• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best way to get a disc out of a tree

Golf ball or climb.

Fat Max tape measure works up to a point, too.

Tie a string around a rock or ball or something then throw the rock with the string attached over the branch that the disc is in. Now take both ends of the string or rope and shake the branch violently. It should come down if you get the string on the right branch. :thmbup:

Slingshot is a good option. Everything else[water bottle, baseball, other discs, hockey puck] will eventually get caught in the tree. Seen it happen.

Long Branch!

A buddy of mine's disc got stuck in a tree. It was one of his favorite discs & he was not going to leave without it! We started throwing stuff at the disc trying to get it down. We threw rocks, golf balls, sticks, water bottles, other discs. Others playing through also took a crack at it. One guy had a baseball & threw that at it a couple times with no luck. Then we tried climbing the tree. Actually my buddy hoisted his GF on his shoulders & she attempted to climb the tree. Not working & very dangerous (why risk breaking your neck trying to get a disc out of a tree?). We were there for like 30 minutes or more, all in vain. I looked around in the bushes & found a long tree branch. This branch was about 3" in diameter at the base & about 25' long. It was hard to hoist it up it was so long. I tossed this up at the branch the disc was sitting on & it finally came down out of the tree!

Telescoping light bulb installer (I think they go up to about 20' 25')you can get at local home improvement store. I saw a guy using one of these once that had something attached to get discs down.

Met a guy at the Ocala Greenway course (i believe) who walked the course with a slingshot every day. Had found 6 that day in trees, calls the number and returns them. Not sure he even plays DG.

You can always use a baseball.. Drill the center and tie a rope through it for those high spots. I'm pretty sure you could shake some branches that way!

This. Just be sure to use a long enough rope, or it may get stuck as well. Perhaps some monofilament would work...

I have a low powered air soft pistol - really small, came free in a jar of air soft BBs. Muzzle Velocity around 180 ft /sec. Won't move a disc wedged in branch, but can knock a disc that is resting on branch. Hasn't damaged premium plastics, not sure about DX. I use it as a "last resort" when rocks and sticks don't work.

Trained Monkey

Now there's a selling point for Gorilla Boy: "Our bags come with trained monkeys who retrieve treed discs... just don't run out of bananas."

On 2nd thought, I don't wanna put up with the mess on all the courses. :thmbdown:

Tie a string around a rock or ball or something then throw the rock with the string attached over the branch that the disc is in. Now take both ends of the string or rope and shake the branch violently. It should come down if you get the string on the right branch. :thmbup:

I like this idea - thought comes to mind of a 2-3 oz banked fishing weight and some strong nylon twine. You could throw a rig like that way up into a tree easier than a ball or rock. Takes less space in bag, just gotta keep 40-50 feet of twine nice'n'neat to avoid getting tangled in your bag.

Thing is, to this point, discs in trees has been a fairly infrequent issue during my rounds.

* realizes he's just cursed himself - will likely lose 2-3 discs in trees over the next week or so.

** realizes that if he carries such a device in his bag, fate is such that he'll likely never need it... all the more reason to carry one!

Arborists use throw weights (essentially small weighted sand bags with a hoop to attach a line to.) for setting up their safety lines.

Throw weights/line.

The throw weight with a line could be a useful tool on the dg course.

One of the nice things about golf balls is that they're cheap and disposable; all of the ones in my bag have been found for free over the years. While I like the idea of a baseball due to its increased likelihood of hitting and dislodging the Disc per attempt, you would have to keep chasing it down if you missed. With a dozen golf balls, you stand and fire away rapidly, and who cares if you can't find a couple of them afterward? This scenario might happen to me once every two or three years, to be honest, and by the time it happens again, I've incidentally found enough golf balls walking about my life to replenish the supply in my bag. Cost = $0, space/weight in bag = minimal, effort = minimal.

(And yes, I capitalize "Disc" but not "golf ball" on purpose.)

10 golfballs/1 lb. Dont have the space or back to carry the extra weight of all these ideas for every round...especially when it is relatively easy to just find golfball sized rocks in most places I play

Ash.

images

Come get some.

Met a guy at the Ocala Greenway course (i believe) who walked the course with a slingshot every day. Had found 6 that day in trees, calls the number and returns them. Not sure he even plays DG.

I'd like to shake his hand...

Telescoping light bulb installer (I think they go up to about 20' 25')you can get at local home improvement store. I saw a guy using one of these once that had something attached to get discs down.

Already tried it. Wasn't long enough and I ended up bending it.