the asked what "you" use.

Not so sure an Ion isn't good in the wind, although I've never thrown one. A putter's flight is slow, and they all have blunt edges. That keeps them from turning and burning in the wind, assuming for short approach. Driving with them is another matter and where understable-stable-overstable comes into play.

I've thrown short approach into a headwind with Magics and not a problem, although I normally use a Voodoo in that role.

What I have noticed with the ion is it does a lot of the UP/DOWN windy behavior. If I did pull it out in the wind it would be a tail wind, or slightly Left to Right tail wind. Against the wind it goes all over the place, (up and down, side to side it's pretty consistent) this is a moderate to strong wind, in a light wind it's fine.

What I keep pointing out, is he didn't say that's what he wants, he said that's the idea of what he thought would work best. And the asked what "you" use.

Forget what disc might be used, I don't even use the shot he's describing...such as OS with reliable fade just beyond putting range.

What I have noticed with the ion is it does a lot of the UP/DOWN windy behavior. If I did pull it out in the wind it would be a tail wind, or slightly Left to Right tail wind. Against the wind it goes all over the place, (up and down, side to side it's pretty consistent) this is a moderate to strong wind, in a light wind it's fine.

Keep the nose down and it won't do that. I see too many people arcing all their approach shots towards the basket. Better to throw flat and level, chest high, especially with putters. You'll see straighter flight that way and your shots won't be affected by the wind nearly as much.

Keep the nose down and it won't do that. I see too many people arcing all their approach shots towards the basket. Better to throw flat and level, chest high, especially with putters. You'll see straighter flight that way and your shots won't be affected by the wind nearly as much.

Hmm, I'll have to take note of that. I was practicing putting in the wind today. I was doing just fine with some, I noticed the ion was doing that more than the others, but I'll definitely keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

My fav. Upshot disc ever is a best to heck RFF wizard. Totally covered top gives me the optimal release point. It glides amazingly well while retaining a reliable dose of stability. It sits immediately upon impact & I've had countless 60Ft.+ throw ins with it. If recommend working in an RFF wizard for anyne looking for "The One" approach disc that can do it all.
I've been told more than a few times that I'm pretty good at this shot and I use the same thing. A really soft potter in the same mold that I putt with. I can't jump putt so I backhand everything 45-120 with it. The key is to get your weight back so you can sort of see the putter and the basket when you throw. From there it is just a matter of developing the touch and aim. Foot position is incredibly important for aim.

Hmm, I'll have to take note of that. I was practicing putting in the wind today. I was doing just fine with some, I noticed the ion was doing that more than the others, but I'll definitely keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Well, I was talking about approach shots with a putter, but the same goes for putting in the wind, keep the nose down. Maybe easier said than done.

I play one course that's always very windy. I can use a Voodoo, Anode, Magnet, Magic, whatever, for shorter approach and they're minimally affected by the wind. They'll fly straight and land flat, unless I'm throwing deliberate hyzers or anhyzers. And even those will typically pan out and land fairly flat with a putter.

Soft vibram ridge. This thing is super floppy. It's also has pretty reliable fade to it when thrown with soft/mid power, which has made it super reliable for me. It just wants to stay where it lands. If you bounce off a tree on your approach, it just dies where you hit it, so you can try to snake it through a few trees without fear of it skipping far off to the side.

If I'm running chains, I'll often put a bit of anny on it, and watch it flex out. Unless I really over do the release angle, it always comes back nicely. Without putting a lot of power behind it, it'll fade out of a straight shot. I throw flat like that off the tee at my local course, shortish hole, probably 200 or a bit under. Basket is at the top edge of a hill, with a long roll down if you go too far. Throw flat and to the right, always fades back into the circle. Or into the trees blocking the shot, but the trajectory was there. A lot of approach shots I'll give it a good hyzer for, high if its open, or low to stay under branches. Holds a great hyzer line, doesn't like to skip at all, even on the low shots.

Yeah. Still just see people suggesting discs less stable than his Wizard which he said he uses for anhyzers :doh:

You are hopeless. Do you still not realize he is not asking for an OS suggestion? Go search for the question marks. :lol:

Latest posts